Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fair Skin and What to do about it???

Red Man

Banned
Reaction score
I have red hair and very pale skin. I have looked at just about every forum for advice on this. What the hell do I have to do to get a healthy glow. Tanning beds really don't do it for me and neither does the sun which leaves moisturizers and spray tans. I've done both but I don't have time to moisturize and I can't reach my whole back. Spray tans make me look orange if I go too dark and they look ridiculous if you sweat and they become uneven.

What in christ's name is a guy like me to do then? Help.

jtlancer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Embrace your paleness and go for the opposite (dark hair, dark skin). In
many cases opposites attract. I think there is some built in programming
for this (genetic) in order to vary the gene pool maximally. Or maybe
its just curiosity.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A little bit of tanning makes you a bit darker but that's about it. That's how your body is. It's not a big deal. Be happy you were born normal.

Betamax

Don Juan
Reaction score
My daughter has red hair and very fair skin. She is forced to stay out of the sun for most of the time and as mentioned tanning beds and fake tan are out as they turn her skin a bright orange too. She has learned to live with it, thats all you can do.

She frequently curses the sun.

In Victorian times in England and Europe it was fashionable to be pale, perhaps skin fashion will come full circle and pale will be in again.

I do feel sorry for her and others with fair skin, it seems not fair (excuse the pun)

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Switch to a pompadour hairstyle and get a gig on TV. Preferably in comedy.

;)

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is use lots of sunscreen. Tanning causes cancer in people like me and you.

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The drug's trade name is 'melanotan'. There's a video on this blog that describes the drug's action and has a few Dr.s advocating it as a sort of treatment to protect against skin cancer.

http://thepalegirlsguide.wordpress....tan-by-injection-welcome-to-the-21st-century/

It basically stimulates the tan producing cells in your skin to generate a tan without the need for the stimulus of sun exposure. Works particularly well in naturally pale people apparently.

Also check out this wired article for a more scientific view on the drug.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/01/tan/

DonutMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
From one ginger to another...just learn to accept yourself the way you are. I used to use my gingerness as a mental crutch, to try to explain why I didn't really do that well with women. After years of maturing I have grown to realize that it doesn't matter and I am still attractive to women. Now I am having the most success ever and have gotten with some girls I one day would of thought were much better looking than me.

Change what you can by working out and having a good body, that will make up for a lot of what you think you lack by not being able to tan. I am a pale mother f***** and accept it the way I am.

TomSwift

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP - I found this awhile ago and I have had decent results with it. Be careful though, and DO NOT exceed the amount of time exposure (in other words, don't sit long enough to burn).

The key to tanning fair skin is complex; but let me try to condense it to the essentials. Your body produces two types of melanins; eumelanin and pheomelanin. The former tans brown and the latter tans ruddy (or red). Different people produce the two melanins in different amounts and, most importantly, in different proportions. Pheomelanin breaks down quickly when exposed to UVA or UVB, but eumelanin does not. In your case, your melanocytes probably produce a much higher proportion of pheomelanin than eumelanin. In other words, you tan perfectly fine you just can't see it - the pheomelanin breaks down in parallel with the healing of sunburns and you never realize that your melanocytes actually did produce something. You may produce in less quantity than most; but your melanocytes *do* produce melanins and can be *conditioned* to produce more if you expose yourself to the sun more.

Surprised? Well, here's the good news. You can build up a signficant amount of eumelanin (because we all produce *some* of it) by stimulating your melanocytes to produce eumelanin at very slow rates, which gives the pheomelanin enough time to break down and clear up. The way you do this is by prejudicially blocking UVB over UVA because UVB is what stimulates your melanocytes to produce both types of melanins. You don't want to produe a whole lot of it at once because you, the fair skinned type, will flood your skin with pheomelanin which will block UVA and prevent a tan. After several exposures in a high UVA/UVB ratio environment you will slowly notice a tan emerge.

How do you do this? Sunbathe with UVB blockers that do not block UVA. Suntan lotions that use octinoxate will do this, just make sure they have no other blocking agents in them. They're hard to find but they're out there (the Walgreen's brand SPF 2 works quite well). Glass also blocks UVB but allows UVA to pass; so you can tan behind glass. Do not spend so much time in each exposure that you burn or tan red as this will block the UVA; instead tan very slowly. Also, try to sunbathe in the lowest humidity environment possible (water diffracts UVA more strongly than UVB). For those who produce higher proportions of eumelanin all of this it not necessary and it is infinitely easier for them to tan. Their bodies produce a lot more eumelanin (which is brown) and which will oxidize to an even darker color from UVA exposure. Pheomelanin simply chemically breaks down upon exposure to UVA (that is how it protects you, by dissipating energy via chemical breakdown - eumelanin does it by oxidizing).
So, the best advice is to get you some Walgreen's SPF 2 (real cheap), a towel and a covenient place to sunbathe. Lay out, and hopefully you live in the American SW where humidity is low, and tan every day of the week right up to the point you begin to burn and you will have a nice sandy brown tan in a month.

Finally, unless you plan to spend thousands on a UVA lamp don't buy one. You definitely want them for their high UVA proportions but the problem is that the affordable ones produce no where near the power of natural sunlight; which is what you need. Only the most expensive ones come close to that.
Hope you get the results you're after.

Cheers.

ginger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Really great comments (except for the melanotan--seems a bit sketchy to me).

Have any of you redheads had luck dying your hair? I have blonde eyebrows/lashes so I think I'm pretty much stuck with red or blonde-which is just as bad probably.

I really agree with the working out and focusing on things besides hair (which really there is not much you can do about, if anything given the freakish nature of a dye job on a male red head (cannot wear makeup like Lyndsey Lohan to change skin color etc)--at least my impression of what it would look like. I think the opposites attract thing is true, as Latinas, Asians seem to be more into redhead guys than blondes--at least from my experience.

Onlyliveonce

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a fellow redhead and proud of it. Don't conform to any perceived social standards or anybody for that matter.

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fu.ck all this tanning sh!t

guys stop being sorry for being ginger,... dont make BS excuses for lack of sucess in life....
being proud of who you are and being proactive (strong personality and good game) will get you much more BETTER sucess, you will do fine ... do you want to be with women who like you for who you are or a "fake" version of you ....

options
- improve self-body image by going to the gym
- buzz cut the ginger hair
- maybe darken it a little to reduce the "orangeness"

i would say keep it "short" tho, i have an old friend who has a "big ginger boufont hairstyle" and well he looks like a faggot

do you think this guy is ashamed of being ginger?
http://www.dontpaniconline.com/media/additional/3510323646_107e165257_b.jpg

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depending on where you are in the world, get outside for 30-60 minutes a day.

Don't listen to the b.s. about skin cancer. Yes it does occur, but only if you're excessive.

If you want darker skin, get a tan. Just realize that you aren't going to have a massive effect, especially if you're pale.

15-45 minutes a day will do. Err towards the lower end of that to start, then gradually you can increase the amount of time you spend in the sun without burning.

A little sun won't hurt you.

Don Alfredo

Don Juan
Reaction score
The key is to eat well and scrub up. I am very pale, but I do have a glow to my skin. I bought a pair of exfoliating gloves a while back and purchased a few items from the Nivea range. With regular use, my skin does now shine without being tanned (far from it). It means nothing if you don't eat well though, which means eating more oily fish (mackerel, tuna, anchovies...) and instead of Coke or Pepsi, drink some fresh orange, apple or cranberry juice. I can also recommend vegetables such as onions and celery and try to make them a part of your diet. I have always been of the belief that if you can't pull it off well, then don't try. I am very pale yet I have not gone down the 'orange' road - girls DO notice it and, in my experience, reject it. Maximise your natural looks. Not every girl goes for the same things ;)

Red Man

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. I never said I hated being a ginger. Matter of fact I love having red hair. I just wanted a healthy glow nothing major but thank you to all.