Ethics (School during Work hours)

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a low-paying deskjob where I do Web-Design. The projects come few and far between. I get a project and I work on it for as long as I want, basically. Its almost like I'm my own supervisor. I can milk so much extra time at work, its not even funny.

Should I capitalize on this and do school-related work during work hours? I can't help but feel like I'm "cheating" or something and my grades won't be truly "earned."

Then again, its my life, my brain, and I'm putting the same work in regardless .. so what the hell? Why not further myself in life during work, instead of checking email and Facebook the way others do?

I could use some input here.

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
I'm past school long, and the answer is yes, but only if you can really quality study during your work. Ethical? She been caught on the street, dragged into an alleyway, and raped.

Tip: freelance web design? Perhaps while you work there?

Be careful of tracking software, screen capturing cameras, and security cameras.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forty0ztoFreedom said:
I have a low-paying deskjob where I do Web-Design. The projects come few and far between. I get a project and I work on it for as long as I want, basically. Its almost like I'm my own supervisor. I can milk so much extra time at work, its not even funny.

Should I capitalize on this and do school-related work during work hours? I can't help but feel like I'm "cheating" or something and my grades won't be truly "earned."

Then again, its my life, my brain, and I'm putting the same work in regardless .. so what the hell? Why not further myself in life during work, instead of checking email and Facebook the way others do?

Absolutely not.

The employer is paying you for your undivided attention and you will give it to him while you are at their place of business, regardless of how "bored" or how much "free time you have".

If you want to further your education which is a great thing, you have to do it on your own clock and your own dime.

Moreso, instead of spending your time on "facebook and myspace" like others do, if you want to get ahead, go to your employer and tell them that look, you want to be more productive and you have alot of free time on your hands, and that you wish for them to give you extra work to do so that you are not browsing social media forums all day long.

People wonder how you get ahead in life. It's not ****ing magic. You make yourself valuable to those around you. You do more work than you are paid for so that you will eventually get paid more for the work you do.

Play the tape out.. a year from now things are getting bad and some people are going to get laid off. Who do you think is going to get laid off.. I can tell you who is NOT going to get laid off, the guy who goes to them and wants to do m ore work. that person is a true asset tot he company. the guys who are doing as little work for as much money possible are expendable, and are a dime a dozen.

I have a 40 year old assistant who despite her lack of education, is so ****ing valuable to me, i held her job for 6 months, and it was a 1099 job at that until she was able to work again after being in a bad car wreck. I even paid some of her bills. that woman is worth her weight in gold to me. She will never have to worry about having a job. I dont have to tell her to do anything twice. Hell in fact most times I don't have to tell her to do things once. She knows her job, and does it as efficiently as possible. Hell most days by 2pm she's done. When I ask her to do extra work, she does it no questions asks and refuses to take my extra money. One time I just had to flat out deposit 500 dollars in her bank account without her knowing about it. She is so valuable to me because I don't have to think about that aspect of my business anymore it's on auto poilet, I can focus on other things. when she's not here, I have to focus on it, because no one else does the job anywhere near as good as she does. When my business grows, she will grow with it as well as her income. She is my right hand woman and will always be paid accordingly. and I found her on a damn craigslist ad just trying to get a few days work done for a few hundred bucks. She has turned that into basically a career by simply making herself valuable. I do just as much to keep her happy as she does to keep me happy. She's an equine artist (and a damn good one I might ad). Not only have I paid her a commission for a portiet of my fav horse ($1,200 bucks), I am out of my own pocket, paying for her to have a website built so she can sale her portraits online. Partly becuase she's really that damn good (i mean real good), but partly becuase It's in my best interest to keep her as happy as I possibly can. she knows she can ask me for anything and I will drop damn near anything I'm doing to get it done. But you know what, I know she will do the same for me. If I ask her to work on a saturday, no questions asked. done. I won't, unless it's really needed but still. If I ask her to work late, which I do from time to time, no questions asked, done. I tell her something and it's as good as done, and done right and a lot of work too.

This is a lesson I just learned, I dont 'know from where but it always made sense to me. My first job ever, was at mc donalds, I was 15 years old ,and I could work the grill, the back register, drive through and the register with efficiency. Because I was open minded and wanted to learn how to do everything, I could literary just come to work and they would find somewhere to put me. I never was short on hours. I was so valuable, that I got caught stealing money (the GM left the safe open lol, i had got them for a good 500-600 dollars over a month but i got caught one day with like 3 rolls of quarters in my pocket).. they didn't even bother to call the police. just said put it back and come back ot work next week. I worked there or another 8 months.

When I was 18 years old I was a tech at best buy, my first computer tech job. All the other techs snobbed their nose at the other departments because we got paid more, alot more actually in comparison.. I was making about 15 an hour and the other departments were making like 8 an hour... but after 6 months, I could work the computer section of the store I could work in customer service (which is not easy) as a service rep, I could work the cash registers at front which isn't a big deal but i actually didn't mind doing it, i could work the audio section and I could work the music/games section. I was getting hours in other parts of the store when they were short handed, and not only that, I was so valuable, i could walk around and talk on the company phone all day to girls (before cell phones). And I met more girls than anyone there, there was a time I didn't' have to leave work to find my next date. When I sold cars I was the ONLY sales guy that could work F and I. That allowed the F and I guy to take a day or 2 off a week and not have to push back deals or have to bring in another guy to do them. besides the fact that i was the best sales man there, you know how much leeway they gave me? I probably ****ed at least 5 clients, they knew I did coke and could care less, and when i came to work late (and in one case hung the **** over) they would turn the other way. when I had a beef about my commission it got fixed, and quickly. Because I knew how to work Reyolds ad reynolds I could work my own car deals, i could work other people's car deals. When I said I had something to do on saturday, I was allowed to not come to work on saturday. Most importantly however, had I stayed in that line of work, which I did not (I only took the job to learn how to sale, I knew I had to learn how to sale before I could do anything I really wanted to do in business), the F and I job was mine as soon as the F and I guy got fired or got a raise or transferred. I was 20 years old. Had I stayed there I would be running that dealership now

So, please stop with the ****ing attitude of trying to do as much work for as little possible. When you are work, make yourself as valuable as you can by doing as much work as possible. this is how you get ahead. Even if your career is not in that particular business or for that particular company, you need to get in the habit of doing more than you are paid to do. This is the best habit anyone can form.

Last edited:

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The employer is paying you for your undivided attention
Get serious!
He seems like he's doing his job, so why should he let his brain atrophy in his free time?
Plus, the projects are "few and far between", so it's not like he's holding back the company.

Forty0ztoFreedom, wasting time is the worst thing you could do.

If I were you, I would do my job quickly, improve my skills so I could find a better paying job easier, and then milk a decent amount of time before I declared the projects completed.
Meanwhile I'd be doing school work or something. ANYTHING BUT WASTE TIME!

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
The employer is paying you for your undivided attention and you will give it to him while you are at their place of business, regardless of how "bored" or how much "free time you have".
Translation: You are an asset for your employer at your present position. They need your cheap labor to make money.

backbreaker said:
If you want to further your education which is a great thing, you have to do it on your own clock and your own dime.
Translation: Go f*ck yourself.

Backbreaker appears to be an employer who relies on code monkeys to make money. In other words a dude with a different perspective.

One of the laws of power dictate that you not show your full potential. It is a direct conflict between an employer and an employee. For employer wants your full potential, just like a rider wants his horse to keep running with all its strength. But work position is not a sprint, it's a marathon, you must use your wit, and look for opportunity to get ahead.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To backbreaker:

Thanks for the input, but you have it a little wrong. My goal is the furthest thing from being 'secure' with a job at this company forever. It is a small company with absolutely zero growth in my field. The idea of my current boss considering me a valuable asset he will keep forever is both smothering and frightening, because it means I'll be poor the rest of my life.

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3 things, BB:

1. Doing a good work may result in your bosses appreciating you, but you could also become a workhorse. (a generic you)

2. Life is more than just work; you (a generic you) should keep some of your energy for... life.

3. There's a very nice saying: He who works too much has no time to make money. ;) (referring to the employee)

What you say may sound pretty to some, but in real life one should be witty and juggle everything intelligently.

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I make more money then everyone posted in this thread combined, i guarantee you. I've probably traveled (i.e playing) more in the last year than all of you have in your life time combined. In the last year I've been to London, Little Rock, lexington, louisville, new york, Atlantic city, houston, baton rouge, phoenix, hawaii (birthday gift from GF), vegas 2 times, and we are leaving again in a few weeks where we will be going back to louisville for the derby, then to baltimore for the Preakness and back to new york for the belmont. Then I'm getting married in London so we are going back there. All in less than 1 year. I work from home so I can take my "office" with me wherever I go. Now, full disclosure, I do fly free thanks to my family (my dad works for an airline, we fly standby)

I'm the guy that you know you can't compete with when I come into the picture and you get butthurt. You want to be that guy too. I could take years off if I felt like it and my standard of living right now would not drop whatsoever. I work hard but I play pretty damn hard as well. I don't work for ****s and giggles. I don't say that to brag, I say that to say, you might want to take heed to my advice. Not talking out of my ass right now.

It's not about being "legit" or not, could give 2 ****s what you think truth be told. But, there will not be anyone here that will say, that they don't know how to be successful in life. That's what I and others are here for. There are principles of life, that when followed, just dont' fail. We are here to not only grow in aspects of getting women, but to become men in all senses of the word. There is no situation where you do work and you are not paid in some form. It's just not possible. That's a concept that people, the avg person just doesn't grasp. You have to break that mindset. When you are at work, work your ass off, for the employer. don't short change him. The amount of work that you provide, will be in direct proportion to the amount of pay you receive, in some way shape or form.

I am curious though, BB . . would you be content in your assistant's position?
I am not content with where I am now so no I would not, however that would not stop me from busting my ass. The actual work is inconsequential to the principle of learning how to be of service to other people. My assistant is not content either, but that does not stop her from doing her job.

Last edited:

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've read your posts in the past and I know you're legit. Trust me your post didn't go ignored.

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I make more money then everyone posted in this thread combined, i guarantee you. I've probably traveled (i.e playing) more in the last year than all of you have in your life time combined. In the last year I've been to London, Little Rock, lexington, louisville, new york, Atlantic city, houston, baton rouge, phoenix, hawaii (birthday gift from GF), vegas 2 times, and we are leaving again in a few weeks where we will be going back to louisville for the derby, then to baltimore for the Preakness and back to new york for the belmont. Then I'm getting married in London so we are going back there. All in less than 1 year. I work from home so I can take my "office" with me wherever I go.

I'm the guy that you know you can't compete with when I come into the picture and you get butthurt. You want to be that guy too. I could take years off if I felt like it and my standard of living right now would not drop whatsoever. I work hard but I play pretty damn hard as well. I don't work for ****s and giggles. I don't say that to brag, I say that to say, you might want to take heed to my advice. Not talking out of my ass right now.
You are an entrepreneur. Your company is yours, you work hard for your own company, your company makes you a lot of money.

Forty0ztoFreedom is an employee at a dead end company; that won't make him rich.

Your logic stands when you run your own business or when you build a career in the right place.

I like to do a better job than the average guy, too, but I'm not spending all my energy for another guy's business.

The amount of work that you provide, will be in direct proportion to the amount of pay you receive, in some way shape or form.
In a perfect world, yeah. Counterexamples are many and obvious. (*)

You may have a successful business, but rest assured that you are not right in every regard.

Edit(*): Since you may not believe me, here are some real examples:
1. My sister's bf (call him X) is more charismatic than a colleague of his who is much more prepared and works harder than him. The clients like him more and that's why his bosses wanted to release his colleague and give X some extra work. X opposed since his colleague is/was his teacher, basically.

2. A colleague of mine worked at a company where he spent 10hrs/day on average. His current job is like vacation now and I highly doubt he has a lower salary.

3. My best friend works all day long, does overtime, all for little money. Meanwhile, a guy from my college has a much better salary for some trivial sh!t.

The world is not fair. :(

Kenny Powers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Backbreaker made some good points about doing work your not paid to do so they eventually start paying you for it and making yourself a valuable asset, but at the same time you have to look at the big picture.

How much opportunity do you have to advance in your current job and is this a job you want to have for the rest of your life. I currently work as an intern for a big company doing data entry - i'm not getting paid and have no desire to work for them in the future, just doing it for a resume boost. So, I spend about a fourth of my time browsing the internet, playing games and texting. Even if i was getting paid I would do this. Is it immoral? Hell yes. But i don't believe in God and if he does exist I don't think he'd give a shiit.

I'm a good person but I have no problem cheating the system when the opportunity presents itself. There is nothing more satisfying than doing less work than others and getting as good or better results.

Look at the a$$holes on wall street. They sold toxic assets and lied their value to buyers, which played a major role in causing the recession. They made billions of dollars and haven't had to pay a penny in fines or do any jail time. Of all the bankers involved in the recession only Bernie Madoff, who did a simple Ponzi scheme was actually punished, everyone else got off scott free and billions of dollars richer. Is that fair or right? No, but that's life.

Take advantage of the system when you can.

Drdeee

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I make more money then everyone posted in this thread combined

You hire code monkeys that work for you and bring you cash. You're in completely different spectrum of life and perspective.

YA!!! Work hard when you have your own business. In your best interests, you'll make more money.

But if you work for someone, take it easy, don't work too hard. You'll just get tired or worst loose respect of those around you. Like the saying goes, no good did goes unpunished.

P.S. I'd also would say that delivering results is important and has its place -- but what really gets you forward and promoted and loved is correct game, looks, and proper swagger.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forty0ztoFreedom said:

What do you want to be one day? The head of your own company I'm guessing? If you had an employee who wanted to use the time you are paying him to do his school studying, what would you think? Obviously the principle is that when you pay him, he should be working for you obviously and that principles applies when you're on the other end of the spectrum.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I make more money then everyone posted in this thread combined, i guarantee you. I've probably traveled (i.e playing) more in the last year than all of you have in your life time combined. In the last year I've been to London, Little Rock, lexington, louisville, new york, Atlantic city, houston, baton rouge, phoenix, hawaii (birthday gift from GF), vegas 2 times, and we are leaving again in a few weeks where we will be going back to louisville for the derby, then to baltimore for the Preakness and back to new york for the belmont. Then I'm getting married in London so we are going back there. All in less than 1 year. I work from home so I can take my "office" with me wherever I go. Now, full disclosure, I do fly free thanks to my family (my dad works for an airline, we fly standby)

It's not about being "legit" or not, could give 2 ****s what you think truth be told. But, there will not be anyone here that will say, that they don't know how to be successful in life. That's what I and others are here for. There are principles of life, that when followed, just dont' fail. We are here to not only grow in aspects of getting women, but to become men in all senses of the word. There is no situation where you do work and you are not paid in some form. It's just not possible. That's a concept that people, the avg person just doesn't grasp. You have to break that mindset. When you are at work, work your ass off, for the employer. don't short change him. The amount of work that you provide, will be in direct proportion to the amount of pay you receive, in some way shape or form.

I am not content with where I am now so no I would not, however that would not stop me from busting my ass. The actual work is inconsequential to the principle of learning how to be of service to other people. My assistant is not content either, but that does not stop her from doing her job.
What do you do? I am very intrested in obtaining some knowledge from you

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrettyBoyAJ said:
What do you do? I am very intrested in obtaining some knowledge from you
web and application development among other things which I am not privy to disclose on a public forum. Nothing illegal but some stuff i have under wraps for a reason.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Backbreaker, I totally respect your posts and generally agree with you in principle. But just to play devil's advocate (and remove any remaining doubts in my mind), what is to stop an employer from taking advantage of an employee that busts their a$s? I think a lot employees are afraid of working themselves into the ground and having very little growth in income to show for it.

Are you saying it's because of #1 or #2 or some other reason?

1. It's not possible for a truly valuable employee to not rise up.

Or

2. Even if you had a stingy employer, their competition would want to hire you and offer you more money.

I'm not trying to put ideas/words in your mouth, I'm just genuinely curious about this one. Thanks.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
Backbreaker, I totally respect your posts and generally agree with you in principle. But just to play devil's advocate (and remove any remaining doubts in my mind), what is to stop an employer from taking advantage of an employee that busts their a$s? I think a lot employees are afraid of working themselves into the ground and having very little growth in income to show for it.

Are you saying it's because of #1 or #2 or some other reason?

Or

2. Even if you had a stingy employer, their competition would want to hire you and offer you more money.

I'm not trying to put ideas/words in your mouth, I'm just genuinely curious about this one. Thanks.
it's a very valid question.

What you have to understand is that, there is NO way you are not going to be paid in some way shape or form. Sometimes it's not in money as cliche as that sounds.

As I have stated, I never will be rollo or some others when it comes to my penmenship, thats' not my gift. I relate through stories and I have one that can best convey what I mean.

When I was 20 years old, as stated I sold cars and I was damn good at it. I worked for Crain Mazda in little rock. You have to understand the dynamnics of the auto industry.. Mazda's don't really sale themselves, it's really a "starter job" if that makes sense, they will take anyone and see who sticks. We were on a row of car dealerships that had a nissan, honda and toyota dealership, the guy at nissan who ran it told me flat out i could have a job there, selling cars that do sale themselves. If you can sale 20 cars at mazda you can sale 35 at nissan and that's not exaggeration.

At the time I was running my business with my business partner, but one of us had to take a job, to put food on the table until we knew that our business could support us. Also we met with banks and venture capital people and even flew out of town to try to raise money, and that required having money and a half ass decent wardrobe which I did not have at the time. But, about this time... business was picking up. We hadn't "arrived yet" but in the back of my mind I knew i could quit anytime and not starve though it would have served in the companies best interest if I could stick it out for another 3 or so months, we wanted to save up for a marketing campaign and or more inventory.

Well this particular month I sold i think it was 17 cars, which is enough to get 3 bonsus, a 10 car bonus which retroactivly takes your percentage from all cars sold from 25% to 30% (so for instance, if the company made 2400 dollars on a car deal that I sold, i would get paid $720 instead of $600.) Then you get a $200 dollar bonus for saling 13 cars and another $500 for saling 17 cars. Anyway I get my comission check, and they are trying to tale me I did not earn any one bonus.. lol, with the freaking bonus structure sitting smack dab on the GM's window. Not only that i wasn't new, i ahd earned bonsses before. I knew almost to the penny how much I was supposed to make and i was like 1200 short. yes, freaking 1200.

And you want to talk about working to the bone, everyday, 6 days a week, 8:30am, to 8pm on saturdays i would work later than 8pm on a car deal I was closing and a few additional days in there. I worked F and I for 3 days that month, didn't even ask for anything I just did it becuase I liked the F and I guy alot and he really needed some days off. I had been living off a min wage draw check and I needed my money. and it's not like I would come home, plop up my feet and watch TV, no i had more work to do with my other company. I would go to bed around 2am every morning. I got NO sleep, no rest. You want to talk about someone pissed off.

So I confronted them.. no mas. IN hindsight I know what was happening. they were cash strapped and were trying to take advantage of the sales people. I wasn't the only one that got shorted. The GM pulled me aside and told me he would get it taken care of.l This went on for a week. Crain owns 12 dealerships or something like that, he wasn't the man writing the check. I kept asking, he kept calling i know he was calling i saw him, they were putting him off on everyone else, then I get on the phone with the HR woman finally and she tells me no it's right deal with it.

At that point I got my **** and just walked out and went home and went to sleep lol. I was done. to this day, never saw a dime of that 1200 dollars. I even filed a complaint with the attorney general.

But you know what. while i didn't get any money, I was paid. I assured myself, promised myself that when I did get to the point that I ever had employees, I would never treat them the way I was just treated by that company. You take care of your talent and your talent will bend over to work for you. AS long as they paid me what I was worth and on time, they had NO problem out of me, i would do anything they asked. Hey BB go work car wars, no problem. Hey BB go work at this other dealership to cover no problem. hey I know it's you day off but can you come in and close this client, this new guy has no idea what he's doing and the client knows you. no problem let me get dressed. But when you don't value your employees, they wont' value their jobs or you. I dont' ever argue over money, ever, even when I know I am overpaying. If I like the programmer he will get paid what he feels he is worth. Same when I had my computer company. I pay on time and I usually pay bonuses for doing great work. And you know what, if I hire a freelancer to cover some of our slack, and he is working on 2 jobs, guess which one is going to get done first. when I hire my grahpic guy who charges, a grand a pop for a design, if I submit him a request for a design today it will be usually in my inbox by the time I wake up the next morning. Clients **** bricks when they see that type of efficiency and I have no qualms or problems trying to collect money. But you know what, i don't even wait until I see the work until I pay him, i know he's going to do what he needs to do, the dude is unreal (albeit high). IN other words, the importance of taking care of your talent, even when it costs you to do so, was well, well worth that 1200 dollars which i was going ot use to buy some clothes probably and some video games becuase I had no form of entertainment at the time.

Nope. It might not be on your time table, it might not even be with that company but the cream will always rise to the top.

Here is a follow up to that story. The next day after I quit, i ended up not taking this job but literary next door, was the largest nissan dealership in the region. I walked in, the guy, Chris Brown I think his name was, said what can I do for you. I walked in, had all my deal sheets printed and just threw them on his desk. he looked at them, looked at me, said you got a reference, i told him to call next door, the F and I guy told him i was the best guy there, he told me to go take a piss test and fill out the employee stuff i was hired. took 5 minutes. That dealership, not a person there was under the age of 30, maybe one guy. that's the dealership you KNOW you are going to be making 60-80-100k there a year easily, they cherry pick their sales people and I walked right in and got a job, that I didn't even want or take, at the age of 20.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Backbreaker, This is off subject but could you pm me how you started bro? I'm just a young guy tryna do something with his life while in college ya know?