Electric bycycles, would you buy one?

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.sbebc.com

I came upon this site and I was wondering your thoughts about electronic bicycles. The price for the channel cruisers is $499, go at 15mph and on a single charge (4-6 hours) get up to 15 miles distance. They don't pollute and seem fun to ride. Shipping is around 60 bucks. Another good thing about them is that they don't require a special liscence.

I like the riptide it looks more manly and like a motor bike, it costs $620.

Reaction score
Have you actually picked up one of these things?

Do you know how heavy they are?

These blasted things are HEAVY ASS. They have nickel cadmium batteries (aka SOLID METAL). Not only that but because these batteries and the motor weighs so much they are MADE OF STEEL.

PumpNightmare

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not really. I paid $400+ for my bicycle that needs manual power. For something less then $600, one has to question the durability of those things. They look like they would break if you took them off road anywhere.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the benefit of having an electric bike? Those things are heavy and slow. Get a real bike, they're faster and you can get healthier riding one.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PumpNightmare said:
Not really. I paid $400+ for my bicycle that needs manual power. For something less then $600, one has to question the durability of those things. They look like they would break if you took them off road anywhere.
the expensive models are for offroad (those cost more than 1k). The battery lasts 3 years from what I read. These electric bicyles are good if you have a short commute to work, or if you just want to get some air and have a nice bike ride or go on the weekend by the beach. If you live in a small town they would be good to have you could go to work with them. If you live in l.a or Chicago and other big cities where youre job is far away they might not be as good to take to work (unless you buy the more expensive city commute 'mesa' style)

if you're a college student I think this is a fun thing to have.
Francisco d'Anconia said:
What's the benefit of having an electric bike? Those things are heavy and slow. Get a real bike, they're faster and you can get healthier riding one.
they have 3 riding options (the regular bikes). Exercise mode/power pedal assist mode/cruise mode. You can still pedal but if you get tired you can switch the mode so it goes by itself.

Reaction score
Answer me this: What happens when you forget to recharge it and you run out of juice?

You're pedalling a 100lb steel monster back home.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe The Homophobe said:
they have 3 riding options (the regular bikes). Exercise mode/power pedal assist mode/cruise mode. You can still pedal but if you get tired you can switch the mode so it goes by itself.
Sounds complicated. Wouldn't walking be easier?

Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Sounds complicated. Wouldn't walking be easier?
Or rollerblades?

Or a regular bike? You just hop on and away you go!

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats the point of having a bicycle, if you're not going to pedal it? Why not just buy a motorcycle. Lasts a lot longer than a couple hours. More fun, too.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Whats the point of having a bicycle, if you're not going to pedal it? Why not just buy a motorcycle. Lasts a lot longer than a couple hours. More fun, too.
You can't get a motorcycle for 500 bucks.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like to describe things with this adjective, but I must say, those look really gay.

I just don't think it's cool for guys to ride scooters/electric bikes/mopeds/etc.

GET A MOTORCYCLE INSTEAD.

Bought my first on Saturday. Nice little Honda nighthawk...few years old, nice all black and chrome bike.

Chicks think it's sexy as hell, and there's just nothing like cruising up to their house for a date, and carrying an extra helmet for them to hop on.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a normal bike, this may be a slightly bad example seeing as it cost $2500, but fact is, i can go faster thne 15mph and a lot longer then 15 miles, so if you are going to go on a bike, why not get the excersize in aswell, all you will get out of that thing you want is people laughing at you! As far as not polluting, dont you have to recharge the battery? Unless your have solar panals all over your roof, your still polluting!

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a motorcycle or a bicycle (i have a NORMAL beach cruiser). You're going to look like a tool on one of these things.

I miss my gas powered skate board though. That thing was friggin cool!

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PRMoon said:
I miss my gas powered skate board though. That thing was friggin cool!
Always wanted to try and figure out how to attach a small motor to my sector longboard. Awesome for downhill riding, ***** getting back up!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a horse instead. Once you learn to take care of these babies, they've got more horsepower than any wussy electric bike or scooter.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
check_mate_kid_uk said:
I have a normal bike, this may be a slightly bad example seeing as it cost $2500, but fact is, i can go faster thne 15mph and a lot longer then 15 miles
I don't own one but im pretty sure that the electric bicycles can be used by pedaling or by electrict mode if you get tired. The electric mode then goes at 15mph like it says.
WORKEROUTER said:
http://www.sbebc.com/pages/Riviera.html

Are you serious? This is so ridiculously stupid looking...I'd almost be tempted to knock someone off who was riding it around!
This is the one I like, it costs $620
http://www.sbebc.com/pages/Riptide.html

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that's for lazy people....if your gona do it do it right.....at least you'll get some excercise allong with it.