Does lifting lower your eventual hight?

MuayThai

Banned
Reaction score
Does lifting heavy weights and bulking up shorten your eventual hight?

I know increased testostorone makes your bones slow down and eventually stop growing, and when they're converdted into estrogen by your body does that fuse your bones?

Only scientific reseach please.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 6'1", lifting never stunted MY growth ..

You'll find as much research that says it does, as says it doesn't.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The_Shezzler
(Hi-Jacking Tread!)

Why is Warboss Alex not a Mod on this forum? He seems to single-handedly offer advice to anyone posing a question.

Keep up the great work

(Thread given back - sorry)

Sarge On...
Look, just 'cause I have no life outside this forum doesn't mean I should moderate it ..

Hell, I'm not qualified for this. I'm a Charlie and trying to get past my 40kg floor deadlift plateau .. :rolleyes:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Hell, I'm not qualified for this. I'm a Charlie and trying to get past my 40kg floor deadlift plateau .. :rolleyes:
*pats on the back*

no worries, that lower back will grow sometime ;)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
*pats on the back*

no worries, that lower back will grow sometime ;)
I'm gonna go all out and put my faith in increasing protein intake to 150g per day and do one-armed cable rows until I drop ..

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am the only lifter among my brothers and actually i'm just 5'9, while my (younger) brothers are 6'1 and 6'2.
but i don't really know if this is due to weightlifting, since my father is 5'9 too and there's a lot of difference between my uncles' heights too...

mroriginal

Banned
Reaction score
Testosterone does not affect growth.Estrogen is what cause the bones to fuse so that you wont grow anymore.It is proven that it is estrogen what causes bones to fuse.

NewDude001

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think what he's trying to ask is........because lifting increases testosterone........and testosterone gets converted to estrogen.......then increased testosterone = increased estrogen = early bone plate fusion. I don’t know the specifics of the process so I can’t answer that question.

mroriginal

Banned
Reaction score
well then yes lifting will affect growth since increase testosterone might be converted to estrogen.so if you dont want your bones to fuse early.I suggest you play it safe and weight lift after your done growing.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mroriginal
Testosterone does not affect growth.Estrogen is what cause the bones to fuse so that you wont grow anymore.It is proven that it is estrogen what causes bones to fuse.

Originally posted by mroriginal
well then yes lifting will affect growth since increase testosterone might be converted to estrogen.so if you dont want your bones to fuse early.I suggest you play it safe and weight lift after your done growing.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NewDude001

Don Juan
Reaction score
Makes sense, I would say stay away from compound movements such as bench and squats as I would assume they release a LOT more testosterone than freeweights would.

I would say play it safe and use freeweights to build up your arms and don't lift to your breaking point where your body would be releasing the most amount of hormones. Take lighter weights and go for higher reps.

Hmm, on a side note. Found this website, dunno how credible it is. http://www.geocities.com/northstarzone/EXERCISE.html

Says that weightlifting boots both HGH levels and testosterone levels. This would mean that your bones would lengthen due to the HGH and ossify due to the testosterone/estrogen levels. This means that weightlifting would help you grow, but for a much shorter period of time (essentially speeding up time) that said....I don't know if your final height would be lower than it would have been without the weight-training.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started lifting at 14-15 (I was 5'8" then or thereabouts). Now I'm in excess of six foot.

Draw your own conclusions.

mroriginal

Banned
Reaction score
Any questions feel free to pm me.Right now im trying to find a solution to height increase and the only thing that would seem to slow down or maybe even completly stop bone fusion are estrogen blockers.Any endocrinologist will tell you the same thing.estrogen is what makes you stop growing.testosterone will not affect your growth.you stop the estrogen levels from rising and keep it at a low youll probably have more time to grow unless your bones are already fused.

NewDude001

Don Juan
Reaction score
:) Yeah, like I was saying, weightlifting will probably NOT significantly affect your growth. I might even go so far as to say it might help you grow, if.....the HGH levels you release exceed the estrogen produced. I'm not saying it does help or stunts growth, I'm just saying it is probably best to stay away from weights till you are done growing if you don't want to chance it.

NewDude001

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, weightlifting STOPING growth is just a retarded idea. Those in the medical community seem to think it doesn't stunt growth. It probably doesn't, noticably anyways, you MIGHT not grow to your full potential though (maybe 1-2 inches lower), but this is again just more theory.

Take your chances, but I'm going to swim for fitness instead till I know more information.

TITANIUM_HeaRT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by NewDude001
Well, weightlifting STOPING growth is just a retarded idea. Those in the medical community seem to think it doesn't stunt growth. It probably doesn't, noticably anyways, you MIGHT not grow to your full potential though (maybe 1-2 inches lower), but this is again just more theory.

Take your chances, but I'm going to swim for fitness instead till I know more information.
yes, you have nothing stopping you from going to the gym at 14, or younger, if you feel so inclined, BUUUUUT why not wait till at least 21, when you can start with a 95 lbs bench and work your way up from there.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Weightlifting stunts your growth" is an long serving myth in the fitness industry. Weight lifting done with proper form under proper supervision will not stunt growth. Medical research has proven this. Anyone who argues otherwise is ill-informed. I wrote a more detailed post on it a few months ago.