Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dexter the friendly serial killer?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the show Dexter. There's just nothing like it on TV. But I've been wondering can a person like Dexter really exist? From what I know about serial killers from class and general reading, they tend to be mostly disconnected from the world. Sociopaths. "That guy's a creeper" kind of character.

Have there been cases of killers who have been social people?

I know there's been cases of black widows, hit men, and etc. but these people kill for a reason usually for money.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was watching some dexter earlier today.

Psychopaths are often very social and intelligent. They have to be in order to manipulate and lie to others. But being a psychopath does not mean they are a serial killer(obviously).

BTK had a family and a very social but quiet life.

You could find the answer to your question with a little research on the web.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is the best show on TV right now. I don't really like how connected he seems and more normal now that he has a kid. I liked when they would focus a bit on how disconnected he was

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was watching some dexter earlier today.

Psychopaths are often very social and intelligent. They have to be in order to manipulate and lie to others. But being a psychopath does not mean they are a serial killer(obviously).
No, they're not. It's a show and it has a script. TV show is not reality.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The socialized psychopath is likely to be too smart to end up in jail.

The socialized psychopath can appear extremely charming. You have to know them really well and have a fair amount of insight yourself to spot that they always and only ever do what suits them. As long as they are getting their own way, they can be as charming as you could wish, and the most delightful company. But they will lie at the drop of a hat, without the slightest twinge of anxiety or guilt (so the old 'lie detector' polygraph test wouldn't be likely to catch them out). They will use other people for their own ends without the smallest concern - treating them as no more than chess pieces in their 'game'. They have no sense of guilt or remorse and will always be able to come up with plausible rationalizations for their behavior which allow them to lay the blame for any subsequent disaster on other people. And, of course, once chess pieces have served their purpose, there is no reason why they should not be discarded.

Is it surprising that politics and show business are thought to have more than their fair share of socialized psychopaths?
I grew up with a psychopath. So I know a thing or two about them

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Psycho Sexy said:
I grew up with a psychopath. So I know a thing or two about them
Story telling time:D ?

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
Story telling time:D ?
We have parted ways but we were best friends through elementary and high school.
Its hard to explain the emotional control he has over people. Its just something you cant understand unless it happens to you. He has the power to make you feel good or bad.

He was always the leader of the group, a huge bully, egotistical and narcissistic, took advantage of friends and family by manipulating their feelings, constantly lied to trick others, very promiscuous with many girls, had to always be in control of the situation, always had to be his way, had huge mood swings, very social and had a sick sense of humor. Making others feel bad made him happy. He would always justify his actions to me and explain why it shouldnt be his fault when things went wrong.

I still have a vivid memory of us hanging out at his house bored so he starts calling his 10 year old brother gay and stupid and other names until the poor kid started crying. It was sick seeing a genuine smile on his face as he watched his brother cry.

He did all that without friends and family even realize what was going on.

The only reason I realized he was a psychopath was because my senor year of high school I came across an article in a psychology textbook that described him perfectly. I confronted him about it one day after an argument and he broke down and cried. He completely agreed with me but doesnt know how to stop manipulating and using others.

I started ignoring his calls and texts shortly after that. I "no contacted" him, lol. He is a cancer.

On the plus side, I spend my high school years subconsciously and consciously learning from him because many of his traits are attractive and useful in the social world. The only difference between me and him is he doesnt have a choice to be a manipulator and I do.

If it wasnt for 4 years of sosuave I would have never had the courage to stand up to him. Id probably still be "friends" with him.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good story, but there is a world of difference between a "social" sociopath like you mention and a sociopath who likes to kill in his (or her) spare time.

Isn't there??

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Good story, but there is a world of difference between a "social" sociopath like you mention and a sociopath who likes to kill in his (or her) spare time.

Isn't there??
I completely agree. This guy was NEVER physically violent.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I doubt any real killers were trained from an early age how to pretend to fit in with society, and to follow an ethics code, and perform a service to the community while fulfilling their bloodlust.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
horaholic said:
I doubt any real killers were trained from an early age how to pretend to fit in with society, and to follow an ethics code, and perform a service to the community while fulfilling their bloodlust.
Not to that extent, there is alot of creative writing in there. But can you have a social serial killer?

Someone who has friends and family (doesn't look like a creeper) and just decides to kill people in his spare time for whatever motivation/need.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most all sociopaths never kill anyone. There's nothing in the diagnosis that says they get anything out of it. They just don't mind crushing people in their way up the corporate ladder or whatever they choose to do. I wouldn't doubt that some members of Congress are sociopaths.

Chosen1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love this show, I do think that serial killers can exist like Dexter. How many of them have his adventures without being caught is a mystery. Good show though