Creatine & Hair loss

mikedee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've read that creatine increases DHT which is a cause of hair loss. What do you think?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I believe there was a already a thread on this. It's been pretty much scientifically shown that it's bunk.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anything over 3g a day tends to hold in water without much added benefit. More isn't necessarily better like with a lot of things gym/workout related.
tbh I never really saw a benefit from using creatine, and I've tried when natty and not. Did you ever see anything from it?

Loading phase of creatine (if I recall correctly) is 5g/day for 30 days, then 3g/day from then onwards.

I'm also quite sure that creatine has little to nothing to do with the body's conversion of Testosterone to DHT.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Creatine is BS and a good way to dehydrate yourself and get some painful kidney stones. Carnivore diet is better for you.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you eating lots of cheese or red meat? I personally dont even need to supplement creatine, I already meet the necessary amount through my diet. So you are probably not responding to it, because you already get enough from the diet
Lots is real subjective but I'd say "no". My protein intake has always been high... >200g/day for years, but usually from chicken, sometimes beef.
Probably mutes the effects of creatine, but that's just me and my bro science.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
tbh I never really saw a benefit from using creatine, and I've tried when natty and not. Did you ever see anything from it?

Loading phase of creatine (if I recall correctly) is 5g/day for 30 days, then 3g/day from then onwards.

I'm also quite sure that creatine has little to nothing to do with the body's conversion of Testosterone to DHT.
You may be one of the non-responders. There are about 20% of people where it doesn't seem to have any effect.

It works for me, it helps with pushing extra weight and getting extra reps in. Nothing massive but maybe like a 10% increase in weight and 2-3 extra reps.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Creatine is BS and a good way to dehydrate yourself and get some painful kidney stones. Carnivore diet is better for you.
It most assuredly is not. It's been one of the most studied, researched and pretty much universally acknowledged supplements that actually works.

Probably thousands of studies done on it at this point.

If you are dehydrating yourself you have a serious issue with water intake to begin with, so that would be my starting place for that issue.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
No he has a point. People who already have bad kidney function aren’t allowed to take creatine and also need to pursue a low creatine diet. If you already get enough creatine through your diet and additionally supplement it, then you are unnecessarily overworking your kidneys and the body trying to get rid of the excess creatine
See now this is the silliness that happens with these tests.

Creatinine is what is produced when creatine gets broken down. This CAN happen from poor kidney function, muscle breakdown, etc but you also will have high levels from taking creatine.

Why? Because some of that gets broken down and not absorbes by the body so it shows up as creatinine.

However, that has nothing to do with kidney function. The only reason someone with poor kidney function couldn't take creatine is because it could skew the test results and could make it harder to get accurate numbers for his plan of treatment. It will not actually cause kidney damage.

They say it "may cause kidney damage in people with kidney dysfunction" but they base it on creatinine test results which will obviously be higher in those people which makes no sense since the higher number with creatinine is not being caused by kidney dysfunction in that case but by creatine being broken down.

So I guess this could cause an issue since they won't actually know what the real test results are.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score

You are correct on the conversion. It was one 2009 study with 20 rugby players. The creatine group had lower than normal DHT to start,, and higher but normal after the study. None of the young athletes lost hair either, they just noted higher DHT is known to cause hair loss. There were many other variables besides creatine in the study but they singled out creatine. Creatine is the most studied supplement to date and no study since 2009 has duplicated the study. Common sense says it doesn't because if it did, than herring, beef and, salmon would also cause hair loss as they are rich in creatine.

Most loading phases were a week, maybe two weeks long but the benefits of loading have shown to not be too beneficial. Up to 15% of people taking creatine get no benefit from it. Not sure why that is.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is exactly the opposite of what happens.

I dont think there is any evidence to support this claim, unless you know something I don't.
Creatine can drain your body of water. So, if you are not drinking double or triple the amount of water you normally drink, you will become dehydrated. Animal protein is far superior than creatine.

It most assuredly is not. It's been one of the most studied, researched and pretty much universally acknowledged supplements that actually works.

Probably thousands of studies done on it at this point.

If you are dehydrating yourself you have a serious issue with water intake to begin with, so that would be my starting place for that issue.
What do I know, I'm just a PA. Do as you wish.

Yikes. I’ve never tried creatine. People swear by it though.

My goodness, no.
You'd be surprised. Humans have lived off of carnivore/keto diets for thousands of years.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
What do I know, I'm just a PA. Do as you wish.
That's the whole point. It's not a prescription drug. You don't know anything more than a random person or anyone else who has done some research on it and I will guarantee that's probably far less than what I've done.

This concept most people have that doctors are nutrition experts, diet experts, natural medicine experts, etc etc etc as nauseum is ridiculous. They don't spend jack sh!t of their time of any of that in their studies. Why? Because the AMA sets that.

They wouldn't ask a plumber to go fix their car but somehow they think doctors are this one stop shop for everything under the sun.

Now prescription drugs on the other hand...

Go hang out with your big pharma buddies buying you trips and lunches and tickets to sporting events and Broadway shows and leave these discussions for people that actually know WTF they are talking about.

Last edited:

RickTheToad

Reaction score
That's the whole point. It's not a prescription drug. You don't know anything more than a random person or anyone else who has done some research on it and I will guarantee that's probably far less than what I've done.

This concept most people have that doctors are nutrition experts, diet experts, natural medicine experts, etc etc etc as nauseum is ridiculous. They don't spend jack sh!t of their time of any of that in their studies. Why? Because the AMA sets that.

They wouldn't ask a plumber to go fix their car but somehow they think doctors are this one stop ship for everything under the sun.

Now prescription drugs on the other hand...

Go hang out with your big pharma buddies buying you trips and lunches and tickets to sporting events and Broadway shows and leave these discussions for people that actually know WTF they are talking about.
I work in the ER, so relax. I know more than many. Don't get your panty's all up in a bunch; and I don't hang out with pharma bros ask you call it.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Doesn’t make it good learn term. We used to be dead before today’s modern life expectancy.

Extreme diets are no good. Carnivore / keto are especially bad.
I would agree to a point. However, a 80/20 or 70/30 keto diet can be fine long term in my personal opinion. I've been on it since 2016; no issues.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you are not drinking double or triple the amount of water you normally drink, you will become dehydrated.
Interesting you say this, because I can find absolutely 0 evidence to support this, and I have not experienced this personally.

What do I know, I'm just a PA.
See, if you had evidence that supported your claims, you could then also rely on credibility from authority. But since you have no evidence and still decided to use the authority position, it now makes me question both your credentials and position.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I would agree to a point. However, a 80/20 or 70/30 keto diet can be fine long term in my personal opinion. I've been on it since 2016; no issues.
The fact you are more worried about your health taking creatine versus following a long term keto diet is mind boggling.