Consumer Reports: Warns Against Whey Protein

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/overview/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ood/protein-drinks/how-much-protein/index.htm

An opinion about consumer reports article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyeAI3EivJk

Im not so sure I have an opinion about this. I've been drinking whey for years and I've always felt great. Im thinking of switching to egg protein or the organic whey, not because of the article but just looking for foods that are alot more easily digestible.

I've already eliminated milk (once again) from my diet and Im benefitting from the results. Now im gonna experiment with different protein supplement products to see what digests best.

Neon Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like a load of BS to me. Like that guy said, there's traces of nasty chemicals/heavy metals in most things we eat every day. What are you gonna do, stop eating all food?

Show me a bodybuilder who's died or gotten ill from arsenic/lead/mercury poisoning and I might take this on board. Until then, I'm gonna keep chugging my protein powder. Iz niiiiiice!

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Neon Owl said:
Sounds like a load of BS to me. Like that guy said, there's traces of nasty chemicals/heavy metals in most things we eat every day. What are you gonna do, stop eating all food?

Show me a bodybuilder who's died or gotten ill from arsenic/lead/mercury poisoning and I might take this on board. Until then, I'm gonna keep chugging my protein powder. Iz niiiiiice!
Yeah agree 100%....Loads of **** I tell you. LOL @ the protein recommendations, only being able to digest 8 grams of protein every hour? WTF?!

Science has barely scratched the surface on human physiology ....Some of these "experts" can't just swallow some pride and just say "We honestly don't know" cause they're so full of themselves.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
Science has barely scratched the surface on human physiology ....Some of these "experts" can't just swallow some pride and just say "We honestly don't know" cause they're so full of themselves.
I don't even listen to the so called "experts" because they don't know what the hell they are talking about. The same "experts" once said that cigarettes were great for you.

TheBucketOfTruth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd love to know which protein powders they tested and found those things in. I don't care what anyone says, consuming any of that stuff they mentioned is unacceptable for me. I've been using Isopure protein after workouts and liked it quite a lot better than most of the overly sweet stuff like Muscle Milk.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont really believe what the hell they are talking about, they have one article with some BSN stooge that was "Interviewed," But it seemed that they just copy-pasted a response....

Also bucket....It's been said that "Myoplex," From EAS has I think a high concetration of either lead or mercury I cant remember correctly.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If we followed all the advice these researchers and scientists dished out, we'd end up looking as bad as they do.

They have a different scare and a different cure for all the ailments in the world every week. Personally I think they have too much time on their hands and a big budget they need to justify.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've changed my views on whey protein a lot over the years. I'd say just scrap it all together and if you MUST have it then just drink it post workout. Other than that get your protein from animal sources. The majority of the goals you guys have can be reached without any powders or supplements.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've considered all the reports. I only buy the organic New Zealand Whey protein from the product called "Progressive". Cows in New Zealand are up to the best industry standard, no pestisides or junk that you get in North America. It's more expensive, but it's worth it to pay the extra cost or forget about the whole thing since the alternative is damaging.

Also, whey protein acidifies your body which leeches the calcium from the bones and thinks your bones out. Need to take calcium and alkaline suppliments to restore the body's ph balance and ensure calcium is not taken from the bones. I know I do that.

Next, drink plenty of water to wash out the nitrates that come from the protein that could damage your liver and kidneys. I focus on doing just that too...need water anyway as muscle-weight is primarily based on water. Water-muscle weight goes if you are dehydrated.

I buy New Zealand Whey Protein Isolate from Progressive and will take my chances for now.

Reaction score
SMH. There's something new out everyday isn't it?

1.) You should consume a good amount of fruits. NO wait, you shouldn't drink apple juice.

2.) You should consume a good amount of veggies. NO wait, you shouldn't eat corn.

3.) You should consume a good amount of healthy carbs. NO wait, you shouldn't eat whole wheat bread.

4.) You should consume a good amount of protein. NO wait, you shouldn't drink protein shakes.

LOL. The insanity of the health and fitness market. There's more ab belts out every week, there's more diets out every week, new exercise programs, but still a LARGE portion of our population is overweight.

Bottom line, stop with the over analysis and just stick to the basics. Workout, control your eating, eat majority of nutritious foods, space out your meals, drink water, and take natural vitamins/supplements.

End of story.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Message Boy said:
SMH. There's something new out everyday isn't it?

1.) You should consume a good amount of fruits. NO wait, you shouldn't drink apple juice.

2.) You should consume a good amount of veggies. NO wait, you shouldn't eat corn.

3.) You should consume a good amount of healthy carbs. NO wait, you shouldn't eat whole wheat bread.

4.) You should consume a good amount of protein. NO wait, you shouldn't drink protein shakes.

LOL. The insanity of the health and fitness market. There's more ab belts out every week, there's more diets out every week, new exercise programs, but still a LARGE portion of our population is overweight.

Bottom line, stop with the over analysis and just stick to the basics. Workout, control your eating, eat majority of nutritious foods, space out your meals, drink water, and take natural vitamins/supplements.

End of story.
did u just equate fruit juice and fruit? r u ronald reagan?? lol

Reaction score
LOL. But you know what I meant though. Every month there's a new fad or piece of "advice" on how to "get fit." With the mass amounts of people out there that are overweight (which is the REAL problem), they should promote more common sense priniciples in getting people to change their lifestyles instead of more cartoonish/gimmicky routines.

"Lose 15 lbs in 10 days"
"Buy this belt and get abs in 60 days"

What about changing your lifestyle? Adding exercise (cardio and weight lifting) to your lifestyle 2-3 times a week, controlling food intake, eating nutritious for the most part, and if you want to eat "junk" foods just make sure you consume them in small quantities?

Getting people to look long-term, changing their lifestyles going forward until they die, instead of fad routines to "lose 30 lbs in 60 days."

That's why I laughed at the Atkins diet.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally agree with Will Brink on this subject. Consumer Reports is a terrible place to be getting any medical or nutrition advice. The linked article really tells you nothing, and as far as the testing they did that revealed heavy metals, I'm skeptical of those findings. Not to say they are making it up, but you have to put it into context. Dosage defines toxicity. I didnt see the report so I dont know what the concentrations of the heavy metals were, but like Will Brink said there are trace elements in many of the things we eat and drink. It doesnt necessarily make it "toxic" just because its there---it's the amount you should be concerned about. And dont think organic foods are somehow magically exempt from this either.

As far as protein products, it's a good idea to buy from a company that uses a FDA and NSF-GMP certified facility. I prefer Dymatize myself, but there are other quality brands out there. Just dont fall for the organic=better myth. Most of the time you are just paying more. Not trying to spark a debate but if you really want to be certain take it to a legitimate independent food/drug analysis lab and get it analyzed for the compound(s) you are concerned about.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Message Boy said:
they should promote more common sense priniciples in getting people to change their lifestyles instead of more cartoonish/gimmicky routines.
TONS of money to be made in the gimmicks though. People want quick fixes and results. Thats why the Atkins diet caught on so hard.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Message Boy said:

End of story.
No doubt. It really is a simple concept, but it's just hard to do because it takes a lifestyle change.