Boxing or Fitness?

nelysses

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There isn't a gym with boxing bag and weights, dumbells etc. So I have to choose one of them.
I will do shadow boxing etc and do fitness or I will do boxing and fitness with my body weight.
Which one do you preffer. Actually I want a body like that. Not too big.

Attachments

Reaction score
If you wan't to do boxing/thaiboxing/mma/grappling for fun and for learning to fight, that's really awesome, rewarding masculine hobby. Huge recommendation!

Of course it depends little bit on your genetics , but I would say that for any guy with normal genetics if getting a good looking body is your priority, lifting weights is the way to go. Every competitive boxer lifts too.

Also concerning the looks, broken nose and cauliflower ears are not the epitome of classic masculine beauty.. ;)
Although if you have other matching physical traits also the cauliflowers get you the respect from the guys that know. :cool:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting weights > Boxing

Both are good forms of exercise, but lifting weights would be my choice if I could only choose one.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally I don't see the point of boxing unless you're actually intending to spar and learn how to defend yourself in an actual fight. If you want to improve fitness/conditioning there are other ways...seems gimmicky. Most of the "fitness class" style boxing gyms that don't actually spar are pretty worthless imo.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to improve fitness/conditioning there are other ways...seems gimmicky. Most of the "fitness class" style boxing gyms that don't actually spar are pretty worthless imo.
Title Boxing Club is one of the largest names in the "fitness class" style boxing gyms.

By going to a Title Boxing class, it's possible to improve your fitness and maybe get a date with a female class attendee. Fitness classes in general don't live up to the hype with the great ratios because women are not very sociable in general before/after classes. The probable outcome is getting in better shape with dedication to going to those classes but the dates are less likely to be arranged.

AmitBajpayee

Reaction score
I think if you want a muscular body that is not too big, doing boxing with bodyweight exercises might be the best option. Plus, you will also be working on functional fitness which will come in very handy for boxy and just day-to-day life in general

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the "I don't want to get too big" arguments are ridiculous. No one accidentally started looking like Arnold.

Boxing for self defense and general badassery, lifting weights for looks.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@FlexpertHamilton and @SW15

I was going to add, a lot of boxing gyms you will see are honestly geared towards fitness classes for the average person that wants to get into shape and have fun doing it. Most people honestly get bored rather quickly with standard workout routines (lifting, cardio, etc.), so something like a boxing class is the right fit for them. It's fun and active, you get to hit things and try out different techniques, etc.

I personally would not get into boxing or MMA with the intent of actually trying to compete. I just cannot think of any real reason to do something that will very likely cause injury or brain damage for no real benefit. I knew a guy many years ago that was obsessed with MMA but honestly had no real athletic talent. Anyway, he signed up for some sort of amateur fight and spent many months training and preparing for it. At some point during the fight he ended up having his arm broken and that was it lol. This guy spent a ridiculous amount of time and energy invested into something that would have brought no real benefit to him, and to top it off he ended up getting a serious injury from it. Most of the guys I've met that get into this crap typically aren't very bright and don't have much going for them. Any guy who has a career or livelihood would not get involved with something like this.

If self defense was a concern, just buy a damn firearm lol. Being trained in BJJ or boxing is not really going to be much help when you have 4 guys that cornered you in a parking lot.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It may still be worth doing real boxing or something similar so you know how vulnerable you truly are in a fight. Most people who have street fights have no idea what they're signing up for. It's worth boxing to humble yourself. Or, possibly finding out you have a natural talent for it in which case, great. The risk of 1-2 serious spars aren't so great as to avoid it completely imo. If you take high dose Semax before and after a fight you're less likely to have any permanent brain injury.

And sure you can get a CC pistol but you have to be prepared to shoot to kill and possibly face prison time. A fight is far less likely to end up with a murder/manslaughter charge especially if you can knock someone out quickly then gtfo.

I was going to add, a lot of boxing gyms you will see are honestly geared towards fitness classes for the average person that wants to get into shape and have fun doing it. Most people honestly get bored rather quickly with standard workout routines (lifting, cardio, etc.), so something like a boxing class is the right fit for them. It's fun and active, you get to hit things and try out different techniques, etc.

I personally would not get into boxing or MMA with the intent of actually trying to compete. I just cannot think of any real reason to do something that will very likely cause injury or brain damage for no real benefit. I knew a guy many years ago that was obsessed with MMA but honestly had no real athletic talent. Anyway, he signed up for some sort of amateur fight and spent many months training and preparing for it. At some point during the fight he ended up having his arm broken and that was it lol. This guy spent a ridiculous amount of time and energy invested into something that would have brought no real benefit to him, and to top it off he ended up getting a serious injury from it. Most of the guys I've met that get into this crap typically aren't very bright and don't have much going for them. Any guy who has a career or livelihood would not get involved with something like this.

If self defense was a concern, just buy a damn firearm lol. Being trained in BJJ or boxing is not really going to be much help when you have 4 guys that cornered you in a parking lot.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Most guys obsessed with training have been victims before and dont ever want to be one again. Others just love the deep technical nature of hand to hand combat. It is rich in strategy and style.

Also fighting may not help in a parking lot situation but it does help in battles of ego. You can be more assertive around other men if you have the confidence of knowing how to hold your own. Go with boxing.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most guys obsessed with training have been victims before and dont ever want to be one again. Others just love the deep technical nature of hand to hand combat. It is rich in strategy and style.

Also fighting may not help in a parking lot situation but it does help in battles of ego. You can be more assertive around other men if you have the confidence of knowing how to hold your own. Go with boxing.
I definitely think there are a lot of benefits to it for sure. Back in 2015 I actually got into boxing/kickboxing for a bit and had a trainer that I worked with. I honestly enjoyed it for a while but my trainer moved and the others there I didn't really like so I moved on to other things. I mostly did it as a fun hobby and to get proficient at something new. I think stuff like this would be good for kids and teens especially.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It may still be worth doing real boxing or something similar so you know how vulnerable you truly are in a fight. Most people who have street fights have no idea what they're signing up for. It's worth boxing to humble yourself. Or, possibly finding out you have a natural talent for it in which case, great. The risk of 1-2 serious spars aren't so great as to avoid it completely imo. If you take high dose Semax before and after a fight you're less likely to have any permanent brain injury.

And sure you can get a CC pistol but you have to be prepared to shoot to kill and possibly face prison time. A fight is far less likely to end up with a murder/manslaughter charge especially if you can knock someone out quickly then gtfo.
I was mostly referring to actually competing. BJJ I tried for a month and hated it, mostly because the trainers/coaches were douchebags, as were the students there as well. I remember getting into a lot of weird positions that legitimately strained my elbows, hips and back. I distinctly recall waking up the next morning after one of the classes and having back pain as I got out of bed. I knew right then and there that I'd be jacked up if I stuck with it, so I cancelled the membership.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a lot of boxing gyms you will see are honestly geared towards fitness classes for the average person that wants to get into shape and have fun doing it. Most people honestly get bored rather quickly with standard workout routines (lifting, cardio, etc.), so something like a boxing class is the right fit for them. It's fun and active, you get to hit things and try out different techniques, etc.
The best thing about a boxing gym that is fitness class oriented is that participants won't be taking hits to the head.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best thing about a boxing gym that is fitness class oriented is that participants won't be taking hits to the head.
Yes. The potential minor cte and broken nose is not worth it. Maybe if I looked like Luke Rockhold I could afford a broken nose. The average guy cant afford to have a crooked nose. This my biggest fear with boxing. I also fear brain damage.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. The potential minor cte and broken nose is not worth it. Maybe if I looked like Luke Rockhold I could afford a broken nose. The average guy cant afford to have a crooked nose. This my biggest fear with boxing. I also fear brain damage.
The overwhelming majority of people that are interested in taking classes in boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, etc. are just normal individuals that want to get into a hobby that they will enjoy and get them into shape. Sure, you'll have some guys that legitimately want to compete and don't care about getting hurt. It makes absolutely no sense for a guy, or woman, with a career and other hobbies and interests to be engaging in an activity that can injure them, even potentially seriously so.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was mostly referring to actually competing. BJJ I tried for a month and hated it, mostly because the trainers/coaches were douchebags, as were the students there as well. I remember getting into a lot of weird positions that legitimately strained my elbows, hips and back. I distinctly recall waking up the next morning after one of the classes and having back pain as I got out of bed. I knew right then and there that I'd be jacked up if I stuck with it, so I cancelled the membership.
Yeh BJJ tends to be culty and sometimes the practioners are arrogant. That is what happens when you are the fastesr growing sport in America.

Also BJJ attract the more " nerdy/cerebral" types. They tend to get cultish.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh BJJ tends to be culty and sometimes the practioners are arrogant. That is what happens when you are the fastesr growing sport in America.

Also BJJ attract the more " nerdy/cerebral" types. They tend to get cultish.
That's exactly the vibe that I picked up on when I tried the BJJ out, this was back in 2015 as well. I was only there for a month but I remember on my first class the instructor made some comment about how "You are the nail and we are the hammer" lol. I remember there was a good degree of verbal bullying for sure, it was really off putting. A lot of the guys were actually kind of small and out of shape as well and gave me kind of an insecure vibe, especially since I am/was 6'4" and very fit/atheltic and well over 200 pounds. One made this comment about how it didn't matter and tried verbally bullying me. I tried to stick it out but I left because it was super off putting and that it made no sense to pay someone else to basically be treated like a child lol.