Books to read with an absent father figure?

HayashiST

Don Juan
Reaction score
My father taught me nothing, would love to know what I missed out on. What are some good reads on must know skills or life advice?

Perhaps Robert Kiyosaki?

Jack22

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've had some difficulty with this myself, but I haven't been able to find any relevant books. There is "the art of manliness" website, but that's no substitute for a father. For me, I think masculinity is something you impose on yourself.

I try to live up to Rollos quote of traditional masculinity, which I'll post below

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.08.40 PM.png

With a strong emphasis towards independence. You must be self sufficient, capable of taking care of yourself, and the things around you.

1606317138999.png

Walkman

Don Juan
Reaction score
"Get a job, and become your own man."

Would be my biggest advice. For some reason, growing up with a absent father I always felt something missing in me. However, all of these feelings stopped when I got a job and started making a living for myself. I stopped looking for male figures for guidance and instead, saw them as equal to me.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Masculinity is going to mean something different to almost every individual.

I grew up with a career driven mother who was awarded custody. As you can imagine, I later ended up having to do some self reevaluation.

One of the last things my mother told me before her passing was saying “son you are sounding a lot like your father.” She did not mean that as a compliment at all. But I took it as one and wear it like a badge of honor.

although I think masculinity can be subjective, here’s what works for me. Instead of seeking approval of peers or of women, I decided what mattered was how I felt about myself at the end of the day.

By being true to oneself, sometimes we lose friends and sometimes opportunities with women along the way. However, if we respect ourselves, then we eventually attract higher quality women and more solid friends.

When personally going through it this transformation, I noticed one thing in particular. Even when alone, I seldom feel lonely.I could be wrong, but I believe that most people feel loneliness because they prefer to be around others to avoid facing themselves.

When you like, respect, and become comfortable with yourself, others will be too.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Rational Male is always a good read.