Army Reserves

Sweet Ken

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
I'm probably joining the Army Reserves as an Intelligence Analyst. I'm supposed to enlist Thursday. Anyone have some good reasons as to why I should or shouldn't?

And I only want to hear from people that
A) are or have recently been in the Army Reserves
B) are currently in the Army or work with them
C) know what they're talking about

Help a brother out.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't fit A or B, but I do fit C. My uncle was a Colonel in the USAF, but retired before he made General... why, I don't know, but he was really psyched when I told him that I was interested in joining the reserves. From about 19-20, that's all I could think about. I was trying to make up my mind between the different branches when I realized that the USAF would probably be the easiest (phsyically). Then, I thought that perhaps the USMC would be better for me because of the discipline and fitness regimens... in the end, I didn't do either - I realized that while I would start off as an E-3 (my parents wouldn't let me drive until I got my Eagle Scout... which would have bumped me up an automatic 2 pay grades) in the Reserves, I could start as an officer (which still is horrible pay as compared to the civilian counterpart, but worlds better than just another enlisted grunt..) if I joined the military out of college. So, it's a college degree for me, and the military later.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ive been in the army.

and i trust me when i say that intelligence analysist is boring as hell. this is from my experience from ISTAR, even though i wasnt the one to analyze the intel, i was the one collecting (recon), and everytime i met or spoke to the guys that were analyzing, they all complained of how friggin boring and tedious it was.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to get out of it. I mean that as if you want to get the experience, GI Bill, pride etc etc. Do you plan to be in the intel field after college or as a career?

I was in Regular Army (during Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia) then reserves.

Sweet Ken

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to do it partly for the challenge and the pride that comes with it, the experience, and the college money. In that order. I've never really thought about the intel field but more than one teacher has said I'd be perfect for the CIA. Go figure.

Does anyone know where I could get numbers on who has been called up in to active duty lately? Or does anyone know if there's going to be another run of it soon? If I have to eat sand then I'll do it, but If I don't have to then that's fine too.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sweet Ken
I want to do it partly for the challenge and the pride that comes with it, the experience, and the college money. In that order. I've never really thought about the intel field but more than one teacher has said I'd be perfect for the CIA. Go figure.

Does anyone know where I could get numbers on who has been called up in to active duty lately? Or does anyone know if there's going to be another run of it soon? If I have to eat sand then I'll do it, but If I don't have to then that's fine too.
Not to discourage you, they told us that the ones who should we be aware of spying against are your types. :D
Seriously, that's what our Intel Officer told the company.

With your MOS, you will probably get shipped out to Persian Gulf.

Sweet Ken

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sshh, you'll blow my cover...hey, I've got a present for you. Why don't you go start your car and see what it is? :D

Nah, I'm no spy, unless someone pays me enough, wink wink nudge nudge. I had my suspicions that I'd be doing some sand time, I just wanted to hear from someone else. I'm not really in love with my MOS anyway. It hasn't actually been assigned-I've only got it reserved, so I'll see if I can switch to something else, soemthing that's needed in the States.

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
Do it. It'll be the best thing you've ever done with your life. Haha, just look at my sn. My army boyfriend LOVES it and he feels so proud to be in the army. He was in the national guard and got activated and is going to be deployed soon to Kosovo. We'll miss each other but he's excited to go. I would give you his email address but i dont know how he'd feel about that. Maybe i'll pm it to you if he says its ok if i give it out. its worth it.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...so I'll see if I can switch to something else, soemthing that's needed in the States.
If you want something stateside, join the AGR (active duty component that supports the reserves). Most of the AGRs I know are have their original MOS but mostly working admin. With that said, I am not sure if you can join AGR without going through your typical assignments first.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure do it. We need more volunteers to fight GW Smirk's oil war. With all the benefits listed above, comes a price/risk. Make sure you are getting a lot more out of your experience to make it worth not just the risk, but the time you'll need to put in.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right now there's no such thing as "reserves". Mark my words. They'll pack you up and ship you off to Iraq so fast it'll make your head spin. Don't fall for the recruiters lies and propoganda.

If you want money for college then apply for a stafford loan. it's not worth dying in Bush's war for oil to fund your college education.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I ain't fighting.... To quote Chris Rock... Call me a faggòt, but when the war ends, I'll be the faggòt with two legs!!!:D

Sweet Ken

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gangster Of Love
Sure do it. We need more volunteers to fight GW Smirk's oil war.
Please, don't turn this in to a political thread. I don't want this thing locked down because I want some honest advice.

Originally posted by Dust 2 Dust
Right now there's no such thing as "reserves". Mark my words. They'll pack you up and ship you off to Iraq so fast it'll make your head spin. Don't fall for the recruiters lies and propoganda.
See, I've heard this from people that have no evidence to back it up and just hate the war or Bush. I've heard the same thing from my high school classmates that don't even know anyone in the army. Do you have something to back that up? For instance, are you in the army, or have seen the numbers? Can you give me something concrete? If so, I'd honestly love to hear it. I've been dying to find someone that knows what they're talking about.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

See, I've heard this from people that have no evidence to back it up and just hate the war or Bush. I've heard the same thing from my high school classmates that don't even know anyone in the army. Do you have something to back that up? For instance, are you in the army, or have seen the numbers? Can you give me something concrete? If so, I'd honestly love to hear it. I've been dying to find someone that knows what they're talking about.

What else do you want to know? Did you read my reply about the AGR?

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please, don't turn this in to a political thread. I don't want this thing locked down because I want some honest advice.

"Blind faith in your leaders, or in anyting will get you killed."

1200+ U.S. casualties, those are real numbers, and enough evidence. You don't want honest advice. Seems like you want to hear people helping you rationalize,and back up the decision to go. Young man, just go. I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. You've gotten enough of the positive answers and advice you're looking for. Go for it. Your decisions are what is gonna determine the destination in your life. In the long run, not all of your decisions will be easy, but most will be rewarding.

I am officially out of this thread.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Sure do it. We need more volunteers to fight GW Smirk's oil war. With all the benefits listed above, comes a price/risk. Make sure you are getting a lot more out of your experience to make it worth not just the risk, but the time you'll need to put in.
Keep your left-nut talking points out of it - this guy is trying to make a career decision.

Do you think you can keep your self-serving comments out of it?
Can we keep the thread non-political so it doesn't get locked, or is that your intent?

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint
Keep your left-nut talking points out of it - this guy is trying to make a career decision.

Do you think you can keep your self-serving comments out of it?
Can we keep the thread non-political so it doesn't get locked, or is that your intent?
STFU

Then why don't you offer him some advice, instead of trolling & flaming? Bitsh.

I had officially checked out of this threadt; you got a problem, PM me, stop flaming here.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
STFU

Then why don't you offer him some advice, instead of trolling & flaming? Bitsh.

I had officially checked out of this threadt; you got a problem, PM me, stop flaming here.
If you officially checked out of this thread, then why are you still posting to it?

The only one trolling and flaming here is you - you just couldn't resist turning this into a political thread.

The guy wants career advice - not your ignorant talking points.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek Flint
If you officially checked out of this thread, then why are you still posting to it?

The only one trolling and flaming here is you - you just couldn't resist turning this into a political thread.

The guy wants career advice - not your ignorant talking points.
GIVE HIM ADVICE, YOU TROLL. He wants carreer advice, and you haven't even offered anything. YOu have succeded in making me come back after I said I was done here. You are the man. NOW CONTRIBUTE.

Let me see. As far as my ignorant opinion is concerned, hmm, the military's job is to train you to be a soldier and go fight in war. That is the nature of the beast. I might be wrong, though. How is the nature of the job, and mentioning it turning it political. War is war, and the military is all about fighting for your country. Or are you that ignorant?

Are there positives? Off course. The advice was to go for what he wants to do. It is a bed time story, a fairy tale to tell him that it is all good and that the possibility of going to war is just not there. Those are fairy tales. He was just reminded by a few here of what the job consists of. Shouldn't he make his decision based on pro's and cons. If honor and serving are good things to him, as it is for most veterans, then it might be the best option for him. That was my advice for him.

GIVE HIM ADVICE. Add something, beside bitsh about political this and that, and name calling.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gangster, please, shut up and quit pretending you don't know that you're using this thread to air out your tired political opinions. A simple "If you are aware that you can still be sent to war as a reservist, and are still ready for that, then by all means do it" would have sufficed, you dolt.

Sweet Ken: I'll say what I said up here: If you are aware that you can still be sent to war as a reservist, and are still ready for that, then by all means do it.