Are there guys who don't take cold showers?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing cold showers since I was 5 years old, I had no idea it was actually a 'thing' now.

I always thought everyone took cold showers, but seems like I was wrong.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll be honest, cold showers in the winter are not it for me.

If I can wear shorts outside in the morning, I'm doing cold showers though.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, at least you do them sometimes, but they're actually most effective in the cold.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the better question would have been are there any guys that DO take cold showers. I'll take one to get the edge off of a hangover or if I really need a quick jolt, but not regularly.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I'm in my routine I'll go to the pool early, use the steam room and then once I'm hot I'll go turn on the shower to the coldest temperature, then just kind of rotate between the 2.

In general though I'm a hot water guy, I don't even drink cold water usually, either tea, hot water or coffee.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey everyone look at me, I take cold showers, I'm a super alpha wolf hoooraaaaaa
Sometimes, you're such a child, Gainz. Only a wuss could think that taking cold showers is an 'alpha' thing.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive always found it tough… with the exception of a short time when i has covid

when i had covid for a week or two i had a real foggy brain and my head felt a little numb. I found i could stand in a cold shower for minutes without it bothering me so i kept doing it for days until eventually i started to feel normal and reacted to the cold again.

in the book dopamine nation they talk about a guy who loved cold showers so much that it helped him beat a cocaine addiction

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in the book dopamine nation they talk about a guy who loved cold showers so much that it helped him beat a cocaine addiction
Did they mention any downsides to cold showering?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahaha, for real, there is a trend going on that masculine man shower with cold water and that makes them more manly, its the new identity for lost men.
That's why I was wondering about this. I've been doing this for fifty years, I thought it was a normal thing (women also take cold showers here) so I was kind of amazed that something so ordinary is considered masculine, or even 'alpha'.

When I was young, our family used to go for two weeks camping on Terschelling at a camping that didn't have hot water at all. Everyone showered cold only. Nobody considered that 'tough' or 'manly' at all.

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's why I was wondering about this. I've been doing this for fifty years, I thought it was a normal thing (women also take cold showers here) so I was kind of amazed that something so ordinary is considered masculine, or even 'alpha'.

When I was young, our family used to go for two weeks camping on Terschelling at a camping that didn't have hot water at all. Everyone showered cold only. Nobody considered that 'tough' or 'manly' at all.
Yesh its new, everything that our ancestors did now is considered alpha, cold showers, sleeping in caves, hunting with a bow, eating raw meat, not using A/C or heater in the house. Bunch of bs

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesh its new, everything that our ancestors did now is considered alpha, cold showers, sleeping in caves, hunting with a bow, eating raw meat, not using A/C or heater in the house. Bunch of bs
Wow.
Most Dutch houses don't even have air-conditioning.

My current house is the first with central heating, my previous apartment had a gas stove in the living room, but no heating anywhere else in the house:
Balistraat living room with couch gas heater stove judo mats.jpeg
I had a Zibro Kamin heater for the bedroom in winter, but we didn't use it much.
Balistraat dark bedroom zibro kamin.jpeg

And when I was vagabonding across the UK, I killed rabbits with a slingshot / catapult, because I couldn't walk around with a longbow like Robin Hood.

obelisk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll be honest, cold showers in the winter are not it for me.

^^this. I get it and I like them (but don't always do them relgiously) but have very little desire to have a cold shower during the coldest months of the year.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^this. I get it and I like them (but don't always do them relgiously) but have very little desire to have a cold shower during the coldest months of the year.
Like I said, that's when you benefit most.

obelisk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah you're right. Thanks for saying that. I should reevaluate my habits regarding this. :up:

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like I said, that's when you benefit most.
Curious, what benefits do you believe you get from cold showers?

The most prevalent information I'm aware of (a la "cold plunge/ice bath") is that they help with stress management via cortisol response. This leads to a dopamine baseline increase for hours afterwards. In this regard, they are best done early in the morning.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did they mention any downsides to cold showering?
No I don’t recall any. I think the one guy progressed from cold showering to ice baths. With ice baths there are some risks of course.