Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone known anything about Air rifles?

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a pellet gun. The kind that are single sh0t and shoot pellets only. they have similar perfomances to a 22lr and the pellets are a little cheaper than .22lr, and you can hunt small game plus you can target practice in metro areas. I don't have the model numbers but Walmart has a Crosman storm XT (I think) for $109, then a Beeman for $124. Another store has a Ruger on sale for $99. All three are made in China, but I heard Crosmans have quality problems so I'm thinking the Ruger might be a better deal but I'm not sure if they're good either. Walmart has a Gamo for $150. These are made in Spain and supposedly are better quality, but I'm not sure if they're worth 50% more.

I could always run out and pay 300+ and get a good one, but I don't want to pay almost as much for one as a real gun. I wanted to do it on the cheap and getting something that's the best deal under $150. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or interest in air guns.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
I was thinking about getting a pellet gun.
Look at some of the higher end models on places like Cabelas or more seriously dedicated airgun sites. They are not firearms (although they MIGHT be considered weapons) so you can legally get them via mail order most places. Calibers are available up to .68 and some of the larger ones are serious devices.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Look at some of the higher end models on places like Cabelas or more seriously dedicated airgun sites. They are not firearms (although they MIGHT be considered weapons) so you can legally get them via mail order most places. Calibers are available up to .68 and some of the larger ones are serious devices.
Yep. If you want a good one forget walmart. Check cabelas, bass pro, etc.

The one thing I do know is they'll probably be the only guns you can legally buy once the bans start (better get a single shot though, no "dangerous" semi-autos lol)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would just get a used .22 rifle that you can afford. Read up about guns and visit some gun shops and pawn stores. Especially with a semi-auto, a .22 can be a lethal weapon in the hands of a trained marksman.

Although the practicing in the city thing I could see as being a big deal, if it means the difference in getting a lot of practice. I learned to shoot on an air rifle that was shaped like an M16. It had the same sights. So later in college, I qualified as expert on the first day at the range with ROTC, shooting the real M16. I was in the top 10% of the ROTC battalion for marksmanship, and better than a lot of prior-service guys who had real experience, because of all the time I spent plinking at cans with my bb gun. A .22 will not do you any good if you don't get to practice with it.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I would just get a used .22 rifle that you can afford. Read up about guns and visit some gun shops and pawn stores. Especially with a semi-auto, a .22 can be a lethal weapon in the hands of a trained marksman.

Although the practicing in the city thing I could see as being a big deal, if it means the difference in getting a lot of practice. I learned to shoot on an air rifle that was shaped like an M16. It had the same sights. So later in college, I qualified as expert on the first day at the range with ROTC, shooting the real M16. I was in the top 10% of the ROTC battalion for marksmanship, and better than a lot of prior-service guys who had real experience, because of all the time I spent plinking at cans with my bb gun. A .22 will not do you any good if you don't get to practice with it.
Yeah this is basically the reason i want to get a pellet rifle. I think guys that plink around become the best shooters. I have a .22 and it doesn't cost much to shoot and would prefer it but it's a pain going to the range. Also the pellet gun can be used for small game hunting and pests in this metro area. I've had BB/pellet long air guns as a kid but I never had a quality pellet rifle. I was just wondering mostly if something like a Gamo is worth 50-100% or more than the Crosman or Ruger. sounds like most said it would be.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
Yeah this is basically the reason i want to get a pellet rifle. I think guys that plink around become the best shooters. I have a .22 and it doesn't cost much to shoot and would prefer it but it's a pain going to the range. Also the pellet gun can be used for small game hunting and pests in this metro area. I've had BB/pellet long air guns as a kid but I never had a quality pellet rifle. I was just wondering mostly if something like a Gamo is worth 50-100% or more than the Crosman or Ruger. sounds like most said it would be.
Please, please be careful about shooting anything weapon-like outdoors in an urban area. It's a great way to get arrested, or possibly shot.
Check your local laws.

I think your idea is a sound one, otherwise. I've had a few spring-air rifles and they were quite powerful, and accurate. Gamo and Beemans are excellent, as has been noted previously.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Range memberships are cheap and the sport is a ton of fun.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Range memberships are cheap and the sport is a ton of fun.
Yeah but I can go through $20 or more worth of ammo in 2 seconds with a pull of the trigger with an "assault" gun. And just wait till the ammo taxes and bans comes around :whistle:.

be careful about shooting anything weapon-like outdoors in an urban area. It's a great way to get arrested, or possibly shot.
Check your local laws.
Yeah luckily I don't live in a metro area like D.C or Chicago. We have are share of 2nd amendment right infringements like any metro aea does but we also have CCW and castle docterine. But yeah you still have to be careful in suburban areas, probably need a pellet trap or backstop.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
Yeah but I can go through $20 or more worth of ammo ....
I realize you're being funny but seriously, just choose your range gun(s) with TCO in mind and you can have a lot of fun on the cheap.