Any vehicle repair experts

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taking my SUV in to the dealer on Tuesday. Just wanted to get an idea what could be wrong and what $ I am looking at.

when driving on bumpy roads it shakes ridiculously ! To the point the steering wheel feels like it might shake out of my hands. I have a 2019 Toyota 4 runner. No other issues just that the extreme bumpiness when going over certain portions of the road.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do an internet search for videos for the mark-model car and the particular problem you're having. There will probably be someone who has done a video on how to fix the problem, including what you need to do to take out all the stuff to install the replcement part.

Your problem sounds like a bad axle, struts, motor mount, or alignment. I'd go to an alignment shop to get a better price.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Should be under warranty, I'd hope, could be any of the below:

Tire Condition: Uneven tire wear, improperly inflated tires, or damaged tires
Wheel Balance: Unbalanced wheels can lead to vibration that may be felt in the steering wheel.
Wheel Alignment: Improper alignment can also cause your vehicle to shake and generally results in uneven tire wear as well.
Suspension Issues: Damaged or worn-out struts, shocks, or bushings
Steering Components: Issues with the tie rods, control arms, or other steering components
Brake Issues: Warped rotors or uneven brake pad wear can sometimes manifest as shaking when driving.
Drivetrain: Issues in the drivetrain components can also cause vibration although this is generally felt throughout the vehicle, not just the steering wheel.

Are there no idiot lights on?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Machine,
Could be something as simple as loose Wheel nuts,(Thieves will often loosen all nuts before very quickly flogging your Wheels,maybe disturbed?)....So go round each wheel and using your wheel spanner tighten each nut....Get under the vehicle and shake vigourously,up and down as well as sideways,all the Rods going to the front Wheels and Steering Relay while protecting your hands with a rag....Could be a collapsed or loose Tie Rod End,but the most likely culprit is a warped wheel rim from hitting a curb....For curiousities sake tell us your Mechanics verdict.

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taking my SUV in to the dealer on Tuesday. Just wanted to get an idea what could be wrong and what $ I am looking at.

when driving on bumpy roads it shakes ridiculously ! To the point the steering wheel feels like it might shake out of my hands. I have a 2019 Toyota 4 runner. No other issues just that the extreme bumpiness when going over certain portions of the road.
Could be:
- tires need replacement, unbalanced or the balancing weights fell off.
- if you brake and that happens, rotors are warped, need replacement
- one of rims lock nuts is out
- wheels are not centered when they installed them.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Should be under warranty, I'd hope, could be any of the below:

Tire Condition: Uneven tire wear, improperly inflated tires, or damaged tires
Wheel Balance: Unbalanced wheels can lead to vibration that may be felt in the steering wheel.
Wheel Alignment: Improper alignment can also cause your vehicle to shake and generally results in uneven tire wear as well.
Suspension Issues: Damaged or worn-out struts, shocks, or bushings
Steering Components: Issues with the tie rods, control arms, or other steering components
Brake Issues: Warped rotors or uneven brake pad wear can sometimes manifest as shaking when driving.
Drivetrain: Issues in the drivetrain components can also cause vibration although this is generally felt throughout the vehicle, not just the steering wheel.

Are there no idiot lights on?
Yes, the steering system could be out of alignment. An alignment shop will be able to diagnose it.

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As Pierce says - could be any one - or more - of several things.
Very difficult to narrow it down by feel when driving over rough terrain.

It would be much easier if you're getting any symptoms on smoother roads.
Just one basic example:
If you get this shaking while going round a bend at say... 40+but fine in a straight line .... could maybe signify a ball-joint on the lower arm, or track-rod end.

Without more to go on, it's very difficult to diagnose on a forum - notice the 'if', 'could' and 'maybe'.....
Get a local mechanic to take a look at it.