Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

any tips for fixing really bad posture?

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
my body feels (and is) twisted and it affects everything I do. I've tried lots of things to try and fix it but with limited success. Right now I'm getting treated by a Podiatrist but I'm looking for more options and more input on how I can fix this shyt cause it's fukking up my life.

here's what my posture looks like;

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ep21dj.jpg

basically my lower body is twisted and my right leg/side constantly points and moves out. I'm uncomfortable standing, walking and sitting and literally can't run.

I'm posting this here in the hope that maybe someone has some extra suggestions that might be able to help me

thanks

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
also interested. I am sitting in bed or not properly most of the day, and my back aches quite a bit from that + working out.

check out magnificent mobility, heard good thigns

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do some yoga and pilates moves. Firm up your core. Do you read Men's Health? They usually have some good stretches and core workouts in there, and I used them for 3 reasons: 1 - I don't have to think, 2 - I already have the magazine, 3 - It mixes up the workouts.

Also sleep on your back at night. Google rhomboid exercises and that will help pull your shoulders back and align them. Other than that, you just have to consciously make an effort to suck your gut in and hold your head up straight.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
Do some yoga and pilates moves. Firm up your core. Do you read Men's Health? They usually have some good stretches and core workouts in there, and I used them for 3 reasons: 1 - I don't have to think, 2 - I already have the magazine, 3 - It mixes up the workouts.

Also sleep on your back at night. Google rhomboid exercises and that will help pull your shoulders back and align them. Other than that, you just have to consciously make an effort to suck your gut in and hold your head up straight.
this is good advice. I currently do a core workout 3 times a week but I'll add some Pilates stuff to it. Towards the end of the year I'm planning on getting hardcore into Yoga too.

I generally end up sleeping on my front but I'll try to sleep on my back. I've tried before and found it difficult / impossible but I'll keep trying at it.

Drum&Bass said:
Your problem is to complicated to try and fix over a message board, try doing these exercises daily

http://vimeo.com/8972746

http://vimeo.com/8950987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdv6UQXAb_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS-oq6EPiPU

focus the majority of your exercises on the right side of your body and focus on keeping it aligned.

Do lots of static holding positions as well...like holding your right knee into your chest for long periods of time while lying down.
great videos and tips. thanks so much for posting them.

also, have you ever had a client with similar postural issues as me or is my condition quite rare? I'd love to know that someone else has transformed themselves from where I'm at know to having excellent alignment.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no posture issue I can't fix. I've had folks who were in a much worse position than you but a few months of training and I had them running, jumping, playing sports, hiking and lifting heavy weights.

I also pick up the slack for physiotherapists who need to deal with injured clients and I do their jobs for them.

Were you born with any abnormalities or is this just lifestyle that has affected your posture ? I ask because I also have clients with physical deformities which also affects their posture and movement.

It is a a process that requires alot of thinking and doing. If you lived in Atlanta i'd take you on as a client and fix you in a few months. Your condition requires daily exercises for long periods of time. Not terribly exciting but a few months of long static exercising combined with strengthening certain muscles in the correct order and you should be fine.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just adding to the "Do pilates and yoga" croud, but you seem to be planning it all ready.

My posture used to be dreadfull, now its awesome, the difference is pilates, yoga, combined with strenth/flexibility training and constant vigilence to ensure good posture at all times.

I dont need to focus on it so much now, its engrained, but when I was first changing I had to really think about it regularly throughout the day, and I recommend you keep the same focus.

good luck,

Cure.

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
There is no posture issue I can't fix. I've had folks who were in a much worse position than you but a few months of training and I had them running, jumping, playing sports, hiking and lifting heavy weights.

I also pick up the slack for physiotherapists who need to deal with injured clients and I do their jobs for them.

Were you born with any abnormalities or is this just lifestyle that has affected your posture ? I ask because I also have clients with physical deformities which also affects their posture and movement.

It is a a process that requires alot of thinking and doing. If you lived in Atlanta i'd take you on as a client and fix you in a few months. Your condition requires daily exercises for long periods of time. Not terribly exciting but a few months of long static exercising combined with strengthening certain muscles in the correct order and you should be fine.
Wow man, that's really impressive that you are able to help people transform their posture and their lives like that. I know how much it would have improved your clients lives.

In terms of my history, my Mum said that I used to swing my right leg out when I crawled for a few months while learning to crawl. I also sprained both ankles pretty badly when I was playing basketball as a teenager. I do think it's something I've had since a young age and it has progressively got worse and worse.

I wish I lived in Atlanta so I could get your help but I'm in Australia. Thanks anyway though man. You've at least inspired me and given me direction and hope. How did you learn what you know? I wonder if it's possible that there are some people with similar knowledge and skill in Sydney that I could find someway. Any suggestions on where to look for someone with similar skill and knowledge as you in Sydney?

Cure said:
Just adding to the "Do pilates and yoga" croud, but you seem to be planning it all ready.

My posture used to be dreadfull, now its awesome, the difference is pilates, yoga, combined with strenth/flexibility training and constant vigilence to ensure good posture at all times.

I dont need to focus on it so much now, its engrained, but when I was first changing I had to really think about it regularly throughout the day, and I recommend you keep the same focus.

good luck,

Cure.
I'm very happy for you and thanks for the kind words bro. Out of interest, what type of strength and flexibility training did you do? Just general lifting weights and stretching or something specific for your posture?

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
There is no posture issue I can't fix.

Drum&Bass, what is your specialty/occupation? It sounds interesting.
Did you develop these techniques or are there other people who practice them?

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:

what are the best exercises to get rid of lower back pain? I've been doing planks and that dogbird thing, anything else?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know Amazing ??? When do you start to notice the pain ?? is it muscular or do you feel pain in the spine ?

Any suggestions on where to look for someone with similar skill and knowledge as you in Sydney?
Sorry stayfly, im not familiar with any fitness coaches in Sydney.

I wish I lived in Atlanta so I could get your help but I'm in Australia. Thanks anyway though man. You've at least inspired me and given me direction and hope. How did you learn what you know?
Its this very reason why I do this job full time ! thanx.

I learned what I did through trial and error, lots of thinking through and doing a lot of experimenting on myself.

Drum&Bass, what is your specialty/occupation? It sounds interesting.
Did you develop these techniques or are there other people who practice them?
occupation, Im a trainer, I specialize in strength and conditioning and everyday I go to work it doesnt feel like work. I get paid to hang out with people I like (who eventually become good friends with me) while I get them healthier, very rewarding and it pays my bills/rent/leisure. Alot of stuff I develop on my own, every once in awhile I read about something another strength coach does and i'll incorporate it into my collection of exercises.

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazing said:
what are the best exercises to get rid of lower back pain? I've been doing planks and that dogbird thing, anything else?
Describe this in detail and I may be able to help. I've been around the moon and back with lower back pain. From pain blocks to therapy to surgery to yoga to almost unnoticeable pain.

Amazing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is definitely muscular from bad posture.

I do squats and deadlifts and it is more evident, but goes away, but the one from bad posture lingers a little.

My back would start hurting after walking around a mall for example. And the posture walking I THINK is fine, it's sitting down part, i don't sit in chairs normally, always crooked.. I don't know how to fix it, its just more comfortable

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
I don't know Amazing ??? When do you start to notice the pain ?? is it muscular or do you feel pain in the spine ?

Sorry stayfly, im not familiar with any fitness coaches in Sydney.

Its this very reason why I do this job full time ! thanx.

I learned what I did through trial and error, lots of thinking through and doing a lot of experimenting on myself.

occupation, Im a trainer, I specialize in strength and conditioning and everyday I go to work it doesnt feel like work. I get paid to hang out with people I like (who eventually become good friends with me) while I get them healthier, very rewarding and it pays my bills/rent/leisure. Alot of stuff I develop on my own, every once in awhile I read about something another strength coach does and i'll incorporate it into my collection of exercises.

awesome bro. thanks for the inspiration and advice

you're doing a great thing for people

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Couple of tips

Try standing flat on a wall for 5 seconds then move away and keep the posture for 5 seconds and repeat several times each day.

Pretend you have dumbbells in your hand and flex your arms like your doing a rep, after put your index finger on your back of your neck and push your chest forward. You should feel tension on your finger.

Take a deep breath into your lungs and hold that posture.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Neanderthal No More
Extensive 5 part Series on the how to's and why's regarding postural problems and how to correct and maintain better posture.

Part 1
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Neanderthal+No+More,+Part+I:+With+Eric+Cressey

Part 2
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Neanderthal+No+More,+Part+II:+With+Eric+Cressey

Part 3
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Neanderthal+No+More,+Part+III:+With+Eric+Cressey

Part 4
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Neanderthal+No+More,+Part+IV:+With+Eric+Cressey

part 5
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/Neanderthal+No+More,+Part+V:+With+Eric+Cressey

Now this series can get very complex in some parts so for the average joe just take what you can apply and use it. Yet it's a gold mine of info.

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
look up the alexander technique.
it's not something you can learn online. you'll have to find a teacher.
but every great musician/acrobat/dancer has learned the alexander technique.