AH909s Stronglifts 5x5 journal

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting this journal to keep track of my progress as i start this program. Currently im 17, 5-11, 155lbs. Ive been lifting for the last 4 years or so but i would always overtrain and not have good enough nutrition. For those who dont know about the routine heres the link.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Week 1, Workout 1, A day

Squat - 115

Bench - 85

Rows - 65

Felt weird going so low on my lifts as i can normally squat around 225 and bench around 155 but this is what the calculations told me to do. My goal is to get over 200 on bench and 300 on squat. Also to increase my pull up count from 10 to 15. Not really sore because my body is already used to lifting. Now i just need to make sure i eat enough to make up what i will lose from football practice tonight.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
You start at 50% of your max and add 5 lbs every workout. My weight for the last week is 290.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 1, Workout 2, B day

Squat - 220

Overhead Press - 55

Deadlift - 135

Think I went a little high on Deads today. Ive never really done them before so I didnt really have a max to work off of and i need to get the form down. I almost went 65 on Press but decided to go down thinking long term.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you doing 5 sets of 5 with the same weight or do you have 2 lighter sets and then your working sets?

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
You do a couple warm up sets before but other than that it's the same weight all 5 sets. And in my last post my squat weight shouldve been 120 not 220.

apocolipto

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good job! Remember you won't bulk much since you're burning way to much calories at football. When does the season end? Then you can go on a real bulk.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
apocolipto said:
Good job! Remember you won't bulk much since you're burning way to much calories at football. When does the season end? Then you can go on a real bulk.
True, he will burn off some calories during football. I'd say just make sure you put more calories in than you burn. I'd also look into a weight gain shake to have between meals to make sure your getting all the calories and protein you need.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya ive been eating a sh*t ton to make up for what i lose from football. Last game is Oct. 26 but we will be in the playoffs after that so ill be done by mid-november. Ive also started eating better quality food. Like i make eggs every morning istead of just grabbing a granola bar and ive started eating tuna sandwhiches for lunch everyday.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Focus on getting your form right, especially now while you're keeping the weight low. Do a set with just the bar, and two 45s for deadlift first warmup. Getting your form right is so vital. Ask people that look knowledgable in your gym to spot your form and such. Perhaps videotape yourself and post it on the bodybuilding forums for critique. You really don't wanna **** up on your deadlifts.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Day late but heres how it went yesterday

Week 1, Workout 3, A day

Squat - 125

Bench - 90

Rows - 70

I cant lift during my weight training class on fridays because its basketball day and we dont go to the weight room so I have to go to the y during my open period. I was a little hesitent to lift on fridays because its gameday but I get enough rest in between. Weighed myself this morning and im up to 160 from 155 after 1 week. It was before I had eaten anything too.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 2, Workout 1, B day

Squat - 130

Overhead Press - 60

Deads - 145

Really focused on form today on deads. I wasnt bending over far enough which was forcing me to use my lower back muscles more than I wanted. Made sure to really use my glutes and other leg muscles.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 2, Workout 2, A day

Squat - 135

Bench - 95

Rows - 75

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 2, Workout 3, B day

Squat - 140

Overhead press - 65

Dead - 155

Felt like sh*t today but hit the gym anyways. Ive actually felt better ever since I got back. I ate alot of crap food today and last night so thats probably why. Need to watch that stuff.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Got in & got the job done! :box:

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good stuff will be interesting to track your progress.

i did some pretty stupid stuff for the first 6-9 months of training, but you know what? it built up my conditioning very well, so when i switched to strength training i improved rapidly.

I always start with alot less weight than i could do, just to build up to each progression and develop momentum.

1lb a week is more than enough weight gain for a noob. if you plot that out, its 52lbs a year which for most people is ALOT.

Here's a simple process to make sure you're gaining the right kind of weight.

1. Weigh yourself every sunday morning (or another consistent day).

2. Measure your waistline, around your belly button.

Keep track of the results.

If you're gaining weight, and your waistline measurement is growing, then its the wrong kind of weight and you should either attempt to gain weight at slower rate, or assess your diet and training. Or both.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 3, Workout 1, A day

Squat - 145

Bench - 100

Rows - 80

Felt like sh*t again today due to a stressful weekend and i didnt get enough sleep last night. Will make up for it tonight. I usually weigh myself like every friday or saturday. I went back down to like 157 this week. I think its cause the 5 lbs i gained the first week was because I ate like a plow and alot of it was water weight which i quickly lost due to my metabolism.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 3, Workout 2, B day

Squat - 150

Overhead Press - 70

Dead - 165

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 3, Workout 3, A day

Squat - 155

Bench - 105

Rows - 85

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AH909 said:
Week 3, Workout 3, A day

Squat - 155

Bench - 105

Rows - 85
Keep it up, you may have only started at 50% but, that gives you more time to progress than to stall out quickly.

AH909

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 4, Workout 1, B day

160 - Squat

Overhead Press - 75

Dead - 175

Ya i used to always think you had to lift big to get big and that would do nothing but cause me to overwork my body.