About to Graduate, Regretting the past

Chromeo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well Im about to graduate.

Graduated highschool wishing I had more fun, Now graduating college wishing I had more fun, e.i. more sex, more partying, more disregard for order. Never had the means to do so tho, I paid my own way, always needed to work. Its always been such a struggle.

Only a couple one night stands, never any random sex in bathrooms with classmates like some of my buddies. Not a single wild spring break vacation.

Always envied the kids who had their way paid by parents and all they had to do was get a part time job(if that) for some spending cash and worry about doing their HW.

wishing I took life less seriously.

But I guess I just have to look forward. The fact I did take it rather seriously has landed me with my own business with decent potential, I good business and hard working ethic, a couple of close buddies albeit not the best with women.

scared graduating is gonna turn me old. Although my friends in highschool would sometimes even call me an old man. But the city is still full of college girls, hoping my chances and improvement continue on course and grow.

Kal0051

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whatever dude, your life is just beginning. Look on the bright side, now that you took your education seriously you probably have extra cash to throw around and have a good time. College is a time for fun but way too many ppl have too much fun and flunk out or aren't prepared for the real world. Just have as much fun as you want in the years to come.

Don Wha

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was on the same boat as you. I worked my ass off thru college. Every year, my birthday would land right smack in the middle of finals week. But it was all good. I knew that I was investing in myself. Was I a little jealous of my friends that had their parents pay their college tuition? Yes. But we are all dealt different hands in life and you work with what you got. Work hard now, have fun later.

And I agree with kal0051. You are NOT old. Life begins when you get school of of the way. Now its time to reap the rewards. A little while after graduating, I landed a pretty decent job. All the hard work I put while in college is now paying off.

I wouldn't really consider myself old til my late 30's. I'm just 25 now, so I've got at least a whole decade to flourish before I would consider myself "old".I'm not even sure if I would use the word old, but "older". You on the other hand have even more years than that. Just know that life is what you make of it. You're not old unless you feel and act old.

As for regrets....What's done is done. It's all in the past. You cant change it. However, you can learn from it and take away all that you can from those experiences. You CAN change the future. It's never too late.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake of thinking those spoiled kids "have it made". Eventually, EVERYBODY has to carry their weight in the big boy world, and they will be caught with their pants down.

Your experience is worth its weight in gold.

Pain and sacrifice build character and self-determination, something the kiddies have nothing of. They are the same people who will get married because "it seemed like the thing to do", and they will burden themselves with kids and excessive consumer debt for the same reason.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did exactly what you did and will graduate in a month with the same "regrets". But I know that in the end it's worth it because it allowed me to focus on more important things: studying, which landed me a great phd project with complete funding, sports, where I went from being completely out of shape to becoming a competitive cyclist, and the list goes on.

If you're happy that you made those sacrifices for a good reason then chicks come second!! You'll have plenty of time to catch up on that later in your life when you're a successful businessman and women are throwing themselves at you but your buddies are all overweight, depressed, and riding out the next financial crunch on their mother's couch. Or something to that effect...

starplayer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky.

I'm also about to graduate. However, I spent my first 2 years at college partying and doing no work, and I've truly and utterly fvcked up my degree. I regret it and wish I'd studied harder. Yeah, I have some good memories but what the fvck does that really matter now?

I know college is a good chance to have fun but if you get a good job you can still spend the years ahead having even more fun. You're still young.

Short-term pleasure = long-term pain

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mikeyb said:
I did exactly what you did and will graduate in a month with the same "regrets". But I know that in the end it's worth it because it allowed me to focus on more important things: studying, which landed me a great phd project with complete funding, sports, where I went from being completely out of shape to becoming a competitive cyclist, and the list goes on.

If you're happy that you made those sacrifices for a good reason then chicks come second!! You'll have plenty of time to catch up on that later in your life when you're a successful businessman and women are throwing themselves at you but your buddies are all overweight, depressed, and riding out the next financial crunch on their mother's couch. Or something to that effect...
what uni?

blueline

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, you said it right, starplayer: short term pleasure=long term pain. I spent the last year trying to regain what I lost in college and I wasted the ENTIRE thing chasing women. Sure, I got lots of makeouts, lots of sex, did lots of drugs, and I'm banging out a hot 19 year old right now, but it was NOT worth it. I wish I just studied for the GRE's last fall so I could attend grad school this coming fall, but instead, I waited until march, which was waaay past the application deadlines. I got the GRE score I wanted, though.

Sooo, now I'm stuck ANOTHER year with a sh*t job, deteriorating away. I'm gonna be 27-28 years old when I finish grad school at this rate. My entire twenties, down the drain.

Falcon25

Banned
Reaction score
It's okay bro,

I'm studying GRE's right now. I partied and did everything but it got me nowhere. You will see that once you hit early thirties, it's all about cash and career. You will have a lot of fun, just get into the career. I didn't study for my GRE's and now I miss one more year of PhD programs. Sucks. But just work and make money in the meantime.