A question for the Zoomers - how easy it to find a good job?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Gen-X, GeoMaxxing a33 is not interesting in working - not that anyone would hire an old fart :mad: - but I was wondering how easy it is today to find a good job.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Gen-X, GeoMaxxing a33 is not interesting in working - not that anyone would hire an old fart :mad: - but I was wondering how easy it is today to find a good job.
So many variable on industry, age, skill set, location and relationships. Assuming you are talking about yourself, what is your bio on what i listed

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So many variable on industry, age, skill set, location and relationships. Assuming you are talking about yourself, what is your bio on what i listed
I am not talking about myself. I am obsolete & unemployable. :mad:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Impossible to answer. Would be like asking how easy is it to lose weight without knowing what you are eating, current weight, current workouts, etc.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Gen-X, GeoMaxxing a33 is not interesting in working - not that anyone would hire an old fart :mad: -
I am obsolete & unemployable. :mad:
Enjoy early retirement! You are an early Gen X'er so you're in your late 50s. Late 50s is a good age to start retirement. I've heard of childless guys in the United States retiring around 55 because they didn't spend their 30s and 40s having the expenses of raising 1-3 children.

I was wondering how easy it is today to find a good job.
I'm an early Millennial who has been in the workforce since my mid-2000s completion of a bachelor's degree. There's never been an easy time post mid-2000s to get a job. I happened to find myself job searching during the Great Recession in the late 2000s and I was a pandemic layoff in 2020. Job searching in the late 2000s was absolutely brutal. The macroeconomic environment was horrible and I was early in my career. That means I didn't have too much work experience at that time so I had it worse at that time than a mid-career professional with 10-20 years of work experience.

In 2020, The Atlantic called Millennials a "lost generation". This article seemed more focused on the early to mid 1980s births like myself.

In 2023, the oldest Gen Z/Zoomers are 26 years old. Right now, the first 1/3rd to 1/2 of Zoomers are in the workforce or just about to enter it.

I don't think Gen Z is having that great of a time with getting decent jobs either.

Boomers got most of the privilege and Generation X got the last vestiges of it. Gen Y/Millennials and Gen Z/Zoomers got the garbage.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You sound like a perfect candidate for a government job. Do you have references to back up those claims?
The last 2 gigs I had gotten (software) were restricted to citizens (defense work) - places that didn't need citizens were loaded with H1B Indians. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

BoomToTheMoonAlice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The last 2 gigs I had gotten (software) were restricted to citizens (defense work) - places that didn't need citizens were loaded with H1B Indians. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Not that you want to work but if you did, there are a lot of well-paid jobs around the world for comp sci teachers.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not that you want to work but if you did, there are a lot of well-paid jobs around the world for comp sci teachers.
Maybe for folks who have the PhD and experience teaching. I don't even have a degree in Comp Sci (it's in a different STEM field).

Last edited:

BoomToTheMoonAlice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe for folks who have the PhD and experience teaching. I don't even have a degree in Comp Sci (it's in a different STEM field).
That's enough. Doesn't need to be in comp sci as long as you can code. All STEM fields are hiring teachers at the moment (in all countries).

My degree is in nonsense and wasted time but as long as it's notarized and I have the skills to show, most people don't care. The degree just gets you past customs.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You're mad they wouldn't hire someone who "don't even have a degree in Comp Sci" [1] for a Comp Sci job?

[1]