your thoughts on Windows 8

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Mine are what a crap! First of version 6.2, I was expecting 7.x. Secondly it changes the whole experience. Now desktop is another app, and you are presented with a lineup of desktop apps, which don't run as regular windows application, but as something else entirely. It's equavalent of Apple combining MacOS with iOS. Total bull ****!

Prediction: 100% of **** Windows 8 has on it's new start screen is useless.

People spend most of their time in browser. Now if you don't use IE you have to launch desktop, and from there Firefox (or Opera, or Chrome).

Doing power stuff now takes more as well.

I don't see myself upgrading to Windows 8 when it's released, and God forbid I buy a PC with Windows 8, I'll be installing Windows 7 right away.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like they just took Windows Phone 7 and somehow decided it was a good idea to extend it to the desktop.

I liked Windows 7 a lot it was going in the complete right direction Windows needed to go and now they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

But I heard Windows 8 has a desktop mode so I guess I will be using that anyways..

women haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My Job is still on XP, best Windows operating system ever....

It seems like no other Windows Operating system has the longevity that XP had.

it's especially taxing on the IT professionals who are trying to stay up on Certs they keep releasing updates for windows so frequently..

those tests cost money

change11

Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
My Job is still on XP, best Windows operating system ever....

It seems like no other Windows Operating system has the longevity that XP had.

it's especially taxing on the IT professionals who are trying to stay up on Certs they keep releasing updates for windows so frequently..

those tests cost money
Hehe, when are you guys planning on upgrading XP?

My job is still using XP too, don't intend to upgrade our desktops to 7 for some time still. Too much of a learning curve, our users aren't very comfortable on computers and the completely different theme of 7 would be too much for them! Though I have spent some time playing around with 7.

I think 8 will come out and won't be used very much until it's required. Same kind of deal as now, Server 2008/Win 7 have been out for some time. But there are still a lot of companies using Server 2003/XP. Although they are starting to look into 2008 w/Hyper-V (Sounds like some of you may be IT pros? I would definitely suggest looking into visualization if your HW will allow it!) I'm using Hyper-V to virtualize all of my 2003 box's (about 5 servers per site, 3 different physical sites...many, many benefits have been realized through virtualization). Actually building my test box for hyper-v right now...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
XP, best Windows operating system ever....
No doubt. I had XP put on the home pc I had built for me in 2007. It's still going strong.

By comparison, most people I know who need a computer just go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and take what they have, which is always the latest craptacular version of Windows. 3-4 years later, their machine is so full of spyware, malware, and junk they don't need that it starts slowing down and crashing, so then they think it's broken and go buy another one at Wal-Mart.

The home pc is supposed to be a thing of the past, anyway. When everyone accesses the Internet over a tablet or phone, they'll just get a new device every two years when their contract is up. So maybe then there will be no need for an operating system that is built to slowly fail and make people buy new devices.

change11

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
So maybe then there will be no need for an operating system that is built to slowly fail and make people buy new devices.
That's not entirely to blame on the OS. Dell, HP...any of those companies load a lot of their own crap to the machines. A lot of those programs cause people problem. Then factor in people going online, click yes when they don't understand what they're doing....leads to a very bloated computer.

When my company orders a new computer (we use Dell) the first thing I do (as the IT guy) is blow the drive away and start with a fresh XP install, **** all the "tools" Dell installs...:rockon:

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
XP is not sold anymore, so unless you have an old corp license, it's a done deal, no XP anymore. Pretty much anything new you buy will have Windows 7 on it. Then when Windows 8 comes up, after a year or two you can expect everything new to come with Windows 8 on it.

Windows 8 will be main stream.

Problem with operating systems such as Linux is they are not straight forward. Vendors don't directly support anything other than Windows, and drivers you use are user made.

We have to work with Windows, unless we buy a Mac. And Windows 8 looks like a step in a wrong direction.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It looks like utter crap, but then again it's not finished. I'll wait and see what the finished version is like when the public beta or the RC is released. The Windows 7 public RC was brilliant and only got better on release.

The interface is... odd. I'm not sure where they're going with it. They seem to want to hit tablets but it's a desktop OS. I really hope they have a desktop OS version or the ability to turn that crap off. As far as under the hood apparently performance is even better than Windows 7 and takes advantage of multi core processors and solid state memory even better among other improvements.

The interface is going to make or break it. If they force the weird Metro 8 interface without user choice... it's going to be a problem.

Vice said:
Vista, however, was total garbage, and in my opinion, a flashy DOWNGRADE from XP.
Vista was excellent. I bought a decent high end computer that I'm still using with Windows 7. Slight performance increase from Windows 7 over Vista. The problem was that people were installing it on **** computers.

You realize that Windows 7 is just Vista 2.0 with the bugs ironed out. There were very few issues I had although driver support wasn't the best since it required different drivers than the old legacy Windows XP ones and all the accessory manufacturers were dragging their heels like usual.

The other major improvement that Vista had was very good 64 bit support which Windows XP didn't have. I thoroughly enjoyed using Photoshop CS4 on Vista because it can use extra memory and I can load more stuff on the screen and more layers.

Vista was pretty damn good. You just not have to be cheap and buy a decent computer with more than 1GB of ram and at least a dual core. This is why people don't have issues with Mac performance. Why? Because Apple won't sell you a turd computer. They sell you an average one with a high price, but never poor hardware under the hood so performance is always good.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use Ubuntu on my main computer at home and just have a netbook with 7 starter on it. I can't see this changing at the moment unless windows becomes a lot better. :up:

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
manish said:
windows 7 is good..but ubuntu is best...

windows always require all high end memory and processing power..
This is wrong. You can install Windows 7 on a netbook with 512mb of ram. It runs very well on my buddy's desktop with only 1GB of ram and an old Athlon Dual Core. The 3400 X2 I think, which by today's standards is pretty crap.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have not liked any version of windows since XP. I am very picky about my OS that i use. I still use XP on all three PC's i have. don't like windows 7 enough to upgrade. from what i see of 8 i will pass on that too.

Johnnyventana

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be die hard PC person. Built my own machines, etc. Started using a Mac 4 years ago for work and have been sold on OS X ever since.

It rocks.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For those interested, Windows 8 Preview is coming out on the 29th February. It's free to use and should run for 120 days as is. Like Windows 7 RC, it should be 90% done by that point (no support or updates though for the preview) and the full release is in the fall I think.

Let's see if it's any good.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
adamparker said:
I have not installed windows 8 in my pc but I have used it in friends PC. Installation process of windows 8 is easier and quiet similar to windows 7. It is developer edition. It is nice design and graphics. It has nice metro look of start menu like windows 9. I am going to use more features on windows 8 and accordingly I will share my thoughts on windows 8.
Please do. I'm not installing it myself because I don't really care. I'm buying a Windows 8 tablet anyways. The Metro part is really good apparently and well suited for a touch interface but they ****ed the desktop part of it... so I'll wait until some clever modders fix that to be more like Windows 7.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
f283000 said:
I do hope however to 1 day switch to Ubuntu. I tried it but for some reason it didn't run well it was an old pc maybe i set it up on.
I've been running Ubuntu since 2006. IMO, the high point with Ubuntu was v8.04. I've been hearing a lot of terrible things about the new Unity desktop, and I'm starting to think it may be time to move onto something slightly different. I keep hearing about how great Linux Mint is, and have yet to try it out. Apparently it's based on Ubuntu, so you still get all the software-filled repos.