WTF ?? Janitors make more than teachers

PoS

Don Juan
Reaction score
i just found out today that in our state, an average school janitor (who invested in 5 years in school district) makes more than certified teachers who has BA degrees. i dont know if i should just quit my college education and go work for school district. it is a government job too.. very secure. once u get in, basically you're in for life. u also get full benefits, paid holiday, u get sick/vacation time and whenever teachers get pay raise (this happens almost every year), u get 2% also. there are 100 differnt jobs in district that u can transfer, so u dont have to be stuck as custodian rest of your life.

what do u guys think? $32 grand a year sounds good to me. and u know how lazy those motherfukers are ... my high school was one of the dirtiest and we had like 10 janitors .. they never did anything

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my high school, they have a chart showing the average salaries of graduates.

The highest? Oil driller.

All you had to do was spend a few years in the middle of the South Pacific with a bunch of hairy men.

Its all about supply and demand. High demand and low supply means high pay.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
here in italy, a high school teacher gets 17.000$ a year, how can a janitor earn double than that?!?!
i bet an italian janitor makes no more than 14.000$ a year, which is perceived as higher than he needs

what is an average wage in america? what is considered higher than average? what rich?

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the UK teachers make like £21,000 (about $37,000) but it goes up as they get experince and if they are head of department and have lots of qualificatons etc they could get £30,000 (about $55,000)

Janitors here do not make much, on the other hand if you drive the truck collecting the rubish you also get a nice £30,000 or so.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
might pay more, but the job sucks tail. Janitors at my school get pushed around so much by school kids.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ya kids spit over evertying poo on everything, pick on janitors. No wonder they get paid more.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Engineers make the most right out of college with electrical leading the pack then petroleum then mechanical :D

It'll be nice making 50k when I'm 23 :D

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
All you had to do was spend a few years in the middle of the South Pacific with a bunch of hairy men.
There is a lot of work involved in that, It's not just sitting around with buch of guys playing cards.

TheDarkSaint

Don Juan
Reaction score
My janitors

As a teacher, I know my janitors work damn hard. Those guys are busting ass all day long in building, repairing, cleaning and making sure things run. I treat my janitor very very well :)

He may get paid a little more than me, but my benies are better as well as my retirement. I also get 3 months off in the summer and he has to work it. As a newer teacher, I think its a fair trade off.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The job of a janitor is usually messy and potentially unhealthy. So not many people are interested in this job. Supply & Demand, like another guy said. So, if no one applies for a janitor job, the boss has to increase the pay until someone shows up. I guess thats why janitors are now paid so much.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best job ever is, as mentioned, oildriller. I met one norwegian oildriller who worked at an oilrig in the middle of the ****ing nordic sea, at the airport and he was telling me about wages. He worked one month and got one month off, he was earning ~ 9000 US a month, even the month he didnt work, and got double pay every 3rd month. In addition he had full pension and ****loads of benefits.

Jake-inator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about that.. teachers at my old highschool made between $ 60-120K in American Dollars!!!
(This is a pretty rich suburban neighbourhood)

No Joke... my gym teacher made 110 K
I remeber because we used to check that stuff on theChampion.org or sumthin like that.

Besides would you really want to clean up after people your entire life? That's not my idea of a career.

Where did you get this data that an oil driller makes the most?
What about lawyer or doctor? I'm sure they make more than sum hairy guy who drills for oil.

Maybe the seismologist who find oil make that much. All the oil companies have been investing recently in finding new oil, as they are scared ****less that they're gonna run out soon.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, oh! Find ONE chick in the whole world who would be proud to announce that her man is a janitor!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jake-inator
Where did you get this data that an oil driller makes the most?
What about lawyer or doctor? I'm sure they make more than sum hairy guy who drills for oil.
Initially (ie. immediately after graduation) doctors and lawyers make very little. They only make big bucks much later (ie. when they're 40).

In Australia, a graduate doctor/lawyer makes around $40K after they get out of college.

Oil drillers make around $50-70K. Miners make around $60K.

PoS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by flyinshark
Oh, oh! Find ONE chick in the whole world who would be proud to announce that her man is a janitor!
she doesnt have to know. tell her u work for the school district :D