wrist problems when bench pressing

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was gonna do some bench pressing the other day at the gym and as I tried to lift the bar, my right hand where my palm ended and my wrist started, it felt like it was about to rip or something. It felt like I was about to rip that or something. What can I do to get a proper chest workout without this problem?

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would start by going to a doctor and having your carpal tunnel diagnosed. Then wear wrist braces to bed, take anti inflammatories for 2-3 weeks, and by then you'll be good to go.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
try holding the bar above the wrist. not over the fingers, but right above it.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ What he said

The bar should be as close to directly over the wrist as possible while still having your thumb on the other side to prevent slippage and death!

Go to the doctor and get it checked out. Take it easy on the weights in the meantime.

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
but i dont feel any carpel tunnel **** on my wrists. My movement with my wrist is not limited, it just feels bad when I decline bench press or something. I tried chest press machines and the like and I didnt have any problems.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donjuanjovi said:
The bar should be as close to directly over the wrist as possible while still having your thumb on the other side to prevent slippage and death!

Came alarmingly close to that a couple months ago!
As it was, I jammed my right wrist and bruised the hell outta my ribcage/pectoral area.

A lesson learned :confused:

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Allright dude, make a fist and look at it--there's a big meaty area where your thumb connects to your hand that's a little bit diagonal, that's where you want the bar to go. So when you get to the bar, rotate your hands out just a little so that the bar sits a little diagonally in your hands, across that meat, and keep your wrists straight, and you'll never have another problem.