Wireless internet basics?

NewDestiny47

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok i know nothing about computers and just want to know the basics of how to work with wireless internet. By this i mean A. I have DSL so being able to roam around the house without cables attached and B. I see people in class at my college online all the time... how does that work?

I already have a wireless card but I have NO clue how I got it to work, just got lucky and pressed the right buttons... I really want to know though in case I need to set it up again when I move and just to understand the process better

Basically I have DSL, and there is a box that says "power" "broadband link" and "local network" on it... im guessing that's what they call the router? It says "2wire" on it.
So in general, is that the box that sends the signal out? So, once you have a card installed on your computer, can you just go to school or anywhere and sign on to the internet?
My other problem is that my signal is only strong when im in the same room as that box (router?), if I go to another room at the other end of the house my signal is "very low" and keeps becoming unavailable... what is the cause of that? Is the card that i have not good enough?

Someone break this down for me, and don't use big words.

justinsane

Don Juan
Reaction score
NewDestiny47 said:
Ok i know nothing about computers and just want to know the basics of how to work with wireless internet. By this i mean A. I have DSL so being able to roam around the house without cables attached and B. I see people in class at my college online all the time... how does that work? They are all connected to the net by a router where depending how they are setup through their LAN configuration allows you to see the people on your network or your classmate in your case. There is more to it than this though.

I already have a wireless card but I have NO clue how I got it to work, just got lucky and pressed the right buttons... I really want to know though in case I need to set it up again when I move and just to understand the process betterRTFM :D Windows xp comes with its own Wireless detection program so when the wifi card is activated (depending on your hardware setup) it can detect the access points that are available around your area depending if WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) isn't on for accessiblity to the net. Better make sure you have it on or someone can get a free ride and may mess with your configuration (yours truly):p

Basically I have DSL, and there is a box that says "power" "broadband link" and "local network" on it... im guessing that's what they call the router? It says "2wire" on it.
So in general, is that the box that sends the signal out? So, once you have a card installed on your computer, can you just go to school or anywhere and sign on to the internet?
My other problem is that my signal is only strong when im in the same room as that box (router?), if I go to another room at the other end of the house my signal is "very low" and keeps becoming unavailable... what is the cause of that? Is the card that i have not good enough? Alot of things can affect it. You didn't state specifically how it is setup. (like it is nearby some sound equipment or very thick walls) Also you didn't mention the brand and type of card like linksys 802.11g 2.4 ghz

Someone break this down for me, and don't use big words.
HEh sorry if I broke that rule
Not to be smart but you can google or wiki your answer
and look up WLAN. Or pm me.

Hey where are all the computer geeks on this board anyway? Oh out pimping and mackin their skills at the DJ level. I need to do the same. Where's DON Rico when ya need him :crazy:

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
"power" "broadband link" and "local network"
This is the box supplied from your internet provider, otherwise known as a DSL Modem.

What you need is probably a Wireless G Router (G denotes the technological specification, where oldest = A, B, G, N = newest). Be sure the router supports at least a WPA encryption, thus so your network stays secure. This will run you, maybe $40, at your local Best Buy/Future Shop/Techy Wonderland.
----
Hook up a normal network cable from the Local Area Network port on the DSL modem to the Uplink/INet port on your new wireless router. Next, for ease of configuration, grab another cable and hook this up to Port 1 on you router to your computer.

Follow the instructions in your router's manual to set up your router, and feel free to hit the reset button on your router if you screw up horribily. (take notes if you have to).

Then, connect with your wireless card (no cable attached). PM me if you need help.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to Docs
It sounds like you don't actually have a router of your own just the cable modem. Your probably picking up a neighbor's signal and thats why it differs so greatly in signal at different areas of your house.