Why you must dress better...

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's been said a million times and must be again.

Dress better!

Do you realize how much time chicks spend getting dressed up? ALOT! Have you realized the incredible irony in this?

For the most part if a girl is attractive, guys don't care if she is in sweatpants or the greatest evening dress, they'll still go gaga for her. (Granted she does look the best all dolled up, but you know what I mean)

So the way you are dressed is so important to a girl. While a girl spends alot of time on her appearance, we don't care as much, but a girl does care more about how you dress.

The reason girls still date guys that are poor dressers is two fold 1) most guys dont' dress well so girls have to deal with the fact that the majority of guys are slobs (believe me I am a recovering slob)

2) Girls think they will eventually change a guy and get them to dress better (True in some cases but not normally the case)

To be honest, I used to think that dressing really nice was almost gay. I mean some guys would dress so flashy it looked gay to me.

But then when I started dressing flashier, I got a great response. In fact, sorry to say, I must dress nice to get this response most of the time otherwise I'm somewhat invisible to them.

Case in point, the other day I went to the gym straight from work, dressed very nicely. I got more hellos than ever before. On the way out, a girl that goes there who normally pretty much ignores me gave me a hello then she proceeded to look up and down my body. It was blatant! (And I LOVED IT).

Everybody on here looks for a quick fix. If you change one thing first, get better clothes.

I've worked out for years, that helped (when my shirt was off!), but nothing made a more dramatic impact than dressing better.

Enlist a girl with good taste now! Whether a friend or department store clerk. Trust your own taste too, just dress nicer and you will be going in the right direction!

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the process of updating my wardrobe but on a university student's budget it ain't easy. Thanks for the tip though.

C

Chad5446

ok, that sounds really great, but how does one dress better on a college students income? I just dont have the cash to lay down 50 dollars for an abercrombie t-shirt.

Track_Star

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chad5446
ok, that sounds really great, but how does one dress better on a college students income? I just dont have the cash to lay down 50 dollars for an abercrombie t-shirt.
Abercrombie isn't dressing nice dude, thats what 13 year olds wear to "fit in" in 8th grade. Pick up a GQ or something, most of their outfits can be replicated in a department store for a reasonable cost.

Ballistic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dressing well gets you noticed, believe me.

I usually dress decent (khakis, polo shirt) on regular class days at my university, and I rarely get looks or smiles, but I noticed one thing:

I've had to dress in full business attire (read: Double-breasted suit, shirt, and tie) for briefings I've had to do in class. I walk around all day like that, and I get looks, smiles, and stares. I love it.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As it's been mentioned before, DRESS FOR YOUR TARGET MARKET. Dress to attract the sort of girl you're into. Dress to express your personality. The most basic rule is making sure your clothes are of proper fit and size. The safest thing if you're poor like me to is to buy lots of basic, simple clothes that will never go out of style and eccentuate those with a few items that stand out. The last few pieces of clothing I've boughten:

Practical/Basic: Hooded grey sweater, blue jeans, a black wool overcoat.

Stylish/Attention-Getting Items: Newsboy cap (if you've got a nice jawline girls love these things, trust me), white Reebok shoes (white shoes on guys seem to be in this summer).

leoncour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an important topic, and it's something that I have been struggling with. What are the best brands or stores to buy from for a casual look? Best prices? I live in Cali if that makes a difference. I think there is a post on this website somewhere about this but I can't find it.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check out Urban Outfitters. I'm pretty sure they have a lot of stores in Cali. Their stuff is great if you're going for a laid-back cool look and it's not too expensive either. I think their website is urbanoutfitters.com

Sir Shags Alot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
it all depends on your style, I usually just wear a black t-shirt, some designer jeans and some black shoes....works fine for me! I have gone though the entire dress nice deal, and if it isn't you, it won't work!

leoncour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by alboh
Check out Urban Outfitters. I'm pretty sure they have a lot of stores in Cali. Their stuff is great if you're going for a laid-back cool look and it's not too expensive either. I think their website is urbanoutfitters.com
Cool! Thanks man.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glad to help :)

ZeeOwl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah.

This is a concept us guys have been resisting for far too long. And so true. Girls DO pay attention to clothes, and especially shoes.

And I'm part of the guilty majority. Gonna have to get around to doing something about, some day. (grumbles off into the distance) :D

leoncour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Also I'd like to recommend LL Bean and Lands End. Very nice clothes for a reasonable price.

marqZAL

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Salvation Army and thirft stores are great place to shop if your broke, you can go in with 100 dollars and walk out with tons of cool stuff. The key is to find one style and stick with it.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most importantly be happy with your new style.

The most important change it will bring out is your body language. When you are dressing better, you walk more proudly and smile.

I always feel great when I know I'm dressed well. The same way I feel great after I come back from a vacation with a nice tan and a ton of great stories to tell!

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Agreed - I've gone to social functions that required wearing a suit and tie and have gone out clubbing in the same attire afterwards and have gotten much more attention from the ladies.

Not that you have to go out in a suit and tie, but dressing nicely does make a difference.

I'm on a tight budget as well and have found some good clothing buys on eBay.

Who cares if its slightly used if its 20% of the original cost?