Who is ready to die?

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday I was 16, then 17, 18, then 19, then 20. Tomorrow im starting my senior year in college. Next year I will be working full time doing who knows what. I live in the moment and enjoy the little things but time keeps marching forward toward death. I know I probably have (a lot of) time left but I hate thinking about my past memories and experiences. I feel jealous thinking about my younger self and I knowing there is nothing I can do to slow my aging.

Who else feels similar? Does anyone really feel at peace about being "done" with living? I'm looking for new ways to see death. I feel like most people just push it out of their mind 99% of the time. The only time they think about it is when family or friends die, creating awkward and uncomfortable feelings about mortality that they try to quickly forget. Please no religious stuff, I am a firm believer of biological death being the end of your existence.

Reaction score
Well I was always told I would never make it to 18....So now I am just living bonus years WOOT!!!

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
There is a toast that goes let the childhood be short, and adulthood long and interesting. You're just a wipe ass upset about your childhood being over. A lot is ahead.

U

user43770

I have come to terms with it. By that, I mean the thought doesn't scare me any more. I found peace by recognizing how insignificant I am, but not in a religious way. I understand that I came from the earth and that I'm going back to it. I'm just happy to be here now. I also see no point in thinking about it if I don't have to.

Dedication

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think i'm worthless to the bone, just like everybody else. At times, i think and talk about death. Maybe because i don't do anything better with my life. When i think about my past self i think about a child that doesn't know any better, i could say i'm jelous because that guy had nothing to fear and lived in bliss. i know that he didn't live that way, my memories of my younger self are vague and shrouded.

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're at peace with God you will be at peace with death.

Last edited:

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you asked me this question a year ago, I would of said yes. I lived a pretty crazy lifestyle that involved drugs/alcohol, violence, promiscuity/unprotected sex, criminal behavior, and taking a lot of dumb risks that I shouldn't have. From an outsider, it probably looked like I had a death-wish.

Now that I have a kid on the way, my world has flipped upside down. Did I subconsciously TRY to get my girlfriend prego? Maybe. All I know is that I'm a lot happier now, and feel like I have something to live for.

-Scars

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Psycho Sexy said:
Yesterday I was 16, then 17, 18, then 19, then 20. Tomorrow im starting my senior year in college. Next year I will be working full time doing who knows what. I live in the moment and enjoy the little things but time keeps marching forward toward death. I know I probably have (a lot of) time left but I hate thinking about my past memories and experiences. I feel jealous thinking about my younger self and I knowing there is nothing I can do to slow my aging.

Who else feels similar? Does anyone really feel at peace about being "done" with living? I'm looking for new ways to see death. I feel like most people just push it out of their mind 99% of the time. The only time they think about it is when family or friends die, creating awkward and uncomfortable feelings about mortality that they try to quickly forget. Please no religious stuff, I am a firm believer of biological death being the end of your existence.
I believe Roissy (I may be mistaken) had an article about how we as a society don't see death anymore. Older people are pretty much absent from culture. When our parents get old, we will shove them into a nursing home so we don't have to watch them die slowly. Roissy made the point that nurses who interact with these old patients every day understand how short life is and how death is, and therefore have a greater appreciation for life.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nurses who interact with these old patients every day understand how short life is and how death is, and therefore have a greater appreciation for life.

Yes, absolutely. Hospice workers, too. They tend to be very at peace with the concept of death. If you ever are in the place to be caring for a dying relative yourself; it will do the same for you.

My grandmother died about a week after the last post on this thread:
www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159515
Whatever she died from, it wasn't a lack of strawberry ice cream.

My other set of grandparents are both still alive, but in their 80's. They have a small farm that has fallen into disrepair as they got too old to keep it up. I am trying to build it back right now. I read a short story as a kid about a Navaho family, where the grandmother told a child that when the family's current rug they were weaving was finished, her time on this Earth would be finished and she would pass away. So every night the child snuck out of her bed and un-wove a little of the rug, so as to make Grandma live longer. I keep thinking, that's what I'm doing with this farm. It's my concept of their life. If it keeps living, then they won't die.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
My other set of grandparents are both still alive, but in their 80's. They have a small farm that has fallen into disrepair as they got too old to keep it up. I am trying to build it back right now. I read a short story as a kid about a Navaho family, where the grandmother told a child that when the family's current rug they were weaving was finished, her time on this Earth would be finished and she would pass away. So every night the child snuck out of her bed and un-wove a little of the rug, so as to make Grandma live longer. I keep thinking, that's what I'm doing with this farm. It's my concept of their life. If it keeps living, then they won't die.
' :)

On a more theoretic or scientific point, I've read about how people tend to die quickly when they lose their purpose, such examples including turning 100, stop working, and losing family.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. My grandpa has early Alzheimer's and my grandma has had bowel cancer. Her body is failing as his mind fails. She has learned that if she makes him do work every day around the farm, he will show almost zero signs of Alzheimer's, other than just passive forgetfulness. But when the weather is bad, and he just sits around, the Alzheimer's is ten times worse. He's angry and yelling all the time, because he's mad about not knowing what's going on. She can't leave him alone; if she's gone ten minutes, it seems like ten hours to him and he yells at her for abandoning him.

I am reading that Grandma is actually leading the scientific community in treating Alzheimers. Research is now showing that activity level and completing daily tasks that require focus are the best way to treat the disease. I would guess it's the same for all very elderly people who want to keep living. Focus and purpose are necessary parts of life.

change11

Don Juan
Reaction score
Chief Tecumseh said:
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view,
and demand that they respect yours.

Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
even a stranger, when in a lonely place.

Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.

If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled
with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep
and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in ages, but this topic actually crosses my mind often. I used to be religious. I am now agnostic about afterlife, leaning toward atheist. I think in all likelihood this is all there is and that there probably is nothing called an eternal soul, though I could be wrong(and hope I'm wrong).

I've actually become less comfortable with the idea of death since shedding religious thought and becoming a skeptic. It actually freaks me out to think that my essence and my consciousness only exists inside my skull and when I pass away, my self-awareness will never exists again. I can't imagine what it means to not exist. You think about your life and your memories and then you think about what it means to not exist anymore in any way shape or form. The universe is 14 billion years old and I have no conscious recollection of anything before I was a couple years old. And after I die, the universe will continue on for maybe an eternity and I will be completely unaware of it and will simply not exist as a conscious observer of anything. The more I think about it, the more it spooks me out.

What is that moment like where you die? I'm guessing it's a lot like being put under general anesthetic. You get that needle in your arm and for that period of time you're under, you basically don't exist. It's not like being in normal sleep where you dream and you sense a passage of time. It's like the hour you were under just didn't exist. Like someone hitting pause on a tape recorder and then restarting it an hour later. Except in death, nobody ever hits the play button again. When I recently had a procedure where I had to be put under, I started getting scared, thinking "what if I have some reaction to this anesthesia and it kills me? What if I didn't wake up? This could be the last thing I ever see before my essence and self-awareness is wiped from the universe for eternity, everything I am will be gone forever." It did truly scare me. I am not a peace with death. It makes you value your life more, but it does not make me feel better.

Maybe in the distant future, natural death will be eliminated and before we die we will be able to "upload" our brains or consciousness into clone bodies that we grow in a lab. Who knows.

P

perseverance

Death doesn't concern me or scare me in the slightest. In fact when it comes around I will welcome it, we've all got to go sometime and I'd rather just focus on enjoying life to the best of my abilities and then when that time comes, I'll slip away into a nice, long slumber.

I actually see a great sense of peace in death, death is final and when you're gone, that is when you are truly at one with yourself.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a student paramedic and working as a firefighter/EMT I see people die every once in a while. As selfish as it is, it doesn't bother me thinking about them because it wasn't me dying. I get to go home at the end of the day while they get transported to the morgue to lay lifeless on a table. They will never open their eyes again.

I just wonder what kind of amazing things I will miss out on. In the past 100 years our technology has grown by leaps and bounds and its not going to stop anytime soon. Who knows what kind of world it will be in 150 or 200 years.

speakeasy you pretty much summed up how I feel about it. Lots of other interesting posts. Im glad this topic got some attention.
speakeasy said:
I've actually become less comfortable with the idea of death since shedding religious thought and becoming a skeptic. It actually freaks me out to think that my essence and my consciousness only exists inside my skull and when I pass away, my self-awareness will never exists again. I can't imagine what it means to not exist. You think about your life and your memories and then you think about what it means to not exist anymore in any way shape or form. The universe is 14 billion years old and I have no conscious recollection of anything before I was a couple years old. And after I die, the universe will continue on for maybe an eternity and I will be completely unaware of it and will simply not exist as a conscious observer of anything. The more I think about it, the more it spooks me out.

Sir Psycho Sexy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
I believe Roissy (I may be mistaken) had an article about how we as a society don't see death anymore. Older people are pretty much absent from culture. When our parents get old, we will shove them into a nursing home so we don't have to watch them die slowly. Roissy made the point that nurses who interact with these old patients every day understand how short life is and how death is, and therefore have a greater appreciation for life.
Im often told by elderly patients to never get old. They always have a smile when they say it but they cant hide the sadness in their face. I know that just fifty short years ago they were my age chasing women and drinking with their buddies.

And im sorry to hear about the Alzheimer's BB, its a terrible disease.

U

user43770

Psycho, I'm also an EMT. Now that I think about it, my peace with death has actually come since I started this job about a year ago. I guess it could be because of all the dead people I've seen. I don't know. I also read The Power of Now in that time, which I would highly recommend (actually just the first half of it).

U

user43770

I loved the book The Power of Now, but that is primarily because it opened my eyes to the world of Zen and spiritual enlightenment. These ideas aren't new, and they aren't exactly religious; they mainly focus on living in the present. You can't be happy if you're living in the past or the future. The past always seems better than it really was and we always forecast the future to be worse than it will be. Worrying about death is a futile endeavor. Any time spent thinking about death is time wasted.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I have a difficult time getting my thoughts on paper.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think we're living somewhere towards the end of the best time to have ever lived. Despite what the news says, violence is at a record low, life spans are longer than ever, infant mortality rates are at record lows, all the information in the word is accessible, and so many things are possible that would have been laughed at not long ago.

However, all good things come to an end and our technology will come at a cost to us. Look up Karl Sagan and the concept of Technological Adolescence and then singularity if you want to sound super smart in front of chicks if these are smart chicks. (If they are normal, just talk about Human-Interest Stories). The future looks horrifying. I'm not sure I even want to be there.

Basically, whether you are an evangelical Christian or old-school Catholic or something, or you're the most scientific, logical atheist and a follower of the Church of Richard Dawkins, the point of life is basically a bunch of selfish genes seeking to replicate themselves, and despite the advances in technology, its possibly harder to do it correctly these days than ever.

Think about how much better it was for men circa 1950.

You're 18 graduating from high school. You have all the education you need, only 1/10 of people have a college degree and degrees don't matter yet anyway. You get a job after high school at the town mill or whatever and they take care of you your whole life, it pays pretty well even if its blue collar when you consider inflation and the fact that gas costs 10 cents a gallon or something like that. You soon marry your high school sweet heart, your kids look just like you, you can afford to live on your own, and she's faithful because Western Culture hasn't ended yet. Even if she isn't a perfect ten, because she's young and not everyone is morbidly obese yet, she's still probably hotter than most women her age now (no chemicals and Frankenstein science needed for her). Every day you get home from work your loving family is there and your wife has your favorite dinner ready for you. No matter what happens at work, your children give you a hero's welcome every single day. The next day your lunch is made for you by your wife in a metal lunch pale made in America by American workers (assuming you're American) and your loving wife kisses you goodbye.

Nowadays, you graduate high school and if you're considered lucky, your decadent baby boomer parents whose generation ruined Western Civilization with their disregard for delayed gratification could pay your college for you. If you don't go to college or get a certification in something or technical school, you live a life of scanning bar codes at retail or living in the nocturnal parallel universe of restaurant jobs (because this is a "service" economy). If they don't, you go into thousands and thousands of dollars worth of debt, even if you graduate in four years. If you get bad teachers, change your major, or you just drink and play computer games the whole time, you take more than 4 years. When you get out, you find there aren't any jobs out there because the economy sucks (because the enlightened, bleeding heart baby boomer generation elected retarded people in the 1990s who decided to basically give away free houses to over-leveraged people who couldn't pay for them (because lenders were being discriminatory it was said (both parties forced them to lend), thus ruining the economy by 2007-2009 when the problem metastasized). Also upon leaving college, you find that your bachelor's is just the new GED. Despite what our Dear Leader president says about everyone needing a college degree, if everyone has one ITS WORTHLESS. Just like how printing your way out of a depression makes that money WORTHLESS. Basically, you either don't graduate high school these days or you have at least a bachelor's. If you don't have experience at even the lowliest of jobs, you won't get hired. You have to know someone to get a job. Basically, to get a job, you have to be the fvcking person who just left the position. Since you can't get a job, you can't pay your loans back, and bankruptcy doesn't clear the debt. You move in with your parent(s) and end up competing with high schoolers to work at the movie theater or something so your parents will shut up about not trying a job. Try being an un/underemployed DJ then...

Even if you have an awesome job with benefits, prestige, money, a nice parking place, you can basically afford a woman, and even if your wife isn't an over-weight ***** who'd rather import children from 3rd world countries than to be a woman and make them herself, if she wants them at all, is cheating on your with people at her job, your best friend, your brother, someone. That job could also be replaced by a machine; computer, sent to our buddy, Red China (life is even better there for their men, with all of their women murdered as babies or sent elsewhere); someone else at a computer in India; or taken by a newcomer from Latin America (if you live in Europe, replace Latin America with the Middle East/Africa) [politicians let newcomers come to countries, even though the people already there are having a hard time finding work (even if those jobs suck?!)].

I've rambled a lot and from reading a lot of stuff here, I know I'm not alone in thinking this. In short, the good old days are over. All we have left is to wait for singularity and for the Affordable Care Act to implant us with microchips.

Enjoy what you can, attempt to be cool to people, your favorite sports team will play and you can experience masculinity you never know when you're gonna have a scholarship or a bench named after you and someone else is using your organs. Life is about reproduction and humanity seems to be reaching the end of its baby production possibility frontier anyway.

Actually, life isn't really meant to be enjoyed in the first place. Maybe it was an accidental soup of chemicals, amino acids, and a bolt of lightning that caused our first germ great^100000 grandfather/mother to be. Maybe we were seeded by aliens. Maybe God made us. Anyway, if you're enjoying life, you're either lazy or living at someone else's expense, and are just contributing to the only real destiny of all: using converting energy into entropy. Usually, in their minds, even the most devout of atheists won't just kill themselves if they're unhappy and death is supposed to just be a sleep anyway (everyone loves nap time!).

I've been out of college and am trying to find work, my living friends all have work and serious girlfriends and when that happens, you don't need friends anymore. Friends are for people age 5-25, if you are older than 25 and have tons of friend, you're probably a childish baby boomer. My days of drinking, merry-making, and believing in having a future are over. C'mon Friday, December 21st, 2012!

Happy Labor Day everyone! :woo:

U

user43770

Maeisgood said:
I've been out of college and am trying to find work, my living friends all have work and serious girlfriends and when that happens, you don't need friends anymore. Friends are for people age 5-25, if you are older than 25 and have tons of friend, you're probably a childish baby boomer. My days of drinking, merry-making, and believing in having a future are over. C'mon Friday, December 21st, 2012!

Happy Labor Day everyone! :woo:

What is the source of your negativity?