When you realize you've been thinking too much about this stuff

R

Rubato

I've been noticing that my knee jerk reaction to otherwise "normal" words is becoming tainted with this pickup related lingo. This is what I mean.

Promoter
This is not the guy who gets you VIP and drink pass hookups, its a region on DNA

A1, A2, A3
This is not part of the Mystery Method, it's the sign outside of the first doors in the A-wing of my campus

Calibration
This has nothing to do with being "in state" but is a reference to whether or not a blood pressure cuff is reading accurately.

Set
This is not a group of girls or people, it's the collection of of tools you use in a dissection.

AFC
Not Average Frustrated Chump but the American Football Conference

ASD
Not Anti-Slut Defense but a heart defect called Atrial Septal Defect

Investment
Has nothing to do with how much someone has put in to a relationship, more like how much someone has put in to their course or career... or the stock market.

Pivot
This is not your lady friend that helps you pick up chicks, but a portion of the dissection board.

Qualification
This is not a vetting method for a potential suitor but a determination as to whether you should be able to take a higher course (I finished 101, therefore I am qualified to take 102).

BT
Not buying temperature but a bacterium called Baclillus Thuringiensis. Very useful in transgenic plant development.

FTC
Not a false time constraint... Federal Trade Commission anyone? Anyone??

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Do you guys see what would otherwise be normal words and have a knee jerk pickup response to them?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
CB = Not a c@ckblock but a 40 channel walkie talkie radio from the 70s

B1, B2 = intermediate proficiency in a foreign language

C1, C2 = at or near working fluency in a foreign language

IOD = birth control device from the 70s

frame = rough construction from lumber

wingman = pilot buddy who dies in Top Gunn

R

Rubato

Beta
Not a less than alpha man, but a failed competitor to the VHS

BS
Not a b1tch shield, a bachelor's of science.

Target
That thing I shoot at the range with my rifle.

Routine
Forget canned lines, these are memorized patterns in ballroom dance, martial arts, and other disciplines.

DJ
They spin records rather than plates.

EV
The pro-audio manufacturer Electro-voice doesn't give a crap about your values.

Flake
Dandruff anyone?

R

Rubato

Let's not forget A2 and A3 are also integral parts of Spermatocytogenesis!