What weight should I aim for?

Deadly_Assassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 5.8 ( 171cm ), and about 3-4 weeks ago, I weighed about 138lbs. Right now I am about 147lbs. I have been focusing really hard on my eating and training so I am actually gaining some weight, but I am still not there yet. I am aiming for about 185lbs, but a few ppl have told me I would look too big around that weight for my height. What do you guys think?

Also, what the best time during the day to work out? I usually working out in the afternoon.

This is my diet plan:

Breakfast:
2-3 egg whites and 1 yellow part
2 pieces of toast

Brunch:
Yoghurt or bananas or kiwi fruit

Lunch:
Subway, but sometimes I can be a retard and eat at Mcds or BK

1 hr before gym:
Protein shake ( with banana and ice cream )
creatine

Straight after workout:
Protein shake ( with banana and ice cream )

45 mins after workout ( Usually dinner time ):
Some solid food, mostly this ends up being subway, or mcds again ( I know, I gotta learn to cook but I am just too lazy to cook 3-4 times a day)

3-4 hrs later:
Yoghurt or fruits

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
9 lbs in 4 weeks :eek:. I am just a bit taller than you (175cm) and I weigh abt 174 lbs or so. Any less and I would look too skinny. So ya I80 or 185lbs sounds pretty good.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry so much about the NUMBER aspect of it Gain weight until you feel that you're at a respectable size. You'd be suprised at how long it'll take you. Then, when you reach that size, lower your reps so that you're doing probably around 3-5 reps for your major exercises (squats, deads, bench) and about 4-6 for your "assistance" exercises. You'll still gain some size, but it won't be as much hypertrophy. Instead you'll be gaining a lot of strength, but minimal size.

Don't quote me on it though...

Deadly_Assassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have really small bones, I wish there was a way to fix it.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im 5'8" also and my goal is near 200 lbs. My dad thinks Im crazy when I tell him I want to be 200lbs with abs but I dont care. My goal weight within 2 years is 205 @ 9% bf. Who cares if I look big? I want to and I think I will be DAMN sexy!

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I'm 5'10, 110 lbs. I always wondered this. I've seen tons of people 150 that look incredible, and 160 that look skinny. I guess it depends.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5'10 and 110 is patheticall skinny.

I weigh 150 and many people are suprised, saying I look "at least 170". It's all about muscle tone I guess.

Deadly Assassin: Techinically there is a way to "increase your bone size" although it's not going to happen that quickly. Weightlifting and being "natural" (no steriods) causes your body to gradually densify, and sometimes increase your bone size to compensate for the added stress on them. You're wrist isn't going to go from 6" to 8" in a few months, but they will grow thicker eventually.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brain202... at 5'8" - 205 at 9% ...u'd look freaky... too freaky for most girls! If you manage to hit that though, you'd be stupid not to compete!

I think weight is probably the most over-rated thing to aim for in fitness when you are training non-competitively for aesthetics. It does give an indication of progress, but I think the mirror is the most important assessment tool when training for aesthetics. Weight is important in sports and fitness/bodybuilding comps when you gotta make a certain weight class, etc...but for looks, think about it...girls don't walk around with scales and calipers and they're not like "Oh, i can't go out with him...he's over 14% bodyfat and under 190 lbs!" ... if you're doing this for looks train to put on lean muscle and stay lean...

I'm an exotic entertainer and image/looks are a HUGE part of the biz...and i find that being lean is probably the most important thing when it comes to aesthetics. I'm not a big dude...5'8"-170-175...but on the street all i gotta do is wear a tanktop and I easily turn heads simply because I'm lean, and it makes me look bigger than I am. Another thing w/ aesthetics that many guys neglect is waxing/shaving and tanning. Those two simple things can seriously make you look waaay better, especially if you're relatively lean already.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Another thing w/ aesthetics that many guys neglect is waxing/shaving and tanning.
Don't forget the attractiveness of the limp wrist and a finely tuned lisp.

And i will not get myself skin cancer just so some girl can ogle my damaged skin (tan).

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tan and would shave if it weren't for football season.

Helps with the acne, and I def look leaner. Besides, our ancestors were in the sun besically all day. I don't think I'm going to get skin cancer or whatever, but if I do, so be it. I'm here to enjoy life.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
I tan and would shave if it weren't for football season.

Helps with the acne, and I def look leaner. Besides, our ancestors were in the sun besically all day. I don't think I'm going to get skin cancer or whatever, but if I do, so be it. I'm here to enjoy life.
Amen, brother. Redheads need to worry, not the austrian (german), black, Indian, native american-blooded... etc.

Asians don't count simply because most of their population is malnutritioned, anyway.

But the only people I've ever heard complain about the sun in the states are the ones with redhead albino skin, tbph.