What to do when at a bar or club during downtime?

faeyt

Don Juan
Reaction score
I mean when you're not talking to girls and you're alone.

I went to a bar/club last night for the sake of getting drunk cheap ($2.50 shots and beers) and I realized that I was just standing around, probably looked like a loser.

When you're not talking to a girl, what're some things you can be doing to not look bad? I saw one guy talking to a bouncer, but when I walked up to a bouncer and asked how he was doing he flat out yelled "NO" and looked away. Rude.

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
most bouncers are gay as hell man...i would like to beat the **** out of all of them for real...or hold a gun to them while kicking their rib cages in....they are all wanna be cage fighters who get big heads over nothing....

don't worry about what you are doing...make convo with other guys there and such and dance..who cares what they think

TheException

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive only gone to a bar once by myself, but surprisingly it wasnt bad at all. I got a stool at the bar and immediately ordered a drink(made sure to tip so as it got busy, the one bartender always hooked me up). Talked to the people around me(1 guy and his gf/ 1 foreign guy) and just made fun light hearted conversation all night. I wasnt even in the mood to talk to anyone(was just trying to get drunk) but by nature i just did.....was kinda good not going up to chicks....but who knows maybe i missed out on talking to my future ex girlfriend because i didnt approach anyone :nervous:

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
If you go alone, try to arrive early enough to get a bar stool. It's much more comfortable than standing and holding your drink.

Of course, many clubs are standing only and don't have a place to sit.

Either way, talk to bartenders and/or other people at the bar.

Forget talking to bouncers. I never met a cool friendly one. Most are d I cks. Unless you're a chick, they don't want to talk to you.

I've met cool doormen, bartenders, and some ok table waitresses. Never a bouncer. But even this was ONLY after becoming a regular over an extended period of time.

Defintely become a regular at your favorite place if you want staff to talk to you.

faeyt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mauser96 said:
You went to a bar, by yourself, to get drunk on the cheap?

Why wouldn't you just have a few drinks at home?
I had gotten to the town my university is in late, and there was nowhere to buy alcohol (Ontario - if LCBO is closed, you're out of luck on getting drunk at home).

plate's_empty

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
If you go alone, try to arrive early enough to get a bar stool. It's much more comfortable than standing and holding your drink.

Of course, many clubs are standing only and don't have a place to sit.

Either way, talk to bartenders and/or other people at the bar.

Forget talking to bouncers. I never met a cool friendly one. Most are d I cks. Unless you're a chick, they don't want to talk to you.

I've met cool doormen, bartenders, and some ok table waitresses. Never a bouncer. But even this was ONLY after becoming a regular over an extended period of time.

Defintely become a regular at your favorite place if you want staff to talk to you.
Pretty much this^^^^ There's a thread around here somewhere discussing going out to bars alone.

The bar is your friend, take a seat. The bartenders will usually make small talk with you if it's not too busy. But since you're alone you have an excuse to talk to random people....including girls. Plant yourself on the stool, that's usually where the singles sit. Groups of people usually grab a table. There will be others in your situation that will want to talk. That's why they're not drinking at home....

So feel free to chime in on others conversations. It's pretty much expected when sitting at a bar. As long as you're contributing something and not being annoying you'll be alright.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
You go there with a purpose other than to get drunk (which lowers your chances, offering a diminishing return as time elapses). You could play pool or darts, you can draw if you're an artist, you can read or work on paper. If you go to a nice restaurant with a bar and sit on the corner then you will likely come within earshot of an attractive lady during the course of dinner.

If you do it right, women will approach you. And if a waitress likes you then you'll notice every girl in the place will strut by, making eye contact and smiling (they are talking about you in back).