What do you think about 3-day splits?

Evzone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been following a 3-day split routine very similar to DIESEL's guide, and I've seen some good results, better as I have improved my diet. I've been noticing though on forums that 2-day splits or programs where people squat every lifting day (3 times per week) seem to be becoming more popular. I'm getting results from what I'm doing...slowly. I know part of it is my diet, and I've hit a rough patch financially so I can't gorge on food like I used to (broke recent graduate), but I do what I can.

My routine:
Monday- Upper body
DB Bench press, 1 warmup set, then 3 work sets
DB Incline press, 2 work sets
DB Military (shoulder) press, 2 work sets
Dips, 2 sets of 10
Captain's chairs, 2 sets of 20

Wendesday- Back
Deadlifts, 1 warmup set, then 3 work sets
Pullups, 3 sets...I suck at pullups but I'm trying to get better
Seated cable rows, 3 sets

Friday- Legs
Squats, 2 warmup sets (135 x 1 x 8 then 225 x 1 x 8), then 4 work sets
Machine leg curls, 3 sets
Seated calf raises, 2 sets

What do you all think? I've been stuck in a squat plateau around 295...I know part of it is my diet, but I'm wondering if I can switch up my routine also. It is giving me results, esp. upper body, albeit not as fast as I'd like.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A full body workout every session is actually old school and making a comeback.

I used to do split, because my diet & recovery couldn't match my workouts. Now I'm doing full body 3 times a week, squatting every session. No problem with recovering and no plateau so far after 3 months.

But as long as you're training hard within the constraints you have (time, budget etc.) it's all good :)

As for your squat plateau, the easiest is of course to eat & rest better. Else you have to identify your failing points during a heavy attempt and see what you need to work on. Squatting with the pins set at different heights in the power rack is very useful. Reviewing the finer points of your technique and doing an assistant exercise like goodmornings: those work for me.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evzone said:
I've been following a 3-day split routine very similar to DIESEL's guide, and I've seen some good results, better as I have improved my diet. I've been noticing though on forums that 2-day splits or programs where people squat every lifting day (3 times per week) seem to be becoming more popular. I'm getting results from what I'm doing...slowly. I know part of it is my diet, and I've hit a rough patch financially so I can't gorge on food like I used to (broke recent graduate), but I do what I can.

My routine:
Monday- Upper body
DB Bench press, 1 warmup set, then 3 work sets
DB Incline press, 2 work sets
DB Military (shoulder) press, 2 work sets
Dips, 2 sets of 10

Wendesday- Back
Deadlifts, 1 warmup set, then 3 work sets
Pullups, 3 sets...I suck at pullups but I'm trying to get better
Seated cable rows, 3 sets

Friday- Legs
Squats, 2 warmup sets (135 x 1 x 8 then 225 x 1 x 8), then 4 work sets
Machine leg curls, 3 sets
Seated calf raises, 2 sets

What do you all think? I've been stuck in a squat plateau around 295...I know part of it is my diet, but I'm wondering if I can switch up my routine also. It is giving me results, esp. upper body, albeit not as fast as I'd like.

I would alternate deadlifts with a heavy barbell/t-bar row or something. Then on your legs day do a stiff legged deadlift/romanian deadlift/heavy dumbbell sldl. That way you're not doing two different deadlift variations each week. Less strain on lower back.

As for the deadlifts. I would look into doing rack deads off pins if you're wanting back thickness(especially for spinal erectorS). I don't know about you but off the floor me it's just way to much leg involvement/posterior chain work to be deemed "back" work. I know my leg work would suffer a lot 2 days after hitting floor deadlifts.

Evzone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
I know my leg work would suffer a lot 2 days after hitting floor deadlifts.
There may be something to this. On Monday, I did my upper body (bench) routine, and today I did squats. I definitely felt that I could push myself harder today. I'm going to experiment with this some more.

mikelangelo11

Reaction score
Re

Day 1 - Legs and Shoulders
Shoulders
Sets Reps
Arnold Press 4 12-15
Lateral Raises 4 12-15
Upright Row 4 12-15

Legs
Sets Reps
Leg Press 4 12-15
Leg Curl 3 12-15
Leg Ext 3 12-15

Day 2 - Chest and Back

Chest
Sets Reps
Bench-P 4 12-15
Incline DB Press 4 12-15
Cable Fly 4 12-15

Back
Sets Reps
Lateral Pull-Down 4 12-15
Seated Row 4 12-15
Single Arm DBl Row 4 12-15

Day 3 - Arms and Legs Make Up
Arms - Biceps
Sets Reps
Preacher Curl 4 12-15
Hammer Curl 4 12-15

Arms - Triceps
Sets Reps
Skull Crushers 4 12-15
Cable Pull Down 4 12-15

Legs
Sets Reps
Squats 4 12-15
Calf Raises 4 12-15

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really don't rate 3 day splits at all. I used to do it but I never really gained on it. They are just needlessly complicated, bothering with too many varieties of exercises, when one will do.

The key to getting stronger and bigger is keeping it simple. Simple as in doing the big compound exercises and working the whole body each session. You can progress extremely quickly with this format, and it's the tried and tested oldschool method. Rippetoe's program is probably the best program to get a beginner stronger and bigger in a short space of time.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
I really don't rate 3 day splits at all. I used to do it but I never really gained on it. They are just needlessly complicated, bothering with too many varieties of exercises, when one will do.

The key to getting stronger and bigger is keeping it simple. Simple as in doing the big compound exercises and working the whole body each session. You can progress extremely quickly with this format, and it's the tried and tested oldschool method. Rippetoe's program is probably the best program to get a beginner stronger and bigger in a short space of time.
Any program will work for a beginner given he's eating enough to compensate for the amount of work. To say "x program" is probably the best for this or that guy is just naive. I know plenty with my exact frame/height who started on bodybuilding splits over full body and they're all bigger/stronger than me. I would rather give my back and legs their own day. Why ? Cause they're the two biggest muscle groups in your whole body. One can only provide so much stimulation in a full body workout before fatigue sets in and performance decreases big time by the end.

I'd rather go in saying I'm going to hit my shoulders/back or back hard as hell and not have to worry about holding back some because I have legs and chest to do also after. Hmm be in the gym training 3 days a week versus 4-6, I'l take the 4-6 times a week all year. Cause that's how much the big guys are training, beginners or not.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
Any program will work for a beginner given he's eating enough to compensate for the amount of work. To say "x program" is probably the best for this or that guy is just naive. I know plenty with my exact frame/height who started on bodybuilding splits over full body and they're all bigger/stronger than me. I would rather give my back and legs their own day. Why ? Cause they're the two biggest muscle groups in your whole body. One can only provide so much stimulation in a full body workout before fatigue sets in and performance decreases big time by the end.

I'd rather go in saying I'm going to hit my shoulders/back or back hard as hell and not have to worry about holding back some because I have legs and chest to do also after. Hmm be in the gym training 3 days a week versus 4-6, I'l take the 4-6 times a week all year. Cause that's how much the big guys are training, beginners or not.
Negative, it's not naive to suggest Rippetoe's may be the best program for beginners. The fact that it's a suggestion must suggest that the topic is up for debate, and debate is never naive.

Yes, any routine will work as long as you eat enough. But I want to suggest something simple, effective, tried and tested and advocated by top class strength coaches.

The beginner does not need much stimulation to make their muscles grow, so it's not necessary to concentrate so much on a particular body part. It's only when an athlete gets to more advanced levels where complicated routines and multiple exercises are required to stimulate muscle growth. So keep it simple squatting 3x a week, focussing on compound exercises.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Golden combo from years ago, regardless of trainee's level, that's taught to all strength coaches:

In every session, do squat, push, pull and a fast lift.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
Negative, it's not naive to suggest Rippetoe's may be the best program for beginners. The fact that it's a suggestion must suggest that the topic is up for debate, and debate is never naive.

Yes, any routine will work as long as you eat enough. But I want to suggest something simple, effective, tried and tested and advocated by top class strength coaches.

The beginner does not need much stimulation to make their muscles grow, so it's not necessary to concentrate so much on a particular body part. It's only when an athlete gets to more advanced levels where complicated routines and multiple exercises are required to stimulate muscle growth. So keep it simple squatting 3x a week, focussing on compound exercises.
lol complicated? 2 muscle groups a day, 2-3 exercises for smaller body parts and 4-5 for bigger ones (e.g. legs/back) spread across 5 days a week. That's really that confusing?

I would understand if a newbie jumped on a chest/legs/back/shoulders/arms on seperate days sort of routine. only hitting muscle groups once a week.

Hmm most people come into this forum to get stronger/eat better and yes look good nekkid. No? Think most want that last part greatly tho the most lolz. Who knows how to eat the best, train accordingly for a nice balanced physique and go through body composition changes like it's no ones business? Natural bodybuilders/coaches not strength coaches LMAO!! People are fooling themselves...Want to get strong and ultimately look good naked ? Listen to guys like Thibaudeau http://tnation.tmuscle.com/forum_images/mytphotos//fullSize/d/e/dee6b-256cs13.jpg Want to create the most balanced physique possible and look great naked? Listen to guys like Dr. Clay Hyght. http://www.tmuscle.com/img/photos/2010/10-034-training/11.jpg
let's see, say for instance I had two twins.

Remember both twins, both same genetics, both using same intensity, eating the same foods, resting the same, always shooting for more reps or weight. No doubt both will gain muscle. Yet who do you think will gain more mass and who do you think will proportionately use those 24+ lbs of mass best?

One decides to do full body workouts 3 times a week. 4-5 exercises each day (some people even do less then this!) . All while eating over maintenance to grow.

There's about 52 weeks in a year. so that mean's fully body twin hits his body/muscles with a frequency of 156 times in a year that's if he has good technique and doesn't have stronger body parts take over significantly (aka muscle imbalances), which is highly unlikely.

benches 156 times a year
so he squats 156 times a year (so plus deadlifts which hit hams/glutes good he hits legs 312 times a year roughly)
does a lat exercise 3 times a week with deadlifts, which also hits back good so we can say 312 times a year he hits his back
let's say for ****s n giggles he does one curl movement and tricep movemnt a 2X a week thats 104 X a year he hit's arms.

His brother decides to start on a 3 way split two days on, one day off. So essentially going 5 days a week also while eating over maintenance daily to grow. While hitting muscles at least twice a week every 7-8 days roughly. With 2-3 various exercises per smaller body parts and 4-5 various exercises for bigger ones like back/legs. So he has around 260 training days a year.

say he does
biceps+forearms=3 exercises
triceps=2 exercises
shoulders=2 exercises
so 7X2 = 14 (14)52 weeks=728 times his arms are getting hit a year with various exercises.

back=4 exercises
8x52= 416 times a year his back gets hit

legs=4 exercises
also 416 times a year

chest=3 exercises about twice a week
6X52 = 312 times he hits chest

So split twin goes 1872 times a year with his whole body getting hit from various angles with money exercises.

full body twin goes hitting his muscles only 884 times through out the year with a limited amount of exercises and that's if he is lucky enough to have good technique and no imbalances/stronger muscles taking over.

Hmmmm I wonder which twin at the end of the year will have a more balanced physique and size/strength.:yes: Remember they're both eating over maintenance and both are doing deadlifts/squats, yet one has more variations of exercises and is in the gym 2 times more a week.

:) *puts flame suit on*:moon: bring it!!!:trouble:

Last edited:

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha, that's some nice theoretical hypothesis you've got there. To sum up your argument: The higher volume of the split work out means more strength and muscle growth. But the problem with all this volume is that you are going to stall a lot quicker on the big lifts, than if you were just doing the big lifts alone. You need to eat more than a strength trainer would, simply to provide energy for the workout and maintenance levels, something that is continually the bane of beginners.

You say all this extra volume stimulates the muscles to grow more, yet you forget that beginners do not need much stimulation to grow, so it's needless to overkill with all the spare exercises. Also the split routine means that you are squatting much less frequently than someone on Rippetoe's, thus they do not progress on the squat as quickly and get it as rigorously enforced into their CNS.

It's also about practicality too, as the average beginner will be unmotivated, not know any of the exercises, not often be eating alot, not want to spend hours in the gym, not have high cardio fitness and easily discouraged by something that looks complicated. Rippetoe's is short, simple, practical, motivating and effective = best BEGINNER program. Splits cater better for an intermediate.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, I think Carlito is greatly oversimplifying this argument. You're going to stall out a hell of a lot faster on that program.

Simple linear progression is the fastest way to make progress. This is mathematically axiomatic. I think everyone should do a simple linear progression program on the big lifts until they stall out (and most people don't push the limits of linear progression anywhere near their TRUE limits) and then do beach work later if they still feel like it. There's no reason to make things more complicated than they need to be or work harder than you need to.

These high volume routines work fine if you're weak. But when your weights get heavier you're going to have a hard time lifting 5 times a week unless you're using steroids, have elite genetics, etc. I'd say people should get a 2 x bodyweight full squat (top of thigh at hip joint below top of knee), 1.5 x bodyweight bench, and 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift before they even bother working the beach muscles.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I agree, I think Carlito is greatly oversimplifying this argument. You're going to stall out a hell of a lot faster on that program.

I think everyone should simply do a simple linear progression program on the big lifts until they stall out (and most people don't push the limits of linear progression anywhere near their TRUE limits) and then do beach work later if they still feel like it.
As far as I'm concerned lifts like deads, squats, weighted chin ups/dips as well as heavy dumbell presses/rows are "beach work"! If you're pulling 5 or 600, squatting 400+, doing pull ups/dips w/ 135 around your waist, and throwing around 120 lb dumbells for your presses/rows, I think you'll have one hell of a beach body... provided you're eating relatively clean and are lean. You can add in assistance work, but after corking out 5 x 415 on deads, I hardly think anything else will compare w/ the kind of intensity/power output required to do the deadlift.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep it simple, stick to just a few big compound lifts until you at least get to 2-3-4 plates for bench press, squat and deadlift (the powerlifter's end of beginner stage).

After 5 months of training like that (and my lifts are around 2-3-4 plates), I'm killing most guys at my gym (standard uni gym) who've been training for years doing waste-of-time splits. Not just lifts, but they're also asking me how to get bigger quads (squat more!) or how to get bigger shoulders (do more standing military press!). I remember one of the guys asking me about quads originally asked if he should leg-press with his toes out to hit the "outter" quads or not. I laughed & told him to do back & front squats, Olympic style.

I'm increasing +2.5kg on most of my lifts every week and showing no sign of stalling yet (still on beginner's gain). How quickly do you see the typical guy at the gym doing splits & isolations stall? A month or two at most.

I hardly think anything else will compare w/ the kind of intensity/power output required to do the deadlift.
Clean and Snatch! Those two have 3~5 times the power output of deadlift. See quoted article at:

http://www.columbusweightlifting.org/forum/index.php?forum=1&topic=3

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
Keep it simple, stick to just a few big compound lifts until you at least get to 2-3-4 plates for bench press, squat and deadlift (the powerlifter's end of beginner stage).

After 5 months of training like that (and my lifts are around 2-3-4 plates), I'm killing most guys at my gym (standard uni gym) who've been training for years doing waste-of-time splits. Not just lifts, but they're also asking me how to get bigger quads (squat more!) or how to get bigger shoulders (do more standing military press!). I remember one of the guys asking me about quads originally asked if he should leg-press with his toes out to hit the "outter" quads or not. I laughed & told him to do back & front squats,
Olympic style.

lol "waste of time splits" It's largely dependent on the person and how their training is organized. you do acknowledge Joe Defranco and guys like Charles Poliquin have their athletes on upper/lower body splits (beginner/intermediate/advanced doesn't matter) and Matt Kroc trains similarly, but with the touch of a bodybuilder as he has been loving his curls a lot these past years! oh he's also doing a show. http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onl...ilding/kroc_145_weeks_out?id=3600642&pageNo=6

I'm increasing +2.5kg on most of my lifts every week and showing no sign of stalling yet (still on beginner's gain). How quickly do you see the typical guy at the gym doing splits & isolations stall? A month or two at most.

lol straw man argument. Too many variables. Anyone will stall on any routine if they're not eating enough, not training properly and not getting enough rest and that's the typical guy LOL! You can't deny this!! Yet you ignore this and just "point a finger" because they're on a split as to make you feel superior or make full body training some how seem much more superior.. How should I say...it's very cute!

Clean and Snatch! Those two have 3~5 times the power output of deadlift. See quoted article at:

http://www.columbusweightlifting.org/forum/index.php?forum=1&topic=3
think I'm going to go do legs, hamstring focused workout weighted sled drags, leg curls and stiff legged deadlifts sound good!!