what are some healthy places to eat out?

garruk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i eat out alot, im in college and i live in a fraternity house, so you can imagine the kitchen is pretty nasty.

anyways, what are some healthier choices to eat out? places like subway and chipotle come to mind but ive heard that they arent actually that great for you.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can make Chipotle decent. Subway, too. A lot of chains have put their nutrition information on their websites. Most places have a couple good options.

But it also depends what you mean by "healthy". Do you simply mean lower in calories? Because almost all of these places are going to have food additives and fillers that may not be high calorie, but are definitely not "clean".

Some decent options for chains:
Wendy's Grilled Chicken sandwich - I get it with only tomato and lettuce, eat only half the bun
Taco Bell - Fresco Taco, Fresco Crunchy Taco, Fresco Chicken Taco
Subway - Veggie, Turkey... don't go there much so I forget what they have.
Chipotle - I get a Burrito Bol, easy rice, black beans, fajita peppers, chicken, salsa, lettuce, a little cheese. I try to eat only half of it, since it gets upwards of 600 calories.

manella

Reaction score
I live with my family and eat at home most of the time, But some time When I wanna chill than go out side a good restaurant or any cafeteria with my family or friends enjoy some sort of the fast foods and some time's the better diet products containing low calories.....

Ryder36

Reaction score
I am living alone and my family is in other city...So I face many difficulties to find good food near my place..But I have some favorite cafeterias and restaurants where I use to go almost twice a week...

garruk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
PDubb75 said:
You can make Chipotle decent. Subway, too. A lot of chains have put their nutrition information on their websites. Most places have a couple good options.

But it also depends what you mean by "healthy". Do you simply mean lower in calories? Because almost all of these places are going to have food additives and fillers that may not be high calorie, but are definitely not "clean".

Some decent options for chains:
Wendy's Grilled Chicken sandwich - I get it with only tomato and lettuce, eat only half the bun
Taco Bell - Fresco Taco, Fresco Crunchy Taco, Fresco Chicken Taco
Subway - Veggie, Turkey... don't go there much so I forget what they have.
Chipotle - I get a Burrito Bol, easy rice, black beans, fajita peppers, chicken, salsa, lettuce, a little cheese. I try to eat only half of it, since it gets upwards of 600 calories.
i dont mean low calories. i mean genuinely healthy. i dont understand nutrition like many bodybuilders do, but i know that you need to eat balanced macronutrients and subway has too much salt etc.

i basically mean healthy as in like i could eat there every day live a healthy life :p

i do eat alot of burrito bowls too though.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
garruk said:
i dont mean low calories. i mean genuinely healthy. i dont understand nutrition like many bodybuilders do, but i know that you need to eat balanced macronutrients and subway has too much salt etc.

i basically mean healthy as in like i could eat there every day live a healthy life :p

Everyday food? Not gonna find it at a restaurant. There may be some "health food" places around you that cater to a healthier diet, but that just means healthier compared to the other crap around. But places like those, you will go broke eating there all the time. Sorry bud.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've eaten a lot of meals "out" that amounted to walking across a strip mall to the nearest grocery store. There was a grocery store next to my university that had a great salad bar. When I was a delivery driver in Florida, I would often just go to the nearest Publix and get some cottage cheese, day-old bakery bread, maybe some fruit. When I was training for mma, I would get 1/4 lb of sliced deli meat from the nearby grocery store, wrap it around a 25 cent cheese stick that was meant for a little kid's lunch box and call that a meal. Most of those meals were under $2.

Hanley

Reaction score
Hi garruk,
As I have joined the gym and can't enjoy the stuff you ate.
I prefer going to some Chinese hotel as they have balanced diet there.
Last month I took my kids to KFC and I enjoyed the salad there.

manella

Reaction score
manella said:
I live with my family and eat at home most of the time, But some time When I wanna chill than go out side a good restaurant or any cafeteria with my family or friends enjoy some sort of the fast foods and some time's the better diet products containing low calories.....
el cerrito personal trainer

Ryder36

Reaction score
garruk said:

animal cuts

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Find a place that sells whole chickens cooked for you. Steam up some vegetables with it and you're good to go.

But if you're worried about cutting fat you better be worried about calories. I went months and months eating "healthy" and "organic" and it got me nowhere. I'll never eat natural peanut butter again.

Kenny Powers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So far a lot of the advice on this thread has been terrible, but that's understandable since most places to eat out are terrible health wise.

Garruk I'm also in college and even though I live in an area with a lot of hungry students, its impossible to find healthy places to eat out, especially when your trying to cut carbs like I am. Chipotle and Panera Bread are usually the ones I go to, but even these aren't that great. Delis are a safe bet but apparently a lot of them use Sodium Nitrate as a preservative in their meats, which too much of is really bad for you.

My advice would be to make more food at home, which is both cheaper and healthier. I cook a lot of eggs, chicken and salmon. Be sure to do some research online on how to properly prepare them though - don't want to get food poisoning.

Don't be fooled by what other people eat. Yesterday afternoon I saw a giant line at taco bell and was reminded of pigs eating slop from their troff. Honestly the food most of these places serve is so full of preservatives, chemicals, hormones, and fillers that its no wonder we have an obesity crisis. Just a few weeks ago it came out that taco bell's beef is actually only 35% actual meat, the rest is just filler. The state of the food system is incredibly disturbing.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Taco Bell is not 35% beef, its something like 85% and the rest of the ingredients are found in a lot of other food, like breakfast cereals.

Luis

Reaction score
There are many places to eat out. Many restaurants are there. I prefer fast food chain and likes to go there. Like KFC & Mcdonald's and Subway and many more like these.
Tampa personal trainer

Last edited: