Want her digits? Touch her arm

KUSHVILLE

Don Juan
Reaction score
In a scientific study, a good-looking man approached 120 women in a night club over a period of three weeks, and asked them to dance. Of the 60 women who he touched lightly on the arm, 65 percent agreed to a dance, compared with just 43 percent of whom he asked without making any physical contact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BPS Research Digest covers a simple yet fascinating study on the power on lightly touching someone's arm when trying to persuade them.

In this case, the psychology study involved a man asking women to dance or for their phone numbers.

A good-looking man approached 120 women in a night club over a period of three weeks, and asked them to dance. It was in the name of science – the man was an assistant to the psychologist Nicolas Guegen. Remarkably, of the 60 women who he touched lightly on the arm, 65 per cent agreed to a dance, compared with just 43 per cent of the 60 women who he asked without making any physical contact.

A second study involved three male research assistants approaching 240 women in the street and asking them for their phone numbers. Among those 120 women who the researchers touched lightly on the arm, 19 per cent agreed to share their number, compared with 10 per cent of the women with whom no physical contact was made.

Christian has a fantastic talent for finding really intriguing studies and this is a particularly good example.

Have a look at his article for more on why this effect might occur.

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
KUSHVILLE said:
Among those 120 women who the researchers touched lightly on the arm, 19 per cent agreed to share their number, compared with 10 per cent of the women with whom no physical contact was made.
Another thing i noted from that article, theres your numbers game right there.

120 women 19% success.

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Go getta said:
I found that i was way more successful when i went sarging with a hardon. just jerk off before you go sarging and then thrust it against a woman's body. science has proved that 100% she will talk to you and about 36% of the time she will give you her number and a date
Science has also shown that you live under a bridge..

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with science. In order for a theory to be proven correct in science, it has to be tested over and over and over and over again to get the same results (or outcome).

This is not science but a simple probability! It should be summed up as a Confidence Interval (from Statistics), not as a scientific claim.

Psychology is not a science.

Try getting some hidious dude to do the same experiment ..I bet the numbers are quite different. In science, they would be the same no matter who did the experiment.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sir Juanalot said:
120 women 19% success.
That's actually a pretty low #. And out of that, probably only a few are real numbers that the chick wouldn't blow him off after picking up.

So, a good-looking guy is probably only batting maybe 5%-10% on cold pick-ups?

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
So, a good-looking guy is probably only batting maybe 5%-10% on cold pick-ups?
Your flaw is that you are looking at it from a percentage stand point.

It counts how many women you have in the end therefore the more you approach the more women you will date.