Universitykid's Fitness Journal

University.Kid

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been working out for about 3 years but the first 2.5 years was on my high school football routine and I've been working on my own for about 8 months. I was a running back, so in comparison to most of the guys in the gym at similar body weights my legs are disproportionately large.

In the past my workout have been based upon plyometrics with a lot of sprinting and leg work. I had hopes of playing University ball but being on the practice squad with a couple other freshman guys slated ahead of me, I decided not to play. Instead I became interested in power lifting. I started a routine based upon the 'big 3' and have varied the accessory lifts. After doing some reading on here I realize that the general consensus is that the switch from barbell to dumbbells for chest press could actually detrimental to my growth? Could someone just explain the reasoning behind this? Anyways the reason I have switched to dumbbells is that I usually workout by myself and was a little intimidated about dropping the barbell on myself.

Anyways here are my numbers, I realize that they are not very impressive for my weight or background in football. I see many people squatting much more than I however they do not squat nearly as deep and with the dead lift my grip is really hindering my gains but the general consensus my whole life has been that 'gloves are for pvssies.'

Height: 5'11
Weight: 200lbs
Bodyfat: ~10% (visible unflexed abs)

DB Press: 75x5
Squat: 295x8
Deadlift: 295x3 (damn grip or else I believe I could pull MUCH more)

Basically what I'm looking for is to bulk up quite a bit. I would like to put a number on it but I find putting up goals in weight to be very trivial as I can remember a point in my life where I believed I would look 'jacked' at 170 haha. I'd like to keep my body fat reasonable, I don't want to become a tub of lard but I couldn't really care less if the abs go for a while if it means increased strength. Although I believe starting a journal with no goals is simply ridiculous. I will reset the goal in DB Press if someone can explain the advantage to going with barbell instead. I chose May 1st (soon I know) as it's the end of school, I will re-choose goals after that.

DB Press: 95x5
Squat: 355x5
*Deadlift: 395x5
(I truly believe this is possible if I can figure out my grip woes)

I'm not really good at choosing the accessory lifts, so whatever you guys think will help me build overall mass and increase these numbers would be great in a routine.

As for diet, I think I do a reasonable job, but it could certainly be improved. Keep in mind I'm a University student living on my own for the first time so my cooking skills aren't incredible. Here's just an example of what I ate yesterday.

8:00 am: 4 boiled eggs, 2 bowls Vector with skim milk, water
10:00 am: Protein shake, couple handfuls of almonds, banana
12:30 pm: Chicken breast sandwich on WW bread, yogurt, banana, 2 'cheese string'
3:00: 2 apples
3:30: workout
4:30: Protein shake
5:00: 2 meatpies, mashed potatoes, salad
7:30: 2 cans of tuna with WW triscuit crackers
10:00: 4 boiled eggs, protein shake
11:00 Sleep

I've never counted calories, I've mostly must tried to consume as many as possible without ingesting anything too bad although I do eat fast food fairly frequently which my rocket fast metabolism takes care of. I could definitely use some pointers with the diet for someone who has very little cooking experience.

Alright I have to head to class, but hopefully when I get back I will be able to put together a definite workout plan and diet to stick to.

Cheers
University.kid

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So i take it you don't have a meal plan at your school? What does your routine look like?

University.Kid

Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in a house off-campus so I generally just bring my lunches. I could eat at the many places on campus (pretty well every type of fast food is represented) or I could go into one of the residences cafeteria's but the prices are outragous unless you buy the student overhead package and I just don't really see it as worth it considering the vast majority of the food is garbage nutrion-wise.

My routine has been fairly inconsistent. The only thing that has remained constant is that I have stuck with a 3-day split with each of the days being based upon one of the big 3 lifts. I have listened to many peoples advice at the gym and have tried out different lifts. I haven't completely figured out the number of repetitions for each lift. These have been the mainstays in my routine, I generally add in another lift for each day to try it out. I would like to come to a set routine but would like to hear your advice on what I should input.

Sunday
Squats
Calf Raises
Leg raises

Tuesday
DB Press
Incline DB Press
DB Flyes
Dips
Shoulder Press *(not sure if it belongs on this day)

Thursday
Deadlifts
Pull-ups
Rows

Occasionally on Sundays I will throw in some leg curls or extensions because they are generally the only leg exercises that I know. On Tuesdays I've experimented adding skullcrushers and close-grip bench. On Thursdays I occasionally add BB curls or Hammer curls.

EDIT: I don't do any cardio, but probably spend about an hour each day walking to/from campus, to classes and to the gym.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ever try alternative grip on the deadlifts? Or even straps! I believe if it's just your grip holding you back a couple straps it not cheating. Chalk is also good because it gives you a way better grip, you can really feel the difference with chalk and it's really cheap on Amazon. Watch any videos of pros...they generally alway use chalk and sometimes straps. And I'm not about to call those guys pvssy who dead 700lbs :)

You can also start doing exercises that work on grip.

BTW Gloves suck for deadlifting, it doesn't help at all.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
University.Kid said:
I live in a house off-campus so I generally just bring my lunches. I could eat at the many places on campus (pretty well every type of fast food is represented) or I could go into one of the residences cafeteria's but the prices are outragous unless you buy the student overhead package and I just don't really see it as worth it considering the vast majority of the food is garbage nutrion-wise.

My routine has been fairly inconsistent. The only thing that has remained constant is that I have stuck with a 3-day split with each of the days being based upon one of the big 3 lifts. I have listened to many peoples advice at the gym and have tried out different lifts. I haven't completely figured out the number of repetitions for each lift. These have been the mainstays in my routine, I generally add in another lift for each day to try it out. I would like to come to a set routine but would like to hear your advice on what I should input.

Sunday
Squats
Calf Raises
Leg raises

Tuesday
DB Press
Incline DB Press
DB Flyes
Dips
Shoulder Press *(not sure if it belongs on this day)

Thursday
Deadlifts
Pull-ups
Rows

Occasionally on Sundays I will throw in some leg curls or extensions because they are generally the only leg exercises that I know. On Tuesdays I've experimented adding skullcrushers and close-grip bench. On Thursdays I occasionally add BB curls or Hammer curls.

EDIT: I don't do any cardio, but probably spend about an hour each day walking to/from campus, to classes and to the gym.
i'd follow the where to start thread for 12 weeks along with the simple starting diet. Make a journal on here and after 12 weeks is up you can move to something else if you need to.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you sure you're hitting full depth (hip joint below top of knee) on your squats? I know you said your grip was weak, but if you can squat a weight 8 times and only deadlift it 3 times, something's wrong.

If you want to barbell bench press, do it in the rack with the pins set just below the top of your chest when you arch. It's a pain in the ass but it's better than getting stuck under the bar after a failed rep. If you want to get into Powerlifting you're going to have to barbell bench because that's 1/3 of the contest (unfortunately).

University.Kid

Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallianStallion:
I currently use alternative grip on the heavier sets of my deadlifts. My gym looks down on chalk unfortunately but I think I am going to buy some straps the next time I'm at the mall.

Kerpal:
Yeah I'm hitting full-depth on my squats, the difference in numbers is probably because I have been doing squats for about 3 years and deadlifts for about 4 months haha. Also I barely feel deadlifts in my muscles I just can't hold on to the damn bar.

When I get back to school (I'm on spring break) I think I am just going to switch to barbell bench and just ask people to spot as there are always tons of big guys just standing around between sets.

So today is my first work-out day and unfortunately I am back at home for the week and don't have a membership to any gym at home so I'm going to an old-person gym with my dad which means I have a really sh!tty gym with no power racks, just a Smith machine.

Since it's leg day, which would be better; Smith machine squats or leg press? (No comparison to squats I know, but no other option)

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They look down on chalk? What a bunch of idiots, so many professional powerlifters use it. You'll get it. Like I said, grip exercises are good too. Captains of Crush is great as well and their not too expensive. Check out Amazon.com for it. Start on trainer and move up

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...Wow your already on Break...crazy I still got a while to go...

Damn man I envy you a little, your younger then me and can out bench/dead/squat already...lol.

I was winded doing ATG squats at 140 ...:(

Good luck man and I'm going to steal your last meal :)!

University.Kid

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow so I haven't updated this for a long time.

I was planning on putting up my numbers every week, but I think I might just continue to post once every 3-4 weeks to make sure I continue to make gains. I weighed myself at the gym yesterday and have been making gains in all my lifts so here's the updated numbers.

Height: 5'11
Weight: 205 (+5)
DB Press: 85x5 (+10)
Squat: 325x5 (+20)
Deadlift: 355x5 (+60)

So yeah it has definitely been going really well. I have added an extra protein shake per day and have been eating much more and I have been more consistent with the meals. As for the lifts, I am very happy with how they are going. I got my deadlift figured out and have since started using chalk in my gym (thanks I-tallion Stallion) and hired a personal trainor for 1 session on my deadlift day to help me perfect my form. I've also started to squat considerably deeper after watching a video of myself (Kerpal - you were right, I could've sworn I was squatting deep enough looking in the mirror until I checked a vid haha) so my numbers actually dropped in the beginning but now I've got them above where they were with flawless form, doing a$s to grass.

I've recently been getting a lot of compliments about how I am getting bigger, whether it's just coincidence or the 5 lbs has made that much of a difference. I've been getting a lot of compliments about my shoulders lately. I was considering starting with creatine, but since I am seeing gains without I think I will lay-off until I hit 210.

As for the strength goals, they all appear to be fairly daunting tasks considering studying for exams is going to consume the vast majority of my month of April, but hell I'll see what I can do.