Tips on book reading

Migel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I decided to share something that I know a lot about. It is book reading.
The reason why I'm writing this, is that I know a lot of guys that are very intelligent but are not very knowledgeable. The difference is that they can quickly solve a puzzle or calculate a sum but they don't really have anything interesting to say that could be described as wisdom. And as we know wisdom and stating your own opinion is very attractive. So here are my tips to reading as many books as possible.
(Oh and if you think reading books is nerdish, read Pook's post "Origin of the 'Nerd'" on http://dapook.blogspot.com/ and think again.)

- Read only if you feel like it

The symptoms of your braining telling you I want to read are: curiosity and anticipation. This may be counter-intuitive but this is the way I read. And I read a lot this way.

- If you don't feel like reading, you haven't found anything worth reading FOR YOU.

Don't read what everybody else is reading, read only what interests YOU. Even if the subject is interesting the book may be boring itself. Don't ever force yourself to read! If you can't read the book there are two reasons for it: the book is boring or you are bored with the subject. Find something else.

- Get book recommendations from people you respect.

For example I read most of the books David DeAngelo recommends. It is a powerful motivator because you know the person got something from the book.

- Make reading a habit in certain contexts.

What I mean by this is: find a place or time to read everyday. I read a LOT of books and I nearly never read at home. I established a habit of reading: on the bus, at coffee shops, in the book store. I think those are the only 3 places I read. If you have trouble focusing on reading, this is the #1 tip to get yourself focused instantly. How do you establish a habit like this? Start small. Bring a book with yourself on the bus. Don't read if you don't want to, but if you feel like it start reading. Quickly you will notice that it is far more interesting than watching the window.

- If you get sleepy, get more oxygen.

Sometimes you get sleepy when reading a book even if it is interesting. Probably you need oxygen. Breath deeper. Sit straight. Your neck must be straight so the blood can easily pump itself to the brain. Take a break, walk around a bit.

- If you catch yourself wondering with your imagination then it is good!

Imagining stuff while reading is more important than reading. Unless it is a book where the story is really important you can wonder with your imagination. I frequently catch myself imagining something for 10 pages and then returning and realizing I don't know what I was reading about! It is a good sign, because the book has stimulated your brain and you are actually THINKING.

- Don't worry about forgetting what the book was about.

I rarely remember any facts from books I read unless it was really clever or funny. Don't worry that you don't remember the character names after 2 months. Facts are not important, computers can be fed with facts. The thing you learn while reading books is how to think and process language. If you read many books you will start seeing patterns in the way knowledgeable people think. You will learn how to state opinions and express them easily because intelligent reasoning will be your second nature.

g g g unit

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post i liked it. I certainly agree with the bit about finding somewhere that you like reading, like i only read in bed and in the garden while tanning and i find it realy awkward and hard to concentrate on reading in public/when theres noise but hey thats just my opinion.

Does anyone recomend any books???

niceguydying

Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good thread!!! I couldn't agree more... I saw that a member on here recommended "Shut up, stop whining and get a life." I did a search and it got high marks indeed, so as a result of what I found the member recommending it, I ordered it. Another that seems interesting to me and I ordered is "Suicide: What really happens in the afterlife?" The authors of this book appeared on CoasttoCoast w/ George Noory and discussed the book. I missed the program, but still interesting to me. Not because I am a considering suicide, but because of my line of work and medical training as an Emt.

I will throw this at no cost as well. I had a date w/ a lady and she asked me what was the last book I read. Talking about a curve ball!!! Not to mention I was pretty wasted and really couldn't answer her question. Of course I had a one night stand with this flake, but if I would have really been into her it would have been nice to appear more like an intellect than I am.

Finally, I always like to think I am smarter than the average bear, and reading will only help making me smarter. Broaden your horizions, it can't hurt!

g g g unit

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
niceguydying said:
Finally, I always like to think I am smarter than the average bear, and reading will only help making me smarter. Broaden your horizions, it can't hurt!
Lol i definatly think that about myself too.

A book i highly recomend is "think and grow rich" (i bought it cos of the good reviews on here).i read it last week and seriously it changed my life and the way i think.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good post, I read often and it helps. I read in a coffee shop the other day. I'm currently reading anoher Kurt Vonnegut story. I recommend the book Freakonomics (not a vonnegut book).

g g g unit

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm this thread seems quite dry despite it being a great topic o well what a shame.

Btw whats that freakonomics book about???

Migel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks.
Amazon has lists of DeAngelo's stuff, check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/li.../ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt/103-0794928-8782244
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/li.../ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt/103-0794928-8782244

These are mostly science or pop-science books. I truly recommend:
"Mind-lines" - this book changes the way you think and therefore changes YOU.
"The Mating Mind" - ever wondered what we really are? Are we animals? If so how does our mating ritual look like...
"Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" - this is a must have if you want to sell stuff, either in business or sell yourself to girls :). Style also recommends this book.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Freakonomics is about an economist from Chicago, it makes you ponder about a lot of things he says. Some of the topics covered are drugs, abortions stemming from Roe vs. Wade, sumo wrestling, teachers and tests, etc.

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just finished The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. A good read even though it fizzles a bit toward the end. Learning the concept of 'psychological air' and a few other bits of wisdom such as empathic listening definitely made it worth while.

Another reading tip, which I've already mentioned elsewhere: Turn off the TV!!!

Migel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think we should mention in this thread the ultimate classics. Books that you should read NOW. These are the "I wish I read that earlier in my life" books:

"Think and grow rich" by Napoleon Hill
Everytime I read this I find something new. It is the ultimate source of inspiration. This book is powerful.

"Psycho-cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz
You are what you think you are...

If you could read just 2 books in your lifetime those are the ones. Anyone have more of books like that?

YoungJuan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Man... you are a genius. I actually began reading a lot for the sake of increasing my vocab and for the morals/wisdom. And to tell you the truth, I don't think I have had a better past time than reading... of course I love to play sports and what not, but when you read, you train your brain to focus, soak in information, get smarter, and like Migel says... you learn how to think intelligently. Awesome post I especially like tip number 6, I didn't know wondering could be any value when reading :rolleyes:

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Put another way: watching TV is passive. Reading forces you to create images and concepts in your mind. The value of this mental exercise cannot be stressed enough.

When Einstein died they dissected his brain and found more synaptic connections per unit of measurement than anyone the doctors had examined before.

So.....get into building those connections and think smarter.

Bay area pimp

Banned
Reaction score
Instant Rapport by Michael Brooks. Awesome book if you actually use what it teaches you.

Migel

Don Juan
Reaction score
When Einstein died they dissected his brain and found more synaptic connections per unit of measurement than anyone the doctors had examined before.
Yeah Einstein created his theory in his imagination. Not by math. He saw it there in his head and that is why he said that imagination is more important than knowledge.

NLP books are good for knowledge junkies (like me). It is interesting to read them but don't get too hyped about it because NLP only describes what is happening in the brain. I can't say I can use NLP because it is just a description of a process, I don't think it is possible to APPLY IT. It is a map but not the territory. Anyways NLP books are stimulating.

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Stephen Hawking the cripple is forced to work inside his head too. Some say this has given him an advantage because he has developed a very elastic, visual way of solving problems. This is the same skill you can use to 'practice' approaching and conversing with women while you're stuck commuting or can't leave a dull situation. You can also use it to project 'sexual state' when chatting up a woman.