The Yips.

k3000

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not thinking too much. When athletes start to think about what they do it causes them to slow their game down. What is happening is that normally their sub-conscious is taking care of it for them. Through years of practice they have learnt to automatically asses situations within their game and react automatically. Thinking about it just slows this process down.

Its called The Yips and the same thing has happened to me in life. By concentrating on concepts and philosophies and ignoring the practice I have become, well, not practiced enough. What you need is the right amount of concept and the right amount of practice and for me this is split 80/20 in favour of practice. Maybe this is because I have done so much thinking.

Anyway, the point is that when I just tell myself that I can do something and have faith in myself I find that I can do it quite naturally. I also now know that only by practising can you improve at something.

Last edited:

oOh Nasty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i like.

you do your best when you're not thinking about it.

ahh. the beauty of the natural mind.

Walk this Way

Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely true. Consider the first three minutes meeting a girl - a tremendous amount is going. There is no possible way to monitor all the processes. Practice is the key to making the physical reactions automatic. Natural is also, of course, more attractive. It's a plus-plus situation. Many people do not understand the importance of APPLICATION - reading will go nowhere without practice.

AMF

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Paralysis through analysis"