the reason for larger looking muscles straight after exercise

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember hearing some people being told they are wrong when they said thta after excersize their six pack looks more defined. You muscles do not grow straight away it takes time to see more definition.

I have seen this happen aswell and whilst any one who says your muscles cant grow straight away, is correct, people who say muscles look bigger are also correct!

Darker skin makes you muscles look more define. Excersize makes your body overheat and your veins dilate bringing blood ot the surface to cool off. Whilst it is most obvious on your face, it happens on your body aswell. If you are white it will make your skin look as if you are slightly darker, so even tohu your muscles are still the same size, they do in fact look more defined after exercise (regardless of whether or not you exercised those particular muscles)

siph

Don Juan
Reaction score
your msucle tissue was just torn up. obviously theres a bit of swelling that occurs

mad|cow

Don Juan
Reaction score
^ I dunno about that

2 main contributing factors are
1. "Pump" as mentioned above, which is just masive increased blood flow to the affected muscles, and, also
2. Lactic acid created from working the muscles that hasnt yet got flushed out yet

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, it's called muscular hypertrophy.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of these posts are scary. If you don't know what you're talking about, sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut.

It's exactly as MetalFortress said. Targeted muscles are engorged with blood due to that muscles need for extra oxygen when under stress. It's usually referred to as a 'pump'.

It is not hypertrophy. Hypertrophy comes later, as the muscle begins to repair.

It is most definitely nothing to do with tanned skin or flushed skin or whatnot.

In future lets try and keep H&F topics reasonably scientific - guessing alone is seldom grounds to lodge an 'informative' topic.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Allright e-tough guy......

Made a mistake......no need for that.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I said i'd make a mistake man. Whats your prob?

Insecure prick....

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, seeing as we're in agreement, there's no need to continue this convo. Later kiddo.