The punching bag

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey so i have been training on the heavy bag without boxing gloves or any protection on my hands.

Is this bad for my knuckles in the long run?

Or will my knuckle just get stronger and more conditioned.

When i hit the bag i dont feel any pain on my fists or wrist but i am worried about long term effects.

thanx

Theminatar

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's only bad if you want feeling in your knuckles, after a while it will deaden the nerves in your knuckles.

When I was younger my karate trainer told me to rip paper on cement by punching it to deaden my nerves so I'd feel no pain when I hit someone. Lol I quit the next day.

Leeds_Lad_Dom

Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason you wear gloves is to stop you breaking knuckles if you don't connect clean with proper form, but on the bag it's a lot less likely for this to happen, so you should be fine......hopefully lol

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently you're not training hard enough or you would have stopped by now.

The whole reason, no one trains continuously on a bag without gear is because you rip/tear your skin. Why do you think after brawls and street fights, people end up with bloody fists. Sometimes its not even the guy that got his ass beats blood. It's the blood from the guy who was beating him's blood. You're knuckles get scratches, cuts and end up bloody.

I have scars on my knuckles from tearing my skin from fighting. I've hit the heavy bag during training barehanded a few times. If i would have went a full round on it without protection, i would have gotten bloody knuckles.

If you feel pain from hitting a bag, you should ease your way in. bone density in that area should increase over time with practice.

I used to punch walls all the time to get rid of the pain in my knuckles. Now that my knuckles are alright, i have a problem with my wrists. If your knuckles/fist can support the pressure of your punch, that's one thing but if your wrist can't that's another.

Crissco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to hit the heavy bag bare knucked for years. My bags still all bloody till this day. Was it fun at the time, yes, do I regret it, no. Did i fu(k up my knuckes. Probably.