The Obsessive Love Wheel

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
The Obsessive Love Wheel

Phase One: The Attraction Phase

The initial phase of ORP is characterized by an instantaneous and overwhelming attraction to another person. It is at this point the relationally dependent person becomes "hooked" on a romantic interest, usually resulting from the slightest bit of attention from the person they are attracted to. Phase One ORP behaviors can include:

An instant attraction to romantic interest, usually occurring within the first few minutes of meeting.

An immediate urge to rush into a relationship - regardless of compatibility.

Becoming "hooked on the look" of another, focusing on the person's physical characteristics while ignoring personality differences.

Unrealistic fantasies about a relationship with a love interest, assigning "magical" qualities to an object of affection.

The beginnings of obsessive, controlling behaviors begin to manifest.

Phase Two: The Anxious Phase

This phase in considered a relational turning point, which usually occurs after a commitment has been made between both parties. Sometimes however, the relationally dependent person will enter into this phase without the presence of a commitment. This happens when the afflicted person creates the illusion of intimacy, regardless of the other person's true feelings. The second phase of ORP behaviors can include:

Unfounded thoughts of infidelity on the part of a partner and demanding accountability for normal daily activities.

An overwhelming fear of abandonment, including baseless thoughts of a partner walking out on the relationship in favor of another person.

The need to constantly be in contact with a love interest via phone, email or in person.

Strong feelings of mistrust begin to emerge, causing depression, resentment and relational tension.

The continuation and escalation of obsessive, controlling behaviors.

Phase Three: The Obsessive Phase

This particular phase represents the rapid escalation of this unhealthy attachment style. It is at this point that obsessive, controlling behaviors reach critical mass, ultimately overwhelming the RD person's life. It is also at this point that the person being controlled begins to pull back and ultimately, severs the relationship. In short, Phase Three is characterized by a total loss of control on the part of the RD person, resulting from extreme anxiety. Usually, the following characteristics are apparent during the third phase of ORP:

The onset of "tunnel vision," meaning that the relationally dependent person cannot stop thinking about a love interest and required his or her constant attention.

Neurotic, compulsive behaviors, including rapid telephone calls to love interest's place of residence or workplace.

Unfounded accusations of "cheating" due to extreme anxiety.

"Drive-bys" around a love interest's home or place of employment, with the goal of assuring that the person is at where "he or she is supposed to be."

Physical or electronic monitoring activities, following a love interest's whereabouts throughout the course of a day to discover daily activities.

Extreme control tactics, including questioning a love interest's commitment to the relationship (guilt trips) with the goal of manipulating a love interest into providing more attention.

Phase Four: The Destructive Phase

This is the final phase of Obsessive Relational Progression. It represents the destruction of the relationship, due to phase three behaviors, which have caused a love interest to understandably flee. For a variety of reasons, this is considered the most dangerous of the four phases, because the RD person suddenly plummets into a deep depression due to the collapse of the relationship. Here are some of the more common behaviors that are exhibited during phase four of ORP:

Overwhelming feelings of depression (feeling "empty" inside).

A sudden loss of self-esteem, due to the collapse of the relationship.

Extreme feelings of self-blame and at times, self-hatred.

Anger, rage and a desire to seek revenge against a love interest for breaking off the relationship.

Denial that the relationship has ended and attempting to "win a loved one back" by making promises to "change".

The use of drugs, alcohol, food or sex to "medicate" the emotional pain.

Summary

Sadly for most people who suffer from RD, the only way they can get off their chaotic wheel is by jumping onto a new one, causing the cycle of control to repeat itself in a new relationship. If what you have read speaks to your situation or the person you are involved with, then it may be time for help. There are specific reasons behind the affliction of RD, which can generally be traced to a person's past. Consider speaking with professional trained in the field of relationships, such as a mental health counselor or family and marriage therapist.

Relational Dependency is treatable but only when there is an acknowledgement that a problem exists. Bear in mind that changing controlling behaviors takes time and progress should not be expected to occur over night. By reaching out for support, the relationally dependent person is really reaching in.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
If you recognize yourself in the above post...please go read the DJ Bible RIGHT NOW. Thank you.

This has been a forum public service announcement....

Okay, carry on!

Kaine

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post.

I can relate to that and through other people's experiences. You get caught up in your own bubble romance. It takes quite a strong will to recognise it in yourself, you're too swept up in the emotions to be rational, you fail to recognise it's a problem and deny responsibility.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Giovanni Casanova
This is a superior post, Wyld. I have been on both sides of this one, and have known people who have as well. I know a girl right now who still doesn't get that her ex-boyfriend broke up with her almost a year ago. Still calls him, goes over to his house, the works.

:eek:
It's from a book...I can't remember the name of it, but will see if I can get the info and post it here. This "Wheel" has become fairly popular across the internet. I was browsing around last night and found it for the first time and thought it was appropriate for this site, so I saved it and decided to give it it's own thread. Afterall...despite what some may think, opinionated women aren't all about their tits.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Giovanni Casanova
Just mostly.
To you, apparently, but not to me. Okay, let's not ruin a good thread with bickering. Just wanted to make a point and we should leave it at that.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
bump for the AM crowd...

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sazuki
Who wants to be my girlfiend? Plz? :(

On a more serious note, this is called, or resembles at least, co-dependency in clinical terms.

I know some girls in my class who can get all obsessive about one person. Parenting and society have both just as big of an impact on this I think, when dealing with sexual relationships I guess media/society even more.
Ironically, this is actually a pretty good summation of how women view what men often consider to be "nice guys". Of course, when a woman says she wants a "nice guy", it's an entirely different type of guy she's talking about.

A "nice guy" (as termed on this site) is a guy who starts off pretending to only want to be friends with a girl or woman. Because it is possible for a woman to see a man as only a friend, we don't just assume that he has a romantic interest in us. Okay, so he typically becomes infatuated/obsessed with the girl and starts doing all these nice things for her. She thinks he's a really nice guy (at first) and that he's doing those things because he's nice, NOT because he expects it to lead to a relationship. Eventually, he starts exhibiting the behaviors mentioned in the first post, which to be honest, is quite frightening for a woman. It turns out that this guys isn't so "nice" afterall...he lied, plotted, hid his intentions, misled and attempted to trick her into loving him. He feels "entitled" to that love simply because he was so "nice".

When women say that they want a "nice guy", they actually mean it. Their definition of what constitues a "nice guy" is very different from a man's definition. To a woman, a "nice guy" is not a man who just acts nice because he thinks if he does things for her it will make her want him or get him in her pants. If he wants those things, he's upfront and honest from the start...no pretending or being sneaky. He doesn't have to do nice things for her, he just has to be a caring, kind person, and not just to her, but to everyone.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I searched this thread to get a link to it for a thread in Mature Men's. I figured I'd give it a bump up because I think some of the newer members could benefit from it.