Terrified of going out, help!?

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello guys, I think I have a rather unusual problem. I'm all for going out, socializing, having some fun, opening some sets, all of that.I do most of that while i'm at university but when it comes to hang out on clubs and on any other place I always find a way out.

I've came to terms with it, I'm terrified of going out because of the crime situation in this city. I dont go out at night because I feel somebody is gonna jump me from nowhere and stab the hell out of me.When I'm in some part of the city I know little about I always feel like somebody is waiting to pounce. On top of that, everyone is talking all the time how this Y guy killed this other guy for his wallet in X place and it puts me on edge. Consider that this are not delusional thoughts, it's a fact that crime in this city is at least 2 times worse than the worst you can get in the US,even places like Compton and Flint.This has been the murder capital of the world several times.

On top of that, a while ago I decided to just face it and go out. I had a good time but coming home 3 guys jumped me and took my cell phone and my empty wallet (I hid it's contents somewhere else). How can people in this city manage to live peacefully with all those sharks around? :nervous:

What can I do guys, I'm desperate with this.

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All I can tell you is I have been all over South & Central America and nothing bad happened to me. I have went out in the big cities, and I have been to remote places where the whole town was checking me out because they hardly ever see Norte Americanos wandering about the city lol You have to make your own decisions regarding what you're comfortable with. Some people have repeat run ins and thefts and other people like me have zero problems even in the same areas. It may be a matter of the odds or might be that those people having problems are using poor judgement about how they move about and such, hard to say. Consider revising your methods of moving around the city.

Jaux

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to live in a city like that either, rather I wouldn't put myself in that situation. As part of your character you should be able to be 100% confident, but how can you attain confidence without feeling secure?

The answer is simple: Transfer to another university. The easiest and according to me smartest solution is to move.

Now if it really isn't as bad as you describe it, you have a phobia and you need put yourself into the spot enough times to push the limits of your comfort zone. There's no easy way here either - Just do it!

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys look at his location: Medellin, Columbia. Thats where Escobar ran his drug empire from!!!

If I was you I would move away from there, no way would I ever go out there and risk getting shot at for the sake of pvssy. Not worth it.

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shadowfox, It's not like I have any choice. There's a monetary factor involved in studying in another country. I tried it in LA but it was too expensive for a foreigner. For now, I'm stuck in here for two to three years.

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hello op..
if its as dangerous as you say perhaps it is best that you do stay around uni and do only uni events. theres really no benefit to going to clubs anyway.. the musics loud so you have to practically scream to talk... its crowded/sweaty and generally there are no quality girls ther.. ii dont know too many people who met there wife at a club and if they did it didnt last..
so uni is better at the club

a side point.. people can smell fear.. by you being terrofied to go out its all in your body language and people are going to see it and your going to be there target.. if your in a dangerous neighborhood or place where you feel hostility the best thing to do is walk like your the baddest mofo on the plant... most petty theives will look for a more submsiisive looking target..
gl whatever you choose keep us posted
-chris

Reaction score
well I havent been where you stay.. I've around the world, and I havent been missed with, but maybe they sense your fear with a combination of you being at the wrong place at the right time for them to pull something.. stick around the university if its that bad, not sure if its badder than chicago, i dunno i cant walk down the streets on certain blocks or its lights out. lol

Lion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nygard, let this be your motivation to train in martial arts

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
have you tried going out with a group, instead of solo?

I mean, if you're afraid of getting jumped, makes sense don't it?

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'ts not like FARC rebels are hiding behind trash cans and jumping out after people, lol. Be careful which cars you get into, what parties you go back to, and of your surroundings. Sometimes things are not avoidable, those are the risks of living life as opposed to being a hermit. Your country is up and coming in tourism and will probably be flooded with so many Europeans and US citizens before long you'll have bigger worries than local criminals--how to deal with all the idiots running around flashing cash and driving prices up