Stuck in (absent) career

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You had a C++ job for 4 years before college, then avoided getting a bachelor's in computer science, and avoided getting a master's in computer science. Isn't that a weak CV for a software engineer?
Yes it is. But on the other hand it's a stronger economist. I'd say IT experience plus the current degrees is stronger than spending a lot of years in school studying stuff I already know.
I mentioned C++, computer science and software engineer - and you replied talking about IT experience and your economics degree. There is a theme in our conversations - I point something out, and you have to explain it from your point of view. Your CV lacks an MBA, but you claim your master's and undergraduate degrees are an MBA equivalent. You ask people to think of you as a software engineer, but your CV has no degrees in computer science.

A company doesn't need to take a risk on you when they have other candidates who have a degree in computer science. Even when a company wants to risk it, your C++ experience is from long ago (before your degrees), suggesting you haven't worked as a software engineer in a long time. I'd recommend you get on one of the code competition websites and start trying to solve problems by writing C++ code. That will give you feedback on how many typos you make, and how well you solve easy vs hard problems. Unlike an interview, if you make a mistake your code won't compile or won't solve the problem. You will get unbiased feedback, which I think you might need.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What I think I've realised is that my choices were right: I left IT and entered business/economics. I can't currently make it work, so I tried IT again too just like blue-collar jobs, but the bottom line is to make the business/economics career work.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
**disclaimer!!** I am gonna be hard on you!!

You need tp wake the F up.

Right now you aren't in the position to pick "fun jobs ". You aint 22 anymore. You started this training program with a clear goal. The goal was to get a steady income and to fill up the hole in your resume.

Simply embrace it. Life has his funny ways of rewarding us when we least expect it. For all you know you are doing plumbing work for someone whose actually impressed with your background AND has the ability to provide you with a job in a field you studied.

When life gives you lemons make lemonjuice, or even better ,make an existing amd fancy lemon coktail .
I think I feel ya. I'm having a crisis over all of it (head spinning/computing like hell but getting nowhere), but here's how I view it right now, taking into account some other aspects of my life:

So, previously my life was "sophisticated", a STEM job, travelling, culture, fancy studies. Now it's blue-collar, and even if I get a job after the training, no significant money. I would likely any day choose a "sophisticated" job, but don't see how. And it would be nice with money, to go out and eat, and buy some clothes.

The advantage is that I in this phase can relax and repair my self esteem, and focus on getting my d1ck wet/game functioning.

Change is hard. Girls are good at it, they just laugh and giggle at something which is messed up, such as them getting fcked. I don’t have any sensible thing to say about why and how one should adapt to failures, them partly caused by oneself.

I don't get why so simple insights take so long time, now assuming they stick and are correct.

Last edited:

BoomToTheMoonAlice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am career wise stuck at the moment, and have run out of ideas. I currently train for becoming an insulation fitter (a speciality within plumbing), 4 months or so, that might lead to an income. Better than being unemployed — Perhaps. The work is just so simple that I get severe depression symptoms due to the lack of stress and challenge.

About me:
  • Master’s degree in finance from a reputable Swedish university
  • Bachelor is marketing management/general economics from Norway
  • A well-written CV and cover letters, although they are traditional
  • Attended a LinkedIn webinar on the topic of job hunt which is supposed to be “modern” and “advanced”, but it was not much new
  • Sent over 200 applications in south of Sweden/Denmark over about 1.5 years. Fintech, IT, economics, finance, blue-collar jobs too
  • I have IT skills, been working 4 years commercially as a C++ engineer for a large telecom company, and many years before that in open-source/various projects. My skills are somewhat old school (for instance no cloud), but a good programmer and founded in computer science though no formal education on this front
One can view me as “Software engineer with MBA” or “economist with a master’s”.

Drawbacks:
  • There’s currently an economical recession over here and some analysts say it will get worse/stay the same for 2024 before correcting. If my solution is better times it means waiting maybe five years
  • There seems to be few junior jobs out, basically all jobs ask for experience
  • Never worked in finance, and it’s now about 3 years since I took the degree. I studied jazz piano/sabbatical for two years after it (career wise stupid, thought it would work out)
  • Further large gap in CV due to studies after work and personal tragedies
  • Getting old, 39. Sometimes it feels like I’m poor at adaptation and learning new things
  • I’ve been in 18 processes, digitally and in person. I’m good at that I would say
  • But: in essence I don’t beat the competition or manage to convince I’m a good hire
I want to break the spell and get a somewhat decent and relevant job that leads somewhere.

Any ideas?
Why the fk wouldn't you get a PGCE?!? That and IB training gets you a six-figure job doing fvk all in China or in the UK. There is a massive teacher shortage all around the world, you can easily pick up a math job anywhere on Earth at the moment. I was offered a job this weekend teaching at the university level with just a Bachelor of Art and Science. You have a master's... The average PGCE will take you 8 months of full-time study but after that it doesn't matter how old you get, once you have a PGCE/QTS, they'll hire you into your 80s. I just noticed you can offer dual Finance/Music specialties. Those are in high demand in INTERNATIONAL schools abroad. Montessori and Waldorf schools offer programs like that too... again, half a year gets you in. I met some guys chilling at some private school in Puerto Vallarta, what an easy day. Lay on the beach till your class, go in do your thing, go back out, and lay on the beach again. C++ is for nerds, come teach dude, pick up chicks all day long, and kick your heels while they pull their hair out. These jobs are piss easy, those IB nerds teach themselves and the harder you are on them the more their parents love you. Teaching is just telling interspersed with bouts of telling people in the back to stfu!

Here's a couple of job ads I just plucked out of the air.

Shanghai Yucui Education Investment manages the delivery of international degree programs in China for Australian and UK universities. We have challenging and rewarding positions for experienced personnel to assist in combined teaching and management positions. Currently we need teachers for a university in Changsha city starting from February, 2024.

Duties involve:
Weekly workload:No more than 24 periods (45minutes each)
Subject: Business/Accounting/Economics
Monday to Friday (no weekend teaching)
Age of students : college students

Requirements
Master's degree in Business/Accounting or relevant majors
Minimum 2 years teaching experience (preferably in China)
Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated qualities of tact and diplomacy together with a sensitive regard for differing cultures.

Benefits
Competitive salary of up to 25,000 RMB per month
Free accommodation
Relocation reimbursement
Travel reimbursement of up to 8,000 RMB
Chinese Public holidays
Visa reimbursement and insurance included

Job highlights

Work visa Transportation allowance Medical & accidental insurance

Language

• English, Fluent
Jobs Available

We are looking for professional and optimistic high school teachers majoring in Math / Chemistry / Physics / English / Economics needed to teach courses in our outstanding A-level programs in China! We offer competitive salary, benefits, professional curriculum and support to our teachers.

Job Title:
IGCSE / A –Level Economic&Business Teacher ;
Start Date:Feb,2024

Job Description:
1. Average of 20 teaching hours per week in assigned subject areas of expertise.
2. Teachers are expected to design daily lessons aligned with curriculum learning plan and objectives, as well as design quizzes, tests and/or any other assessments. All teachers will receive guidance from the Head Teacher who will coach and support them.
3. Prepare students for IGCSE and A-Level examinations through intensive study sessions and Mock examinations.
4. Participate in all training and/or informative sessions on IGCSE and A-Level examinations to stay current on exam dates, content and other important updates.
5. Grade and keep accurate records of student work. Provide individual feedback to students (and parents during parent meetings and parent-teacher conferences).
6. Provide office hours and/or outside of class guidance for students.
7. Participate in faculty meetings, school events, and students activities as needed. We welcome candidates who are interested in starting any extra-curricular activities for students.

Qualifications:
Basic Requirements:
• University degree in education and/or subject-area field.
• 2 or more years of high school teaching experience, preferably A-Level teaching experience.
• An internationally recognized teaching qualification, such as degree in Education, CELTA, or teaching license.
• Commitment to a one-year contract or longer.

Preferred Qualifications:
• Familiar with IGCSE or A-Level examinations.
• Experience in teaching abroad, especially in China or other Asian countries.

Compensation:
Benefits:
• Salary from 20K-30K/mo
• Holiday allowance for winter and summer vacation
• A round trip flight ticket reimbursement after serving one full year under the condition of contract renewal.
• Commercial health insurance.
• Free accommodations on campus or housing allowance if accommodation cannot be provided.
• Visa application process support and legal working visa is provided by employer.

-------------

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I mentioned C++, computer science and software engineer - and you replied talking about IT experience and your economics degree. There is a theme in our conversations - I point something out, and you have to explain it from your point of view. Your CV lacks an MBA, but you claim your master's and undergraduate degrees are an MBA equivalent. You ask people to think of you as a software engineer, but your CV has no degrees in computer science.

A company doesn't need to take a risk on you when they have other candidates who have a degree in computer science. Even when a company wants to risk it, your C++ experience is from long ago (before your degrees), suggesting you haven't worked as a software engineer in a long time. I'd recommend you get on one of the code competition websites and start trying to solve problems by writing C++ code. That will give you feedback on how many typos you make, and how well you solve easy vs hard problems. Unlike an interview, if you make a mistake your code won't compile or won't solve the problem. You will get unbiased feedback, which I think you might need.
I'm not sure how much C++ is even relevant unless he is going to go work for game companies...most code is not being written in C++ at the Enterprise Level.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am career wise stuck at the moment, and have run out of ideas. I currently train for becoming an insulation fitter (a speciality within plumbing), 4 months or so, that might lead to an income. Better than being unemployed — Perhaps. The work is just so simple that I get severe depression symptoms due to the lack of stress and challenge.

About me:
  • Master’s degree in finance from a reputable Swedish university
  • Bachelor is marketing management/general economics from Norway
  • A well-written CV and cover letters, although they are traditional
  • Attended a LinkedIn webinar on the topic of job hunt which is supposed to be “modern” and “advanced”, but it was not much new
  • Sent over 200 applications in south of Sweden/Denmark over about 1.5 years. Fintech, IT, economics, finance, blue-collar jobs too
  • I have IT skills, been working 4 years commercially as a C++ engineer for a large telecom company, and many years before that in open-source/various projects. My skills are somewhat old school (for instance no cloud), but a good programmer and founded in computer science though no formal education on this front
One can view me as “Software engineer with MBA” or “economist with a master’s”.

Drawbacks:
  • There’s currently an economical recession over here and some analysts say it will get worse/stay the same for 2024 before correcting. If my solution is better times it means waiting maybe five years
  • There seems to be few junior jobs out, basically all jobs ask for experience
  • Never worked in finance, and it’s now about 3 years since I took the degree. I studied jazz piano/sabbatical for two years after it (career wise stupid, thought it would work out)
  • Further large gap in CV due to studies after work and personal tragedies
  • Getting old, 39. Sometimes it feels like I’m poor at adaptation and learning new things
  • I’ve been in 18 processes, digitally and in person. I’m good at that I would say
  • But: in essence I don’t beat the competition or manage to convince I’m a good hire
I want to break the spell and get a somewhat decent and relevant job that leads somewhere.

Any ideas?
Find work relevant to your field, even if its unpaid. I worked for an entire year in blockchain back in 2017 before they had business positions available. Eventually i broke into a business field in blockchain, transitioned to tech/gaming, and haven't looked back since. I went from making $80k a year to healthy 6 figures because I worked toward the larger vision. I even had my own youtube channel on blockchain. Still kept working my normal job during this time as well and just doing work on the side.

Trying to break into anything is difficult. Especially if you try to be like everyone else. I always made it a point to be different from everyone else. Hustle more, do what they won't do such as work for experience and not pay, work longer, etc.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much C++ is even relevant unless he is going to go work for game companies...most code is not being written in C++ at the Enterprise Level.
I've never heard anyone say they "have IT skills... as a C++ engineer" before OP did. I think they need a reality check more than a job search - which is why I suggested their test their C++ skills first. I agree C++ is less popular than Python or Java, although this 2023 data suggests C/C++ ranks 6th:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I've never heard anyone say they "have IT skills... as a C++ engineer" before OP did. I think they need a reality check more than a job search - which is why I suggested their test their C++ skills first. I agree C++ is less popular than Python or Java, although this 2023 data suggests C/C++ ranks 6th:
Less than C# too which is gaining ground significantly over Java in many areas.

Most places will not choose Java for new applications as it's severely limited now compare to C#(what Java should have become) and Kotlin(their version of C#), it's usually maintaining older ones since so many were written in Java back when it first came out.

Also few places are writing enterprise level code completely in Python...at best it's used for bits and pieces of stuff as it's not only very slow (unless you are using Cython which is actually C code in a Python wrapper) but also very clunky for any type of UI.