Speech clarity & Confidence

bluejay83

Don Juan
Reaction score
My self confidence has grown in leaps and bounds, so has my conversational/social skills.

Problem-is:
I don't speak clearly often.

I seem to talk with my mouth closed a bit, not very loudly with poor annunciation.

It seems to happen when I'm relaxed/lazy at home ,nervous or self-conscious.
If I'm having fun, relaxed & focused on a task I seem to be alot louder.

are there any posters here who have overcome this, or how can I learn to speak slower with proper annunciation.

can't afford a speech therapist.

PeakIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Public speakers are generally advised to slow down their speaking , so speak at half the speed you think you need to. one it helps you think about what your going to say and how you are going to pronounce each word and if you speak slowly you generally don't shout.

like2jam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Record your own speech and play it back. Listen again and then record it again. Try it with video too. You'll be amazed. At first, you might even be a little freaked out.

I learned this trick as a musician. Record what you just played and listen back. It makes you better as a musician so I'm sure it will make you better as a talker / speaker.

WoodB

Don Juan
Reaction score
The previous suggestions are very good. I would also get into the habit of reading passages from books and magazines aloud. I had a stammer as a kid so I read aloud from books to get better. Also, if you breathe slowly and stay as calm as possible, it helps. This even lowers your voice at times.

JBB84

Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading out loud. Another good rule of thumb when in the moment: Slower and lower.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The slowers and lowers have it.

You may still be awkwardly slow and low but at least they will understand you.

Plus you will be able to formulate your ideas better and keep secret conversations better!

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1- record your speech
2- use voice chat rooms to talk with strangers (hopefully there are some remaining )

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All previous posts are dead on.

People think "talking" is somehow "who we are" and can't be changed. But speaking slowly and clearly is a skill, just like any other skill.

Practice for twenty minutes a day, and you can't help but improve.

Since you mentioned you don't open your mouth enough, when practicing alone at home or in the car, specifically speak while opening your mouth as loud as possible.

The more you practice,the more it will become automatic, then when you're out and about, you won't need to think about it.

I used to walk like a hunched over troglodyte, but with consistent practice, while out walking every morning, I walk a LOT differently than I used to.

Consistent, DAILY practice is key.