Soy-Based Protein Powder with low/no phytoestrogens?

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know of a soy protein powder that has been treated to remove isoflavones?

They're steroid hormones, so I would think someone makes a 'charcoal filtered' brand or something.

Before someone flames this post, saying that I shouldn't be so worried about my aromatases, I want to say that I'm more concerned with the potential that it may affect my mental health in my golden years.

Just trying to be careful, but it's either soy, egg, or pea for me. Anyone prefer any of those?

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Soy unless fermented is absolutely toxic to our system. Great for raising estrogen levels, but obviously that's not what you want. There is plenty of research on this all over the internet. Its funny to me how soy got so popular in the past 10-15 years and it was being touted as a super food.

What they never told the consumer is the asian countries that use soy in their diet always use fermented soy for the most part and its NOT as big a part of their diet as marketing companies selling soy here make it seem.

Stick to whey or egg protein for higher protein content, taste and bio-availability.

PIMP

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Soy is a pretty useless protein supplement unless you're baking with it or have serious issues to every other kind of protein supplement out there.

As a dude you really shouldn't be considering supplementing with Soy due to what you said about phytoestrogenic compounds. There's proteins out there that won't make you crave shopping for shoes, but still have high bioavailability and rapid absorption. Whey isolate being a great choice. If you can't tolerate whey, consider Egg, or other protein sources like Casein.

Why do you want to take Soy anyways?

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Milk allergy.

Egg is an option, but I heard it gives you terrible eggy gas and that's something I'd like to avoid!

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there a reason you cant take whey? They do make whey sans lactose. If you wont take whey then find a good egg protein. I dont kow why on God's green earth you would want to take soy....unless you want to be weak and minimize your gains. It is largely a useless protein for size and strength. Not to mention the phytoestrogen thing (which by the way hasnt been proven definitively, but better safe than sorry).

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When that big whey shortage was coming everyone was saying the new big thing was

GEMMA protein.

You might want to check that out...although the taste is an acquired taste.

It doesnt really taste like anything but it will have a taste that you will remember.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lactose allergy. Not anaphylaxis, but severe symptoms that I won't bother getting into.

Never even heard of brown rice protein, but as long as it dissolves in water and doesn't taste like complete SHT I'm going to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

cosmopolit

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am supplementing with soy protein. I did hours of research in several languages on the topic of soy and increasing estrogen levels and came to the conclusion that it's bull**** by the whey lobby :D There are some studies which out there, you just have to google. You would have to take insane amounts of soy protein each day to notice a minimal if even existing effect. Besides that, there are quite a few vegan bodybuilders and fighters who supplement with soy and they do not look as if they have low testosterone at all.

I do not work out with weights but I have managed to gain about 9 pounds of lean muscle mass in the last couple of months (by grappling about 10 to 12 hours a week).
Cheers

B012

Don Juan
Reaction score
I only use whey protein myself, but i have read positive reviews about hemp protein - maybe you should try that? Before you ask the positive reviews were on bodybuilding sites/forums and not on some "legalise pot" website or something :p .