Sleeping thread

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys.... the title means everything....

So its 1 am... I can't sleep... yet at 11pm when I came home from work... exhausted.

What gives... gotta be at the gym at 6am and first meeting at 9am.

What's you guys way to sleep? Sleeping improvement methods?

There the no 30minutes before sleep screen rule that I've been trying... it works... sometimes just the computer screen reshoot me energy. Or another thing... when I get home... energy come back massivelly.

How so? What's your sleeping method to have a efficient 6-7 hours of sleep?

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep breathing and meditation works wonders

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One guy here used to drink camomile tea and watch episodes of River Cottage the English version. I think 15 minutes slow flow or Yin yoga and a chamomile tea would do wonders. For short-term relief taking two of those sedating antihistamine sure as hell will knock you out it's just not something you'd want to do every night

Last edited:

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys.... the title means everything....

So its 1 am... I can't sleep... yet at 11pm when I came home from work... exhausted.

What gives... gotta be at the gym at 6am and first meeting at 9am.

What's you guys way to sleep? Sleeping improvement methods?

There the no 30minutes before sleep screen rule that I've been trying... it works... sometimes just the computer screen reshoot me energy. Or another thing... when I get home... energy come back massivelly.

How so? What's your sleeping method to have a efficient 6-7 hours of sleep?
Meditate in the morning.
Eat a plant based diet instead of junk. Don't consume caffeine or sugar. Exercise.
Drink water before you go to sleep. Meditate before bed again.
Don't interact with your phone, computer or electronics with screens two hours before going to bed.
Sleep with your phone away from you.
Drink green or chamomile tea before going to bed.
Make your room extra dark for when you're going to sleep.
Clear your mind and make a to do list before bed so that you don't have racing thoughts and can actually relax.
Sweet dreams.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Meditation is great. The headspace app has specific meditations for sleeping.

I've been doing it for months now and it's improved my overall quality of mind.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I might try headspace. I have the same issues.

I need to be up at 06:30am every morning but that is regularly 7am and these days it's 07:15. I sleep at 12-2am and its ****ing up my focus.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try a wind down period...movies, books, etc.

You can't expect to sleep with adrenaline in your systen.

Then toward the end, something really boring, like dumba5s posters here on sosuave.:p

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There have been a lot of studies published lately about the effects of not getting enough sleep. It may be as bad on your health as being a smoker or being obese.

I can't consume caffeine within 8-10 hours of expecting myself to sleep.

Sneaky Pete

Don Juan
Reaction score
Meditate in the morning.
Eat a plant based diet instead of junk. Don't consume caffeine or sugar. Exercise.
Drink water before you go to sleep. Meditate before bed again.
Don't interact with your phone, computer or electronics with screens two hours before going to bed.
Sleep with your phone away from you.
Drink green or chamomile tea before going to bed.
Make your room extra dark for when you're going to sleep.
Clear your mind and make a to do list before bed so that you don't have racing thoughts and can actually relax.
Sweet dreams.
^^^^^ what he said!

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There have been a lot of studies published lately about the effects of not getting enough sleep. It may be as bad on your health as being a smoker or being obese.

I can't consume caffeine within 8-10 hours of expecting myself to sleep.
I used to go to bed after 1 coffee... at 10pm... likely my 5th in the day.

Masculinity has a great post... i'll add the Tea - Herbal to my routine and my streching yoga stuff, all this without any screen for 30minutes.

My schedule runs like this : 5:30 wake up alarm, 6am at the gym everyday (3 days squash, 3 days muscle, 1 day cardio run for 5km), shower and breakfast at the gym, office by 9am or 9h30am depending if the road still exist due to construction, working until 5pm on monday to wednesday followed by studies 3 nights (6pm to 10h30 monday tuesday, wednesday).... Working until 8 pm on Thursday and Friday and dancing 2 nights until 11pm (thursday friday)... however, thursday now... I do 1 hour of dancing instead of 3 and in bed around 9h30pm.

For the pass 2 weeks, i've been a mess in the schedule due to parties, traveling, sickness... 4am bed - 6 am up... seeking to get back in the frame above which made me feel the best I ever did.... but improve on the sleeping pattern. Cause, when I get home... 80% of the time there is a boost of energy which leads me to the ''computer etc..''

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take Melatonin, or even better, the natural sleep aid called "Midnight". Works great.

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To add to @Masculinity post... I put on chill ambient music on Pandora One that has a 15, 30, etc. min timer. I like that because I don't have to manually shut the device off. Don't do anything too stimulating up to an hour before bed.

I've had issues sleeping where I had midnight deadlines for school or I was studying anatomy up until 11:30 PM. I couldn't shut my brain off when I hit the sheets.

Some advice I got a while back was take out something really dry and boring like a service appliance owner's manual and start reading that. Boring af right? :lol:

I can play guitar for hours before bed. I have to forcefully put my guitar down 30 mins before bed and find something boring and numb to get me sleepy. If I feel mega alert, I'll take a full or half melatonin. It's not a cure-all, yet definitely, helps out.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a breathing trick you can do where you breath in for 7 seconds, hold for 5 and then breath out for 7 or something like that. It helps a lot, google it.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
1. A hot shower might relax you.

2. Set your alarm clock and then turn the clock backwards so you can’t see the display. Watching the time go by when you want to sleep is the worst thing you can do.

3. Don’t actually “try” to sleep. Just close your eyes and completely “let go.” Surrender to it, like you give up.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I take seroquill. It's a giant sleeping pill.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure about the hot shower. Normally lowering body temperature promotes sleep.

I think some form of stretching or yoga and 2 to 3 weekly massages r vital if yr lifting. Muscle tension is a BIG sleep killer.

I d suggest bit of gentle stretching or yoga while listening to some relaxing music. In bed progressive muscle relaxation followed by meditation. For an insomnia attack try a guided meditation eg. Headspace or Tara brach has free ones on her site.

Mleady

Reaction score
You can read a book until you are sleepy. I do it when I am too lazy to meditate.

oOh Nasty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to an audio book. Turn the volume low enough for it not to be bothersome, but loud enough for you to be able to make out what the reader is saying. Focus on the words and try not to think about falling asleep. Pick a reader who's voice isn't annoying for you to hear. This might work for some people. Might be similar to how people fall asleep during movies even though they want to keep watching.