Skinny guy needs your advice!

Dude2Stud

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello, well I'm a skinny guy willing to gain some muscle mass in the next months. My weight is 110LBS, 18 years, 5'7. Recently went to a nutriologist and said I should eat around 2250cals/day.

I have read Anthony Ellis program in gaining mass, which its true that all the info can be found in the internet but with the program it is easier for a beginner like me. I noticed that most of the products he used were EAS products such as Myoplex, Precision Protein, and others. Other products used are Ultra Fuel, L-Glutamine, Vitamin C.

This made me come into mind that it is as well a marketing bait.

I was about to buy all those products today at GNC although the guy who works there told me that if I wanted to gain mass I should go for GNC Weight Gainer 2200 and gave me this long explaination about carbs etc... He even said I can gain about 2kgs which is around 4 pounds per week which I think it is nearly impossible. (I don't know if he was trying to sell the store's product too, marketing).

He said that if I used Myoplex I'll look Bruce Lee type (which I don't like) and I prefer ganing muscle mass. Although Anthony Ellis using EAS products really pumped himself up and didn't looked Bruce Lee type.

These statements brought me to a confusion so I ended buying nothing because I want to analize the supplements as well as taking care of my economy.

So for you all experts who can give me an opinion i'll thank before hand. What should I aim for? (don't be afraid to put expensive supplements).

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
NEVER EVER listen to GNC people, you are right in saying they are just trying to sell you products, even if their explanations sound plausible to you, it's really all a load of crap.

The only supplements that IMO are worth taking for a beginner are:

- Whey Protein and Meal Replacements OR Protein Bars (choose wisely: I'd go for Myoplex, Met-RX and Cytosport on reputation)
- Multivitamin and Multimineral combo
- Fish Oil
- Creatine (Monohydrate or CEE)

When you progress and the gains slow up you can begin to try stuff like BCAAs and other amino acid products...

Try and avoid MOST commercial weight gainers, they are full of crap and far too expensive, you can easily make your own with protein powder, oats, milk, peanut butter and banana. If you have to get a commercial weight gainer I'd go for Cytosport's Cytogainer (it's the best commercial weight gainer out there), still with that said, money wise and nutrition wise you are better of with the homemade weight gainer...

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Start eating 3000 calories per day. Then bump it up to 3500. Start lifting big.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dont use supplements until your diet is nailed down. And 2250cals/day will not be enough if you want to put on a substantial amount of mass.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He even said I can gain about 2kgs which is around 4 pounds per week which I think it is nearly impossible.
It's perfectly possible.. using the sugar-loaded weight gain products he was trying to sell you. 3/4 of the weight would be blubber at least.

The usual drill for you my friend: 2g protein per lb bodyweight, plenty of clean carbs and good fats, 3000kcal or thereabouts - if you're not gaining weight then add more, EFAs, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, cardio to keep bodyfat off and the appetite up, good quality sleep, enough rest days, lift hard on a compounds-based routine and increase the weight in safe form/reps each workout.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
listen to everyone else....

Yes, boatloading carbs will make you gain weight, but it won't be good weight. Boatload the protein, and that weight you desire will be thrown on there.

Dude2Stud

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll go for Myoplex.

Next questons,

Should I start using creatine (CELL TECH) at beginning, during or at end of the gym session?

Should I take it only when I work out?

Should I not take it until I reach my plateau?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dude2Stud
I'll go for Myoplex.

Next questons,

Should I start using creatine (CELL TECH) at beginning, during or at end of the gym session?

Should I take it only when I work out?

Should I not take it until I reach my plateau?
You've bought CELL TECH? Well done. Buy creatine and dextrose seperately next time, it's cheaper. Gah..

Don't buy CELL TECH. Don't buy Myoplex. Do not buy protein bars. Do not have liquid meals unless absolutely necessary.

BUY FOOD, FRIGGIN HELL. D'you know how many eggs you could buy for the price of a protein bar? Three dozen where I come from. What's gonna be the better anabolic? You work it out!

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, i was gonna b!tch you out too ;)

cell tech at 110 lbs? creatine at 110lbs??? come on man, get some meat on those bones first... you need muscles to absorb the creatine ;)

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no bueno... here's the supplement you need..

ready???

it's a big secret... amazing...

it'll make you grow like nothing else...

ready??

a big, fat, juicy steak.

3 times a day.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dude2Stud
What do you guys think about Amino Fuel?
Please post up your current diet before anyone suggest more supplements. You could be using 10 different weight gaining supplements a day, but if your diet is sh1t, you aint going nowhere.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by alvatore
Dont use supplements until your diet is nailed down. And 2250cals/day will not be enough if you want to put on a substantial amount of mass.

The guy only weights 110 lbs. 2250 will be plenty for now. Much more and he would put on more fat than muscle.

Dude2Stud,

Myoplex works just fine (though I prefer Isopure for the taste). No (legal) suppliment is going to make a huge difference in weight gain. In fact you'd be better off if you ate all of your caleries in real food. MRPs like Myoplex are taken purely for their convenience when it's too much of a pain to cook.

Dude2Stud

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, when I gain more weight I'll throw more calories in, so as Shiftkey said I'll eat 2250 calories, although I'll make a nutrition plan of 2500, and try it. Yes i'll use Myoplex and combine it with food too.

Malachi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
no bueno... here's the supplement you need..

ready???

it's a big secret... amazing...

it'll make you grow like nothing else...

ready??

a big, fat, juicy steak.

3 times a day.

I get told this by everyone!, But why steak?....doesn't give me the impression it's a food that would gain you weight?.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
steak = high protein (very!) + promotes testosterone + creatine + a bunch of good stuff. Trust me, eat a couple pounds of beef a day, and you'll start adding beef to your body.

Malachi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
steak = high protein (very!) + promotes testosterone + creatine + a bunch of good stuff. Trust me, eat a couple pounds of beef a day, and you'll start adding beef to your body.
So is it worth eating steak if only for my evening meal?....as i won't be able to have it more than once a day.

but 5day's eating steak atleast once should help shouldn't it?.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Malachi
So is it worth eating steak if only for my evening meal?....as i won't be able to have it more than once a day.

but 5day's eating steak atleast once should help shouldn't it?.
Frozen minced beef is very affordable and has the same benefits as steak - just not the great taste!