Short Workouts, Bad Diet, Smoking

animal crackers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Howdy boyz

I have been working out consistantly for about a month now. I have worked out off and on in the past, and I love it. I feel so much more optimistic and relaxed now that I am lifting consistantly.

When I go to gym I fvcking bust my ass. I usually break it up into legs, chest tri, back bi. But if I havent worked out in awhile I just do full body to get back in it (is this good)?

However I only work out for maybe an hour tops, and I see guys in there when I get there that leave after I do. Honestly I feel like I had a good workout after that amount of time.

I also smoke about a pack a day (when I go out which is about every night :D )

And I eat almost all my meals out. I don't eat fries anymore I just get a few McChickens or something.

There are also times when I won't eat for like 7 hours.

My sleep is so fvcked up. I will sleep 5 hours 1 night 15 the next. Stay up for 2 days on adderall :woo: .

Drink about once a week or so...erm yea so now you know enough for a physical.

Is it pointless to work out?
How bad is fast food if you just drink water and chicken sandwitches/tacos?
How do you eat 6 meals a day conveniently?
Since Im not really quitting smoking right now should I try to cut up, would it help?

**** I always write a post and say wtf did I just write. I should probably take better care of myself.

Umm yea so Im gonna post this anyways for the hell of it.:woo:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Is it pointless to work out?
2. How bad is fast food if you just drink water and chicken sandwitches/tacos?
3. How do you eat 6 meals a day conveniently?
4. Since Im not really quitting smoking right now should I try to cut up, would it help?
1. Not in the slightest, it's one of the healthiest things you can do. And as you say, it gives you a kick. If you want to make serious gains you need to change your diet and sleeping patterns though.

2. It's pretty bad because it's processed, recooked or whatever, thus it's lacking in all the goodness of 'real' food, it tends to be improper food combinations (pro/carb/fat) and it's not cheap either - at least I couldn't afford fast food in the quantities I eat 'real' food. That said, it still contains key nutrients (PROTEIN) so once a day is fine - does your mental health a power of good too.

3. To tie in with 2., make that three prepared meals (as you'd normally do breakfast/lunch/dinner), one McDs or whatever and two big protein shakes - six meals fairly coveniently I'd say.

4. Smoking is a bad habit anyway, in my opinion you should worry about your cig intake rather than whether to bulk or cut (neither of which I believe in anyway).

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The smoking is a problem since it is an appetite suppressant, makes you lethargic and affects fitness.

When I quit smoking, I started eating 6-8 small meals a day, which not only helped the bulking process, but also helped to fill the gap left by the nicotine cravings. A big fear of ex-smokers is that they will put on weight, but that's a good thing when bulking; you just need to make sure the things you eat are productive to muscle gains and health.

I'd also give Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book a read. It's very motivating.

Going without eating for 7hours is another problem as it slows your metabolism and this is the period your body will resort to storing fat. The body feels starved so it will trigger an emergency mechanism. It may be a good idea to carry a protein shake with you to fill in these gaps.

Also, the quality of fast food is horrendous! I started reading a body building book by the wrestler Triple H who gives a good guide on what to eat while on the road. If you run an internet search, you may find a similar guide that will help you out.

It's not easy changing habits, and your habits aren't much different to the average guy, but to make the most of bodybuilding and fitness, you have to think like an athlete and take up their habits.

Hope this has helped. Good luck!

animal crackers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice guys. Working out really makes you feel better doesn't it? With the added bonus of big muscles!

How am I supposed to take a protein shake with me? Use a funnel and put the stuff in a water bottle? Wouldn't that get bad just baking in my car all day, and be disgusting to drink.

JoeBlack

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whilst its never pointless to workout, you have to consider that you are spending significant time in the gym and are seriously limiting your results.

Now, thats not pointless, but it is wasteful.

First off, you do not need to be an hour. Make each set, each rep count, and you do not need to be in there for longer than an hour, most of my workouts are 45-60 mins.

I would cut the smoking, thats a no brainer.

Eat BETTER. Diet plays a HUGE part in how you progress.

At least start spending some time preparing food, keep protein high and focus on less processed food. Apart from being helthyl, it will boost your results in the gym. You can't expect your body to grow on crap food.

Ever see the guys at the gym that go in week in, week out and never really change? Thats mostly because they eat rubbish, drink a load and live an unhealthy lifestyle.

I am not saying be square, never drink, eat nothing bad, but geta balance. Right now it seems you are more over the unhealthy side.

Try eating clean for 5 days of the week, then kick back over the weekend and chill out. Try and cut down smoking generally and bust your ass in the gym!

Deus

Don Juan
Reaction score
*ahem*

Sorry to interrupt, but I have a quick Q, kinda related to this, and you guys might be able to answer it.

How many times/day should a person eat, to keep the olde metabolism working hard at getting rid of ye olde fat?

AND, someone told me, that It's preffered to eat a prepared/cooked (ie warm) meals, than say, eating sandwiches and "cold" food..

2 cents anyone??

//Deus

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How many times? Depends on the individual, so it's impossible to say. Aim for six meals a day as a good rule of thumb.

As for hot or cold food, I suppose an argument could be made that the body burns some more calories when ingesting super-hot or icy-cold foods (to lower/raise the food's temperature for processing and whatnot) but it's not something I'd lose any sleep over.

Nothing wrong with cold cuts of beef or chicken sandwiches, either. If you mean pre-packaged sarnies then yeah, they're full of mayo, made with white bread, and other sh!te, avoid them.

Liamz

Don Juan
Reaction score
DON'T SMOKE
TRUST ME DON'T SMOKE

:(BESIDES FOR THE FACT YOUR TAKING LOADS OF YOUR LIFE AWAY YOUR DOING THE SAME TO OTHERS AROUND YOU, DAMAGING YOUR ORGANS, LIKE LIVER, KIDNEYS, HEART, LUNGS, AND FOR WHAT?

GIVE IT UP
GIVE *******IT ********* UP.[

Last edited:

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man you better change your lifestyle. What you are doing sounds like an early grave to me :D J/k but why not try and live a bit more healthy?

cigarettes shouldnt harm your muscle gain, but well better be worried about getting cancer. Take this from somebody who smoked from 11-17.

How do you eat 6 meals a day conveniently?
When you think of 6 meals you probably think of 6 big meals. I eat about 6 or 7 times a day, but it's like 2 cups of yogurt = 1st "meal", cornflakes = 2nd meal, chicken breast with rice = 3rd meal (only real "MEAL"..real meal lol) another 2 cups of yogurt, 2 slices of bread and whatever...u get the drift i guess. when guys say they eat 6 or 7 meals they probably dont eat (a lot) more than other people who eat 3 meals which are way bigger.