Setting up dates over AOL Instant Messanger--Good or Bad?

Dude Bob

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mkay, lemme set some background. The girl in question is a good friend of mine from school. We've known each other for about 7 years now. We have a lot of similar interests (for example, we're both on the debate team). Seeing as how I've never had a date (embarrassing to admit, I know) I figure she would be a fairly easy first choice based on how well we already know each other.

Now, I don't have her phone number, but I do have her AIM screename. What I am curious about is whether it is considered acceptable to set up dates using Instant Messanger.

For those of you who already know the answer, you're may be thinking that the question is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, for me it is not--I never learned manners very well. It would be nice to have a date with her but the friendship is too valuable to risk, so I want to make sure I know all the proper ettiquete (dear God I've forgotten how to spell) before I try it.

Thanks in advance.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How about you ask for her phone number via AIM? I'm sure she will give it to you since you have a great friendship with her.

Chemistry

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah, the good old date a school friend thing, lol... the memories... be warned success rate is not always high though

What you should do is just get her number at school. If you're not going to see her at school for a good while, i.e. you're on vacation, then speak to her on AIM and ask her if she wants to meet up and do something, with you specifying what you have in mind... then use that opportunity to get her phone number, and from then on call the girl...

It's foolish, and well, inexperienced to be talking to a girl on AIM to ask for her phone number, then calling her to organise something... but seriously, 7 years without your 'friend's' phone number!!?

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've talked to some of my female friends about this, and they think that guys that ask them out (or for a number) online are...

wussies

because they think the guy doesn't have the balls to ask them out in person. And women aren't attracted to wussies.