Self-Image, Self-Esteem, Self Confidence

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
www.psychlinks.ca
by Dr. David J. Baxter

"Self Image" and "Self Concept" are pretty much the same thing: this is the way you view yourself, your image of who you are as a person, your vision of your "identity", "the self", the core of your personaility.

Self-esteem is how you value the self-concept, the "valence" attached to your self-concept: For example, low self-esteem may result from someone who has a self-image or self-concept that is largely negative ("a bad person", "a loser", "stupid", "ugly", "clumsy"), whereas high self-esteem results from a positive self-concept ("a good peson", "a winner", "intelligent", "good-looking", "popular", "graceful").

Self-confidence is related to all three of these other terms but is independent and may be different in different situations: It's basically how capable or effective or likely-to-succeed the person believes himself or herself to be. For example, if I see myself (have a self-concept of myself) as capable and skilled and knowledgeable, I would probably feel confident at the beginning of an athletic competition or music competition or public speaking event; if I see myself as not very capable or skilled or knowledgeable, I would likely not feel very confident at all in such activities. On the other hand, I might have a lot of self-confidence in certain activities and low self-confidence in others."