SALSA-hint given-advice needed..

MoveYourAss...

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did put this in my BC-journal. But with the spectacular mass-bc (GOOD LUCK and BIG BALLS, guys !) It does not seem to get too much attention. I'd love your opinion:

quote:
-----
I'm taking SALSA-lessons in an open course. I STRONGLY suppose you try this. There are always more girls then guys. It teaches you postre, how to move sexually, with the lady, turn her on sensually, and you (me) learn to be DOMINANT (in a healthy way) since you have to give hear clear physical commands. And sensual, physical learning is often more effecive than any other training. The physical way to change things about yourself also works, its a comlementary approach. SALSA is also some great action, kino and FUN-activity. FUN is good for ya! And it is even better when experienced with a lady.

So there was this 7, named A who was a bit more experienced than me (in dancing, of course...). But it was nice dancing, there was some vibe. In the beginning she was a bit shy, avoiding EC (SALSA is ALSO a great EC-training !!!) but then we laughed over some mistake, I did some kino on her (only upper arm), she immediately replied.
In the end I danced a bit more with her, but then I became unconcentrated and told her that I have to leave. She told me earlier on that she invited her GIRLFRIENDS (!!!!!!) to party into her birthday (which is great since part of them already dances SALSA, the others might get into it. Good that I left, it would have appeared to needy to take the opporunity to invite myself. I was tired already, anyway.
I did however ask her if she would come again, ask asked her number. She gave me, was a bit insecure if I ment for dancing next week, I just said "I'll just phone you". She kind of expected my to give mine, but I didn't ;-))))) thanks !!! When she wrote it down she had to look it up! I busted her (but I didnt't really pull it) that she has to look up her own#, and that I hope its not the number of her Schäferhund (famous german dog). I think she liked it, but we didn't laugh fully into the others eyes or so (thats what i LOVE). I had to go an extra way to get pen and paper. How do you solve this if you have to give bag and jacket at the entry? AND IDEAS?

Now what to do:
1) tomorrow is her brithday, I think I'll write her an SMS. that would reveal my numer, however. What do you think?
2) what to do now:
a) go ahead with her prereading & trying BC stuff from later weeks? I think that could be too exhausting
b) just try to go ahead and get some experience
c) should I hook her up to be my dancemate? Dancing with her is really nice but at SALSA you can see/flirt/hug/kiss/lay some REAL hot women, and it's certainly wrong to kind'a settle for something a bit better than now. If I do not do this (this was the key-entry to the number close, somehow), how will I get into that circle with her and her girlfriends??
------
Some of the girlfriends are HOT.

BTW: BC ROOOOOOCKS,

MoveYourA$$...andyour brain will follow

sharkman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey there,
I've been involved in salsa and general latin dance for years, first as a dancer, then a teacher and now d.j. Over that time I have seen what you've seen: more women than men, the overt sexual overtones generated by the dance and the environtment, and the disproportionate number of hot women. Yes I have made moves on, dated and spent 'intimate' time with aforessaid ladies. However several things should be kept in mind:

1) It is a very tactile environment, so dont assume that even what might be considered intimate touching normally is that significant. But you better believe that sleazy touching will be spotted 10 miles away.

2) The salseros and salseras do tend to be a pretty close knit group especially if they've been in the area a while. Consequently you get a reputation real fast so you better make it a good one.

3) The dancing community tend to be very protective of each other, so hurt one, hurt them all! On the other side, one says something nice, you got alot of friends fast!

4) dance partners often are together off the dance floor, so watch those toes! On the other side, alot of people just go to dance with a variety of partners. If they are really good, they wont be impressed unless you are competent. If however you are something a bit special on the dancefloor, you dont have to try very hard to get attention lol (Seen more than is common in the way of uglier dudes with hot women: every one of the guys was a dancing god)

5) Lastly, most people go to dance and enjoy music and friends they have there. If you go in looking for women, you'll stand out like a sore thumb. Just enjoy the place, the music and the dance and its amazing how the ladies come to you, especially when you're a good dancer!

I've spent so many good times in this environment, I love the people and the music and the dance. I hope you get as much from it as I did and do. Plus good luck hunting yourself one of the foxes who do make a business of leading the men on a leash!

Sharkman - making sure its not safe to get back in the water

MoveYourAss...

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow sharkman !

Thanks a lot for letting me have a glimpse into your experiences.
I will print it for me, to go through again when going dancing / meeting salsa people.

Your hint about their group behaviour and the risk to be labelled as player are very helpful.
I will play it cool. No risk of oneitis here, just not what I want.

On the other hand, the women I want will also be looking for men, and they will be happy to see a new DJ on the scene.

Reputation is definitely important.

So to the situation: I will play this cool. :cool:. I got a bit overexcited since it's in my eager and successful first week on BC and I got my first number in months.

The last sentence I didn't get (language problem). What do you mean?

BTW: liked your signature .:cool:

MoveYourA$$... and your brain will follow. (unknown)

comote

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been involved in the salsa scene for 2-3 years and just moved to a new place. I am ok, but there are some amazing dancers here as well.
Anyways, my dancing is more unique than amazing(I'm good but in a different way than most around here).
I have found is that as long as you are pretty good it is better to be good or at least competent in a unique way rather than be really amazing in the same way as everyone else.
That said develop your own style, you should stay within certain parameters that will make you relatively easy to dance with but don't become a clone of some local instructor.
The way to do this is to learn from a variety of sources.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Blimey,

I was thinking of going along as a complete novice:

a)to have some fun

b)loosen up and learn some moves

c)face my social phobias

but from what you say, sounds like I would get a cold reception.

Do you usually have to take a partner then? :(

Allen

Reaction score
Salsa

I wanna go as a novice to. I just wasn't sure of what to expect. I'd be there to sincerely learn salsa...

sharkman

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey dudes,

sorry for the delay, lost track of this thread. Right first off my point in my final sentence was basically saying that if you go in looking and acting like a player you will be very obvious, so soave is the way!
As for you guys looking to put on those dancing shoes dont think twice about turning up on your own to salsa events! People are usually delighted to see fresh blood and eager to see how you measure up as a dancer/potential dancer. Just go with an attitude that shows you are interested in the dancing as well as the ladies and you'll be fine. Just dont sleaze at any cost!

Take care and baile salsa!

Sharkman - making sure its not safe to get back in the water

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm starting a rolling 8week begginers class next week.

It's just up the road too. I won't make any moves , don't want to sh1t on my own doorstep so to speak.

I'm also thinking that it will prevent me becoming one of those 'oh no Dad' type dancers you get at wedding Discos:D :D

I'm pleased I've taken some action anyway!

Cheers