Running

firestarter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like a few tips on running:

How much to run?

Correct methods of running?

Is it better than jogging slowly for long distances?

How and how much will it help ?

Thanks

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Very vague/ generalised questions.

Are you running for cardio vascular performance, or weight loss? I personally would suggest high performance running (high km/hr, short duration) for both (similar principles to HIIT training) performance and weight loss. Long duration, low intensity running is good also for "fat burning"/ weight loss, though can be very boring, and there are better alternatives.

One of the main pointers for running is always look straight ahead of you i.e. don't run with your head bowed down as this constricts your trachea (windpipe) - the amount of air/ oxygen getting to your lungs. Also, employ your arms when running (i.e. "swinging motion" which helps to burn more calories/ warm up the whole body).

Pavement/ "road" running is easier than say running on a treadmill, grass or sand as you get more of a "bounce" from the surface, though is harder on the joints/ muscles.

- B.A.

firestarter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but could you tell me how much running ie duration or distance would be good ?

And is it advisable to run every day ?

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally am able to run 6 days a week without suffering an injury, though you've got to train smart.

You still haven't told me why you want to run, and because you haven't, it's alot harder to help you :)

- B.A.

Reaction score
Try to run as far as you can in twelve minutes. Easier to work this **** out on a treadmill..

I can do about 2.2km. Ain't great - aiming for 3km.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Y Trallwng Am Byth
Try to run as far as you can in twelve minutes. Easier to work this **** out on a treadmill..

I can do about 2.2km. Ain't great - aiming for 3km.
I did the Cooper Test/ (12 minute run/ walk) last Monday and managed only 2200 metres myself (37 laps of a 60m track). I can assure you that, although 2.2km isn't breath taking, going by the results of all the Sports Science classes at my college, it is a respectable distance and would rank quite high up if you performed the Cooper Test on any 100 members of the public.

On a side note, if you can run 1.5 miles (2400 metres) in under 11 and a half minutes you've passed the British Army's "Cooper Test" Standards. You have to wear boots of course though :p

- B.A

firestarter

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm basically want to run to keep fit and to lose some flab here and there.

Will running give me a more defined body ?

I used to do the slow jog thing and I would run more than 2 kms everyday, but it gets a bit boring. Thats the reason im looking towards running.

So how much time would be ideal ?

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
to burn fat you must run at least 20 minutes. HIIT training is good for this. If you don't have the time to run 20 minutes, then don't run at all, it won't do you any good. Remember the 20 minute mark, and run :) Preferably not on the streets, go run in the woods or on grass (soccer field and such), it's better for your knees when you turn 50 =)

20 minutes.

Reaction score
20 minutes I suppose would be OK if you were doing just running, but I don't recommend this. You'll end up like a stick.

Combine 12 mins running with other activities.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I swear to God, 20 minutes is needed to burn actual fat ... 12 minutes is useless if he want's to burn fat (which he wants as he states in his post). Your abs will say hello in less then three months if you do this.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charisma
I swear to God, 20 minutes is needed to burn actual fat ... 12 minutes is useless if he want's to burn fat (which he wants as he states in his post). Your abs will say hello in less then three months if you do this.
hi, I had a similar question to this b4..check out my post here...but in particular read what the other guy posted about HIIT training.

heteropedro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I love running. Running is the best dude. I run for 30mins like 4 or 5 times a week. Its great. I lost a little more than 20lbs in 2 months. The adorphin feels great after u run aswell.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pulsar
hi, I had a similar question to this b4..check out my post here...but in particular read what the other guy posted about HIIT training.
I don't quite understand what you are asking .. didn't this post answer your question about burning fat ?

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charisma
I don't quite understand what you are asking .. didn't this post answer your question about burning fat ?
sorry, yeah...I think I may have gotten confused with what you were asking....but

HIIT is what others have mentioned in your thread and you can find some info here.

HIIT
http://forums.menshealth.com/thread.jsp?forum=5&thread=32790

Check this website out for correct running form. I used this recently and its made a huge difference in allowing me to increase the length of time and distance I can run without back pain etc.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
to burn fat you must run at least 20 minutes. HIIT training is good for this. If you don't have the time to run 20 minutes, then don't run at all, it won't do you any good. Remember the 20 minute mark, and run Preferably not on the streets, go run in the woods or on grass (soccer field and such), it's better for your knees when you turn 50 =)

20 minutes.
I think I need to disagree with this. Almost all of the HIIT programs I have seen talk about maybe 12-17 minutes at most. No one hits 20, or more than 20 mins with HIIT, and I think it's probably because if you do it right, your body can't take too much more. Thus we have the High Intensity.

If you want a sample workout, try this.

Jog about 50% for 2-3 mins to warm up.
Run 95% 30 secs. 1
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 2
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 3
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 4
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 5
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 6
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 7
jog 50% 30 secs.
Run 95% 30 secs. 8
jog 50% 30 secs.
Jog about 50% 2-3 mins to warm down.

Total time: 12-14 mins.

Total work done: Priceless

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This would be 20 minutes of plain running/kogging, not HIIT. And the 20 minutes is because you have to have a fast (running) heart rate for more and no less then 20 minutes to burn that fat, it's a fact.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh I see the confusion, I meant 'HIIT is good for burning fat', as you see I keep talking about running afterwards. Sorry, hope I didn't **** anybody's routine :)

Runna13=)

Don Juan
Reaction score
I run cross country and track for college. I started in high school, was really weak at first, and is now a 4:30 miler, went to state championships, etc. I started somewhere and you have to, too.

How to begin?
It sounds like you're a beginner. I suggest you start with a run/jog/walk of 2 miles for a week. Every week, add a mile. So in a month and a half, you'll be up around 10k (meters)a day. My average mileage is 10+ miles a day, so I think your max should be around 6.

Biomechanics?
Run tall, don't hunch.
Pump your arms straight through at hip level. Your arms never cross your body.
Don't overstride. Don't land on your heels.
Land on the balls of your feet.
Be relaxed.
Don't shrug your shoulders.

Run everyday?
I do, since I'm a competitive runner. For you, I think you should try to run everyday with one day a week for rest or cross training.

Cross-training?
Try swimming, biking, lifting weights, elliptical trainer at the gym<<<very good, etc.

These are very general ideas from me. Give me more info about your situation and I can help you better. More advanced workouts i can give you are lactate-threshold workouts<<<<burns the fat, tempo runs, etc. Hope these work and tell me about your results.

Runna13=)

Don Juan
Reaction score
One more thing, warm up with at least a mile. Stretch, then do your workout. Stretch when you are done with the workout as well. Also, try to do several sets of ab work and pushups everyday.

And about those HIIT workouts. For real runners, they are called lactate threshold workouts. Basically, they are intervals run at 100%. What i typically do are 20x400 meters, 5x1 mile, or something like that. I have never seen any LT (lactate threshold) workout last less than 20 min. Mine last at least 45-60 min. I don't know how well these 20 min HIIT work, but I feel the more time you invest, the faster and better the results.

Reaction score
Ran 5km for the first time today...for you runners out there, is a time of 26 mins 20 secs for this poor, ok, or good..?