Running plan?

Dr.LASR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello all again.
Recently decided I preferred running to weight lifting, and was wondering what I should do, as I have no experience what-so-ever.

I'm 6'1" and weigh 205 pounds. Looking mainly to lose fat, not build muscle.
Can anyone recommend good programs or show me one that would most benefit me? Thanks in advance.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just go down to a field near here and run end to end for 10-20 minutes.

Time yourself to monitor improvements and adjust speed.

Currently 4-5 times a week. That in addition to 4x strength training per week, keeps me in better-than-average shape.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sorry to say but running is a waste of time, and very damaging to your body. you will burn more fat doing some type of circuit training with machines and weights, and some form of sprints.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats a broad and inaccurate statement.

Nothing unhealthy about 10-20 minute runs.

I would agree if you are doing long-distance aerobic training, but short sessions is no problem.

You progressively increase your speed and intensity while maintaining the total length of the training session.

Many people are not physically capable of doing effective sprinting/HIIT sessions at their current level of fitness. They would be better off walking, then running, then eventually getting into sprinting and HIIT.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I run ten 40 yard sprints twice a week, resting about 10-15 seconds between each of them. I also walk about 2 miles twice a week (mainly do this for cardio and my lower back). I had an injury to my back and I don't like doing prolonged running because of the impact. I try to do the sprinting barefoot on sand or grass as well.

Epimanes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just monitor your heart. Stay around 70% of ur max heart rate. To calculate max heart rate its 220 - age is max. If u go over ur 70% range ur not doing your self any favors.

C

Culver

Hi everyone!!!!According to me running is a waste of time, and very damaging to your body. you will burn more fat doing some type of circuit training with machines and weights, and some form of sprints.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Running is a stupidly inefficient way to lose fat, in fact cardio as a whole is extremely inefficient for that purpose. Fat loss is primarily diet, intermittent fasting will give you far better results than running.

Dr.LASR

Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
Running is a stupidly inefficient way to lose fat, in fact cardio as a whole is extremely inefficient for that purpose. Fat loss is primarily diet, intermittent fasting will give you far better results than running.
What exactly is intermittent fasting?

Archer 22

Reaction score
Hey if you want to lose your weight you need concentrate on your diet,make a diet plan which contains on vegetables and fruits.you will suffer but defiantly u will get something huge in back and that will be a complete weight lose.
Avoid junk food and fast food.
Eat boiled food.
surely you will see the difference.

the_stig

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
Lol.. ever seen a dedicated runner that is fat? Yes diet is like 70% of weight loss, but if you cut the sweets out of your diet and run a minimum of 20 minutes several times per week the weight will fall right off.

There are many health benefits from running. Google it.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another know-it-all.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the_stig said:
Lol.. ever seen a dedicated runner that is fat? Yes diet is like 70% of weight loss, but if you cut the sweets out of your diet and run a minimum of 20 minutes several times per week the weight will fall right off.

There are many health benefits from running. Google it.
Ever seen a dedicated runner that has a large amount of muscle? No, they don't exist. If you're running just to be lean and don't want muscle, cool go ahead. But if you're an individual who lifts properly and has good muscle mass, you don't want to have to sacrifice your muscle gains to get lean. Cardio is supremely inefficient at consuming energy, it has to be because it's a basic survival instinct. If our species did expend a huge amount of energy because of cardio, we'd be dead. Hunter/gatherers would never have survived. Lifting weights, especially the compound lifts, is actually superior at burning calories anyway.

All I'm saying is that cardio gives you incredibly poor results for the amount of effort put in. There are also numerous health risks caused by running, google it.

Cutting out sweets and running several times a week will work, if you're a fat individual. Try doing that little when you're trying to get sub 10% body fat. It's not that simple.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
Ever seen a dedicated runner that has a large amount of muscle? No, they don't exist. If you're running just to be lean and don't want muscle, cool go ahead. But if you're an individual who lifts properly and has good muscle mass, you don't want to have to sacrifice your muscle gains to get lean. Cardio is supremely inefficient at consuming energy, it has to be because it's a basic survival instinct. If our species did expend a huge amount of energy because of cardio, we'd be dead. Hunter/gatherers would never have survived. Lifting weights, especially the compound lifts, is actually superior at burning calories anyway.

All I'm saying is that cardio gives you incredibly poor results for the amount of effort put in. There are also numerous health risks caused by running, google it.

Cutting out sweets and running several times a week will work, if you're a fat individual. Try doing that little when you're trying to get sub 10% body fat. It's not that simple.
Sigh where do I even Fu(ken begin. If anyone here has not played any type of heavy contact sport and played it at a semi high level as in regional/national representative then please keep your cardio is rubbish mentality out.

Having said that I have played and repped my country at the top level and all our training through high school and university involved a tonne of cardio in the early morning before breakfast and a tonne of weights in the late arvo. Almost like military training, yes the gains did not come over a period of 12 months more like 2 years but training like this gave me a solid foundation to be able to pack on mass quickly and lose fat just as quickly.

Think about it most athletes eat live and breath their sport and that's why they are in top notch condition all year round with explosive power and stamina. The explosive power comes from strength training things like dead-lifts squats power cleans kettle-bell work sprints HIIT. The stamina comes from good old boring cardio as in swimming rowing biking running skipping.

I have never had any problems with doing cardio and gaining mass, unless you're looking to just pack on heavy mass and look like a muscle bound stud go ahead do no cardio, but I bet my bottom dollar that a person that does cardio and weights will sh!t all over the muscle heads when it comes to explosive speed and strength.

So basically stop arguing about cardio and just do it all forms of it and add in some serious strength training at least 3 times a week and give it TIME as in 12 months to 24 months and you will see huge improvements. Even today at a chubby 85kgs and not having trained in 18 months I can still sprint a sub 11 second 100m and still run non stop for 2 hours, I can still bench 100kg squat 160kg and deadlift 180kgs and I have done cardio nearly half my life.

Cardio + Strength training = Foundation for all major sports. And a great way of staying in decent shape for life.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You've missed the point entirely. I was arguing against dedicated running and wasting immense amounts of time trying to lose fat through cardio. It's simple really. If you eat enough, do cardio and lift; you'll do incredibly well. But if you're doing intense cardio, lifting and eating at a caloric deficit; you're probably asking for severe metabolic damage.

I'm not arguing against cardio, I've played rugby and water polo(at a regional level) all my life and loved it. I'm arguing against cardio for fat loss as it's extremely inefficient and people take it overboard and do themselves severe damage. Obviously if you're eating enough, gaining mass whilst doing cardio is no more difficult. Just understand what my point is.

Eilven

Reaction score
Running is the best way to get fitness. It is the best exercise for the whole body. Running increases our stamina and physical strength. I am also a runner and do 30 minutes running everyday.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
actually, swimming is far better, well proven by Jack LaLanne, to age 94 he remained potent and able to kick ass. The cool water causes you to use FAR more calories than anything done in the air, and it uses mostly arms, so you get that tapered torso look, and it's no impact at all, so it's much, much better for your knees, hips, back, ankles and feet.

Martin1400

Reaction score
Hey guys!!Running is best exercise for the physical fitness and health, running
is also effective for the losing weight. Because running of the 30 min burns
up up more than 300 calorie consumption.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
running nearly always leads to injuries, plain and simple. It's just too damned much impact, and likelihood of sprains , twists and "pulls". You don't need it, especially if its not done on soft sod, sand, or a rubber treadmill. Instead, do rowing, swimming, bicycle, stair stepping, "skiing", or a mix of these.