quit smoking, should i start drinking coffee?

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so im in the process of quiting smoking (man this is painful).

i've never been a coffee drinker but i am thinking of taking it up.

what do you coffee drinkers think about your addiction to coffee? do you wish you could stop, or do you enjoy it?

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
eat now and laters!...works for me...going strong 3 weeks now cold turkey...i hardly even feel cravings anymore

cinnamon flavored toothpicks are good too...you cant order them online..i dont where what stores would sell them, they are hard to find.

reset

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude as someone who smokes AND drinks too much coffee, don't do either. I'm having trouble with BOTH of them. I've done much better with the coffee, but smoking is tough. Don't replace one thing that's bad for you with another.

Of course, I was at like 5 or 6 16oz glasses a day. That stuff pumps you up but you drop down HARD. Not to mention, it can make you anxious, and it screws with your sleeping patterns. And when you are on a caffeine withdrawl you are EXHAUSTED. Not to mention the headaches.

Good for you Ken, three weeks is awesome. :up:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Good. In moderation, there is nothing I have seen that proves coffee to be bad for you. There are at least some marginal health benefits:
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food
At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

Do yourself a favor, and buy a grinder so you can get whole bean. Keep them in the freezer. Freshly ground coffee is ten times better. I like 8 O'Clock as a decent brand for the price. Anything with spanish or french on the package is almost always good, too. Florida has some great Cuban coffee.

And decaf is not coffee, in case that idea occurs to you. Decaf is an insult to coffee.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

Good. In moderation, there is nothing I have seen that proves coffee to be bad for you. There are at least some marginal health benefits:
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food
At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

Do yourself a favor, and buy a grinder so you can get whole bean. Keep them in the freezer. Freshly ground coffee is ten times better. I like 8 O'Clock as a decent brand for the price. Anything with spanish or french on the package is almost always good, too. Florida has some great Cuban coffee.

And decaf is not coffee, in case that idea occurs to you. Decaf is an insult to coffee.
makes sense...i already get to tweaking and shaking after a couple cups of coffee...or energy drinks...those things are too good man...CRACK IN A CAN!!

Rudra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I´ve actually kicked my nicotine addiction with the help of coffee.
There´s studies around that prove that nicotine, caffeine and even alcohol act in a quite similar way upon the brain. There´s proof around that even alcoholics feel less withdrawal when they are on a caffeine high.

So I personally started drinking looots of coffee when I stopped smoking. Like 1,5-2 liters a day. Nothing you would want to do forever, but for the first month or 6 weeks it definitely helps you get off cigarettes. Try it.

Bvbidd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a pack a day smoker / 6-7 cups of coffee. Can't help ya there. ;)

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this girl i used to talk to loves coffee...drinks a few cups a day...is basically immune to it now...she can drink a few cups at night and still be able to go to bed.

DonJuan11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bvbidd said:
I'm a pack a day smoker / 6-7 cups of coffee. Can't help ya there. ;)
That will turn the ladies on. Good way to die early.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DonJuan11 said:
That will turn the ladies on. Good way to die early.
people always say that 'don't smoke you'll die early.' smokers don't care. i mean, if the goal in life was to 'live as long as possible and avoid all risks that might shorten your life span' then no one would drive a car, or drink, or have sex with anyone but a virgin, or expose their skin to anything more than 5 minutes of sun, etc.

anyway, i'm quitting not because i think i'll live longer, but because i want to enjoy life more and smoking is getting in the way of that. its effecting my energy levels and how i cope with life's hurdles. the real reason to quit smoking is that you can have a better life without the smokes, NOT becuase they will kill you.

but just a tip, telling smokers they will 'die sooner' means nothing to a smoker. they already know that and are already making that trade off.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
I've never smoked cigarettes. Not once. Cigars, on the other hand, are a completely different animal. Cigars are for enjoyment and learning to experience the smoke. I've also cut myself down to one cup of coffee per day, fresh right before I leave for work. No withdrawl headaches at all.

I've turned a couple of brothers at work onto cigars to get them off of cigs altogether. They're appreciative and understand what I'm talking about.

True, there are ramifications with cigars but nothing compared to what big tobacco puts in cigs.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
never had a problem with neither. I cant ell you this.. I had to quit something a little stroger than both to say the least.. moreso than anything it's knowing your triggers and replacing one thought with another.

find something you love that's healthy/not bad for you. whenever you want to do a cup of coffee or a cig, do that instead. When I wanted a hit, I automatically went to smoothie king and got a strawberry bananna smoothie. By the end of the month I was the smoothie king!

of course it's a little more complicated than that, but that more than anything else, just reprogramming the way you think, is more than half the battle

Rudra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
I've never smoked cigarettes. Not once. Cigars, on the other hand, are a completely different animal. Cigars are for enjoyment and learning to experience the smoke. I've also cut myself down to one cup of coffee per day, fresh right before I leave for work. No withdrawl headaches at all.

I've turned a couple of brothers at work onto cigars to get them off of cigs altogether. They're appreciative and understand what I'm talking about.

True, there are ramifications with cigars but nothing compared to what big tobacco puts in cigs.
Mind that one cigar holds an amount of nicotine equivalent to about 2 packs of cigarettes. You don´t inhale them, of course (unless you want to die urgently), but lots of nicotine gets into your bloodstream through the mucous membranes of your mouth anyway. That´s why cigars spin you out, if you aren´t used to them.

What I´m saying is - if you´re trying to get rid of your nicotine addiction, switching to cigars is one of the shyttiest ideas around. It´s like feeding liquor filled sweets to an alcoholic trying to get off the juice.

But if you´re just trying to save your lungs, cigars are sure a way better choice than cigarettes. And they might be a step on the way away from cigarettes.

D!ck Ramsey

Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit smoking 3 years ago.. My secret?

I bought a bunch of toothpicks with tea-tree oil in them..great for dental hygiene and helps satisfy the habit of sucking on something long and skinny. (man that sounds terrible)

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You might be better off replacing your addiction to cigarettes with an addiction to crack.

But seriously, why do you need to replace the cigarette? That's what the nicotine gum and the patch are for. If you want to actually break the addiciton, DO NOT replace it with another one.

I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago and haven't replaced it with anything. There was a period where I was sucking on a lot of mints, but that eventually passed.

Go get yourself the Allen Carr book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking". That's what I used to quit.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
people always say that 'don't smoke you'll die early.' smokers don't care. i mean, if the goal in life was to 'live as long as possible and avoid all risks that might shorten your life span' then no one would drive a car, or drink, or have sex with anyone but a virgin, or expose their skin to anything more than 5 minutes of sun, etc.

anyway, i'm quitting not because i think i'll live longer, but because i want to enjoy life more and smoking is getting in the way of that. its effecting my energy levels and how i cope with life's hurdles. the real reason to quit smoking is that you can have a better life without the smokes, NOT becuase they will kill you.

but just a tip, telling smokers they will 'die sooner' means nothing to a smoker. they already know that and are already making that trade off.
Theres a joke in the movie Kingpin with Woody Harrelson that goes..

Eshmel: "Smoking is bad for you Mr. Munsun, they say its bad for your heart, your lungs,etc.."

Roy(Mr. Munsun): "Really? who's done more research on it than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry. They say its harmless, why would they lie? If youre dead, you cant smoke."

*meaning if their product kills you, you cant buy anymore of it (I always never got that joke, i finally got it after all these years! LOL)

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
You might be better off replacing your addiction to cigarettes with an addiction to crack.
that's not even a joking matter. As someone who has to go though quitting the pipe.. i wish It were a cigarette addiction.

If you like Cigarettes, you smoke a pack a day. if you are hooked on crack, you spend everything you have, pawn eveyrthing you have (if you get to the point where you are literalry using every day), with no regards to nothing else. the high is that powerful.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Today I have decided to quit. But I've tried and failed before (and I hate that), I even read Alan Carr, which worked for about a week. Any other advice?

skirtChaser

Banned
Reaction score
I think smoking weed is a lot better than ciggies, I was interested in this broad a couple of weeks ago and she pulled out a fvcking clove, now that's some fvcking rank 5hit. I went limp when I saw that gay a$$ 5hit.