Question about taking time off from gym

WrEcKLeSS2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically I've been going to the gym for many months straight and I recently got tennis elbow and I have to take a 2 week break total. It has been about a week and a half so far so I should be able to get back to lifting by Friday. I was just wondering if breaks like this after a long period of time are good for the muscles in general? Also, during breaks will alot of atrophy occur?

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
during breaks you'll feel + look like absolute sh1t - yeah they are good but IMO you only need a 1 week break every 3 months or so :)

however, don't worry too much about this, it's not your fault but don't lift too soon so it heals properly :)

DJinTraining06

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
howardalex said:
during breaks you'll feel + look like absolute sh1t - yeah they are good but IMO you only need a 1 week break every 3 months or so :)

however, don't worry too much about this, it's not your fault but don't lift too soon so it heals properly :)

Eveytime i work out lately i feel like im gettin a cold the next day, sometimes even later that same day. I never actually get a cold though, i just get rundown for a few days, sometimes with sniffles and stuff and then it goes away. But no major cold or flu symptoms. Ive wondered if its chronic fatigue or epstein barr, maybe allergies. Ive been to all diff types of doctors. I have had swollen lymph nodes on my neck for like 2 years. I went to an ENt, a neck surgeon, 2 general practioners, took blood tests. ALl seems to be well, and they have no clue why i get sick so much. COuld i just have a bad immune system? Why is it every time i work out? WHen i dont work out i dont get sick that often, but i also feel like a fat lazy a$$. ANybody ever have probs like these? I always feel fatigued.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJinTraining06 said:
Eveytime i work out lately i feel like im gettin a cold the next day, sometimes even later that same day.
Are you staying out in the cold post-workout? Your pores open up during/after working out and it's very easy to get a cold.

Hank Rearden

Banned
Reaction score
WrEcKLeSS2000 said:
Basically I've been going to the gym for many months straight and I recently got tennis elbow and I have to take a 2 week break total. It has been about a week and a half so far so I should be able to get back to lifting by Friday. I was just wondering if breaks like this after a long period of time are good for the muscles in general? Also, during breaks will alot of atrophy occur?
You should be taking breaks in the first place man. It allows your CNS to get back to a good level, and you'll notice you'll put on a lot of muscle at this time.

WrEcKLeSS2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hank Rearden said:
You should be taking breaks in the first place man. It allows your CNS to get back to a good level, and you'll notice you'll put on a lot of muscle at this time.
Alright, ,I will start doing that. How often should I take breaks? Every 3 months or so? For how long 1 week?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How's your nutrition? When I first started working out I used to get headaches and have the runs all the time, I even passed out once while I was doing power cleans. I increased my food intake and cleaned up my diet and now I feel great, I do some kind of work out + BJJ training every single day and rarely take days off. I have noticed that when I take a few days off I come back really strong on the mats.

frozenno1

Reaction score
Breaks are very important for a productive workout but usually no more than a week, however you simply have to have at least 1 light workout during your week off to maintain your shape

SamoJednom

Don Juan
Reaction score
As WA stated to me, don't worry about it. Breaks will do wonders for your body and it wont hurt ya it will definatelly help your body to fully recover from all the lifting you done.

When you have an injury as always your priority will be to get the injury healed. When your healed get up into the lifting again. When you come back from lifting take it easy don't try to do your max lifts before the break because it is not gonna happen for me at least it didn't so just take it easy and work back at it.