Pushing training too far

S

Slyguy

Greatly enjoyed Diesels post and replies in general on bulking up but I have some specific questions:

I've been told that if you have a body type thats not designed to be particuarly big, that sometimes if you push it too far bad stuff can happen.

I tend to only get round to going to the Gym twice a week, so when I do go I tend to go hard. I got help from a trainer with technique and a program and this has been quite effective in taking me from naturally noticeably a little below average build to a bit above average build for age 22/height 1.8m (6 ft). [eg. went from deadlifting the bar (20kg) to deadlifting 60kg].

But i'm wondering about keeping on pushing it hard, as i've been told that if you body types is not built to be big then muscles can start getting pulled away from bones and then the bones try to grow and you can cause permanent pain. And that this is particularly a problem when you do what I do and just try twice a week and lift stuff until you fail trying. Especially lately with as my weights have increased I do get a sometimes get clicking in my joints the day after a workout and this worries me (eg shoulders/elbow/ribs). Perhaps warmdown sets would help? I tend to do one warmup set and then my max set of 8-10 reps each.

Is this stuff about muscle pulling away from bone really a serious issue or is that something that only happens to lifters on steriods who are bigger and pushing it much harder that I ever will?

Does doing weights only twice a week actually make me more susceptible to problems?

Also if I haven't done been to the gym for a couple of weeks (say on holiday) is it cool to just start right back with as heavy as I can do, or is it then advisable to have a slightly reduced first session back?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifting 135 lbs. and lifting twice a week will not give you problems. That is definitely not going hard.

Whoever told you that is full of it.

Listen to your body, not some trainer. A lot of trainers out there are pretty clueless... just think for yourself when someone tells you something.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What Diesel said. When I first started squatting I gained nearly 200 pounds on my max in the first few months. Most of that gain was due to technique however, and after that the gains slowed down a lot. Your body will tell you when you're overdoing it. I lift 4 or 5 times a week without overtraining (although I don't train to failure), so two days a week is no problem. What do you mean by clicking in your joints?